The Student Room Group

How hard is chemistry A-level?

Hi everyone.
I have received the timetable for the sixth form at my school and they have a system where you choose one subject in each 'block'. Since I have a very vague idea about what university course I want to do, I want to make sure I pick 4 facilitating subjects, or 3 with 1 other A-level.

However, in one of the blocks they have:
- Art
- Music
- Psychology
- BTEC IT
- BTEC H&S
- Chemistry.

Chemistry is the only subject on there that is a facilitating, and to be honest the only subject apart from psychology that I have an interest in doing.

I would like to take it, but my question is: How hard is it? I have heard it's a very challenging subject and apparently is the hardest of the 3 science subjects.

I do ok and I understand the concepts. I would say I'm working at a B grade on additional science and maths. Should I go for it? Or pick something else instead
Original post by Jor64
Hi everyone.
I have received the timetable for the sixth form at my school and they have a system where you choose one subject in each 'block'. Since I have a very vague idea about what university course I want to do, I want to make sure I pick 4 facilitating subjects, or 3 with 1 other A-level.

- Art
- Music
- Psychology
- BTEC IT
- BTEC H&S
- Chemistry.

Chemistry is the only subject on there that is a facilitating, and to be honest the only subject apart from psychology that I have an interest in doing.

I would like to take it, but my question is: How hard is it? I have heard it's a very challenging subject and apparently is the hardest of the 3 science subjects.

I do ok and I understand the concepts. I would say I'm working at a B grade on additional science and maths. Should I go for it? Or pick something else instead

I can only speak from my experience but i can safely say that Chemistry is by far the hardest subject you could take at A-level. I had 100% in my Chem exams at GCSE and ended up with an E in my AS exam. The difference between GCSE and A-level chem is enormous, though, it's very possible to do well as so many have proved but if you're only currently getting a B, honestly i would choose another subject. Though if you do go ahead with it, just make sure you understand the amount of time you will spend doing it :smile:
Original post by Richpeasant
I can only speak from my experience but i can safely say that Chemistry is by far the hardest subject you could take at A-level. I had 100% in my Chem exams at GCSE and ended up with an E in my AS exam. The difference between GCSE and A-level chem is enormous, though, it's very possible to do well as so many have proved but if you're only currently getting a B, honestly i would choose another subject. Though if you do go ahead with it, just make sure you understand the amount of time you will spend doing it :smile:

further maths is definitely harder, perhaps you could argue physics is up there too
Original post by Jor64
Hi everyone.

- Art
- Music
- Psychology
- BTEC IT
- BTEC H&S
- Chemistry.

It's hard, but just as hard as any other 'facilitating' subject. People on TSR put chemistry a level on a pedastal a bit, and this has a domino effect.

I would say if you get an A* or very high A at GCSE, go for it. If you're finding it way too hard, then you can always switch subjects.
Original post by richpanda
further maths is definitely harder, perhaps you could argue physics is up there too

Chemistry is a lot more work than either of those, how hard it is will vary a lot from person to person
I'm currently doing Chemistry A Level alongside Biology, Maths and Physics. Personally, I love it and its my favourite subject, but I have friends that loved it at GCSE and cannot wait to drop it now. If you're willing to put in the effort, you'll be okay. However, I don't think it is the hardest A Level; Physics and Further Maths are harder. In terms of Maths content, our teacher said its all covered in GCSE Higher Tier, so I think that you'll be fine. If you really don't like it you can drop it or switch to another subject.
Original post by samb1234
Chemistry is a lot more work than either of those, how hard it is will vary a lot from person to person

Well I find it easier and much more enjoyable than physics
Reply 7
I did all three last year, these are my opinions
Chemistry, boring afk but pretty easy
Physics, most challenging but most fun
Biology, complete bs which made me want to dip myself in honey and prance into a grizzly bear den

Quick Reply

Latest