The Student Room Group

OCR Physics new syllabus A level

Who is doing the new physics OCR syllabus on here? What do you think of the specimen papers that OCR gave? Is it me or are they really difficult?? I got an A* in GCSE and i can get a good A in the past papers up to 2014 on OCR's website.... But on these new spec papers i get like 50% and i have no idea where i am at with that sort of grade...... Is anyone experiencing the same problems?
Original post by julesaquilina
Who is doing the new physics OCR syllabus on here? What do you think of the specimen papers that OCR gave? Is it me or are they really difficult?? I got an A* in GCSE and i can get a good A in the past papers up to 2014 on OCR's website.... But on these new spec papers i get like 50% and i have no idea where i am at with that sort of grade...... Is anyone experiencing the same problems?

I've moved this to the physics forum :h:

Pretty much. I haven't tried the spec papers on the website, but I'm leaving them for when I feel like I can get an A or something in them.

Have you identified where your mistakes lie in those papers?
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
Pretty much. I haven't tried the spec papers on the website, but I'm leaving them for when I feel like I can get an A or something in them.

Have you identified where your mistakes lie in those papers?

They are awful. I make mistakes pretty much everywhere its just theres so much on experiments and uncertainties and the maths questions are really difficult
They are awful. I make mistakes pretty much everywhere its just theres so much on experiments and uncertainties and the maths questions are really difficult

The experiments do need some time but make sure that when you revise them, you actually understand it. That way you can recall it for longer.

What don't you understand about uncertainties?

There were some tricky questions with maths, but I think that comes down to practise. At GCSE, the questions didn't really need much application. In A-Levels, it seems that applying is the key bit, but again, it should come with practise.

Try and identify your weakest point and start from there. There's still enough time to do well :smile:
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
The experiments do need some time but make sure that when you revise them, you actually understand it. That way you can recall it for longer.

What don't you understand about uncertainties?

There were some tricky questions with maths, but I think that comes down to practise. At GCSE, the questions didn't really need much application. In A-Levels, it seems that applying is the key bit, but again, it should come with practise.

Try and identify your weakest point and start from there. There's still enough time to do well :smile:

There are just long questions like 6 mark ones about how to reduce uncertainties in certain experiments and i never know them aha and there are also loads about evaluating what a guy claims about a certain experiment and i never get those either
There are just long questions like 6 mark ones about how to reduce uncertainties in certain experiments and i never know them aha and there are also loads about evaluating what a guy claims about a certain experiment and i never get those either

Well we would have learned those experiments so I think you just need to outline the main aspects that cause uncertainties in them when you revise. For instance: in Young's double slit experiment, you need to ensure that D >> a so that the fringe spacing is big enough to observe and measure. The bigger D is compared to a, the less uncertainty you have. Little things like this should be noted.

There are a lot of application questions; really, those come down to understanding of the topic or experiment. Just go into deeper detail and ask yourself what sort of things they could ask in the exam. If you can't answer it, search it up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest