The Student Room Group

Why do some English people still look down on Ireland?

Hi, I'm from Northern Ireland. I've moved to England (South) for university this year so this post is related to my experiences thus far.

Anyway, I have come across alot of ignorant people who aren't very aware of cultures outside their own region. In regards to Ireland as a whole, some people that I have met still think that Ireland is a very poor country with no resources.

For instance, I have met a female who is particularly ignorant and almost always boasts about her town and local area. She thinks that there is nothing as great as England and that Ireland is just a backwater dump. While England does have many, many fantastic places, there are also many, many places that are rife with crime and poverty. The town that I have moved to itself is quite isolated from other regions, I get the impression that it's an area that doesn't get as much funding from Westminster. I have travelled quite moderately, to me the area that I am in now is a typical middle class town, it's not out of this world and it's not cosmopolitian and bussling like London. I have certainly been to far better places in the world.

Alot of English people seem to think that we in Ireland live very sheltered lives. Alot of people I talk to think that it is a completely foreign land and are surprised when we have motoroways, Tesco etc. TBH, they give me the impression that they think that we live in cottages and use horse and karts.

It's quite comical actually. Ireland isn't that different to England, I don't know where this view comes from. Do English people in general, just not travel outside their own regions? Do they learn about other countries in School? Why do people in this country still have such ancient views?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because they're idiots with no motivation to learn anything about Ireland.
Reply 2
There's nothing special about Ireland. The kind of people who don't know anything about it also won't know anything about anywhere else.

It's not that they're holding Ireland in any particular contempt, they're just ignorant in general.
It's true that Northern Ireland has been struggling economically and politically for some time. There are very few graduate jobs and there is an on going religious feud since the troubles. The whole place is steeped in religion which is why people from England - which is increasingly atheist and secular - view it suspiciously. You can't drive down a road without flags on lampposts and parades happening. Police officers have to keep their jobs secret out of fear of being blown up in the religious war, and outside of Belfast - which is a small city anyway - there are no other options for young, ambitious graduates. And to top it all off the arts scene is dead. I view it as a step back in time - a place that hasn't developed as quickly due to being cut off from the mainland. There are far better places to live in the UK.
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
There's nothing special about Ireland. The kind of people who don't know anything about it also won't know anything about anywhere else.

It's not that they're holding Ireland in any particular contempt, they're just ignorant in general.

Well there's nothing special about Norfolk either.
Reply 5
Original post by macromicro
It's true that Northern Ireland has been struggling economically and politically for some time. There are very few graduate jobs and there is an on going religious feud since the troubles. The whole place is steeped in religion which is why people from England - which is increasingly atheist and secular - view it suspiciously. You can't drive down a road without flags on lampposts and parades happening. Police officers have to keep their jobs secret out of fear of being blown up in the religious war, and outside of Belfast - which is a small city anyway - there are no other options for young, ambitious graduates. And to top it all off the arts scene is dead. I view it as a step back in time - a place that hasn't developed as quickly due to being cut off from the mainland. There are far better places to live in the UK.

Well that's an exaggeration, we aren't living in poverty. My family are very comfortable and don't have any problems with finances.

The point is that we're not living in a third world country.
Reply 6
Original post by Frostyjoe
Well there's nothing special about Norfolk either.

Exactly.

And if you'd spoken to them about Norfolk, I'm sure they would have thought it was full of six fingered potato farmers.

But that's my point. It's not through malice that they're licking on Ireland. It's because they're ignorant across the board.
Reply 7
Well I know they're ignorant but they seem to look down on Ireland as a whole which I find hypocritical because their own area isn't that amazing itself.

I just wonder why they think Ireland is so poor and lacking.
Well that's an exaggeration, we aren't living in poverty. My family are very comfortable and don't have any problems with finances.

The point is that we're not living in a third world country.

I never said any of that.
Reply 9
Well I know they're ignorant but they seem to look down on Ireland as a whole which I find hypocritical because their own area isn't that amazing itself.

I just wonder why they think Ireland is so poor and lacking.

Because it's an old stereotype and all they know on the subject probably comes from seeing it on old TV shows.
I'm half Irish myself, from EIRE that is.

Ireland is a beautiful place full of picturesque country side and rich culture, I can't imagine why anyone would hold negative stigma towards its people. I'd rather live there than grotty old East Ham.

Of course you can meet paddies who think bad about Brits/Englishmen too.
Hi, I'm from Northern Ireland. I've moved to England (South) for university this year so this post is related to my experiences thus far.

Anyway, I have come across alot of ignorant people who aren't very aware of cultures outside their own region. In regards to Ireland as a whole, some people that I have met still think that Ireland is a very poor country with no resources.

For instance, I have met a female who is particularly ignorant and almost always boasts about her town and local area. She thinks that there is nothing as great as England and that Ireland is just a backwater dump. While England does have many, many fantastic places, there are also many, many places that are rife with crime and poverty. The town that I have moved to itself is quite isolated from other regions, I get the impression that it's an area that doesn't get as much funding from Westminster. I have travelled quite moderately, to me the area that I am in now is a typical middle class town, it's not out of this world and it's not cosmopolitian and bussling like London. I have certainly been to far better places in the world.

Alot of English people seem to think that we in Ireland live very sheltered lives. Alot of people I talk to think that it is a completely foreign land and are surprised when we have motoroways, Tesco etc. TBH, they give me the impression that they think that we live in cottages and use horse and karts.

It's quite comical actually. Ireland isn't that different to England, I don't know where this view comes from. Do English people in general, just not travel outside their own regions? Do they learn about other countries in School? Why do people in this country still have such ancient views?

Allow me to present the Daily Mail worshiping Little Englander.
It is all part of the melting pot that sums up the clan. Only today we see that finally the folks of Liverpool have got justice and their being portrayed as a bunch of whinging thugs turned out to be untrue.

If we look at Northern Ireland, it is reasonable to say it has somewhat of a PR problem, what with The Troubles and the continuing sectarianism that seems prolific in some parts.

So perhaps it is for you to be the ambassador for your clan and use your Irish charm and whit to disarm those who are less well educated.

Good luck!
Because they associate us with "pikeys". Lol
That's nothing mate. When I moved here from South Africa people were surprised we lived in houses, owned television and drove cars. Someone genuinely asked if I saw giraffes on the way to school :lol: and when I was 17 I got into an argument with someone because she didn't believe South Africa had nicer shops than ''River Island'' :lol:

Some people are harmlessly ignorant, whereas others are pig ignorant with no intention of changing. Leave them to it, must be a pretty pathetic existence to believe your town, region or country is the only thing worth knowing in the world.

Because some people haven't been brought up to respect other cultures and viewpoints and probably even haven't been outside of the UK except maybe to France. Those of us who have seen other countries can count ourselves lucky and cultured. They are to be pitied really; travelling opens up your mind
Reply 16
Original post by Drewski
Because it's an old stereotype and all they know on the subject probably comes from seeing it on old TV shows.

I never talk about countries that I have never visited with such restraint.

I am not perfect but I have traveled enough to know that alot of countries are not what we envision them to be. I always take an interest research other countries, these people seem to have a problem with doing that.
(edited 7 years ago)
hoi. oi read tat meyssege in tis ahccent
yer frum nortern ahh-lend so ye sound like tis - hoh hoh hoh. where's ma' guiness laddy?
^you sound like that, we sound like this, lol
Reply 18
You are so right! I cringe when these people talk about other countries, the ignorance is embaressing. The girl that I was talking about hasn't even really travelled around England itsellf, she has been to London once.

I don't know what could be done to educate these people.
Reply 19
Original post by ByEeek
It is all part of the melting pot that sums up the clan. Only today we see that finally the folks of Liverpool have got justice and their being portrayed as a bunch of whinging thugs turned out to be untrue.

If we look at Northern Ireland, it is reasonable to say it has somewhat of a PR problem, what with The Troubles and the continuing sectarianism that seems prolific in some parts.

So perhaps it is for you to be the ambassador for your clan and use your Irish charm and whit to disarm those who are less well educated.

Good luck!

English people have a terrible insight into the day to day goings on in Northern Ireland.

Latest

Trending

Trending