The Student Room Group

Realistic student budget

Hi :smile:

I am considering firming one of my university offers, but as an international student I have some concerns. I therefore wanted to address one of these concerns here on the student room, and hopefully get some useful advice or tips.

I'm trying to make a budget for myself, but it's somewhat difficult to foresee all expenses before actually entering uni, and starting life as a student. I would therefore be grateful if anyone would revise my budget, and give an idea of my predicted outgoings. I understand that every student spend their money in different ways, and that some students live really economical, while others spend money as if they had a full time job. Nonetheless you should be able to see if my budget has any obvious flaws... I have included every expense I think I will have, so if you see anything I have forgotten, please let me know :smile: I would be really grateful!

The budget is for an entire year..

Skjermbilde 2016-04-26 kl. 14.20.59.png
For food, I wouldn't spend any more than £20-25 per week.

In regards to bills (gas and electricity) - have you checked whether the place you're renting (assuming you're not in halls) has them included in your rent?

For travel, I would also budget for going home. You may need to, depending on where you live, look into a bus pass or similar. Your uni will have more information on how these work / cost.

You (and this is a bit difficult to put an amount on tbh) do also need an emergency fund for unexpected costs too.
Original post by Flyole5
Hi :smile:

I am considering firming one of my university offers, but as an international student I have some concerns. I therefore wanted to address one of these concerns here on the student room, and hopefully get some useful advice or tips.

I'm trying to make a budget for myself, but it's somewhat difficult to foresee all expenses before actually entering uni, and starting life as a student. I would therefore be grateful if anyone would revise my budget, and give an idea of my predicted outgoings. I understand that every student spend their money in different ways, and that some students live really economical, while others spend money as if they had a full time job. Nonetheless you should be able to see if my budget has any obvious flaws... I have included every expense I think I will have, so if you see anything I have forgotten, please let me know :smile: I would be really grateful!

The budget is for an entire year..

Skjermbilde 2016-04-26 kl. 14.20.59.png

Are you planning on getting a phone on contract as otherwise that's pretty steep really?
Also £350 on study equipment is a lot unless you are doing an art or course that involves purchasing technology.
As for laundry if you are staying in halls, some launderettes are more like £2.50-£3 a week and dont come with detergent so i d increase that budget. The rest of it seems accurate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending