The Student Room Group

UCAS change

Hi, everyone!

Me and my friend were having an argument (well, more like a discussion) about the colleges here at Cambridge. I won't go into great detail about the substance of this discussion, but I myself see the collegiate system as more of a closed-walls type of thing, but he doesn't share my views. He says that colleges aren't what they used to be and that it's so easy to switch between colleges nowadays, which I naturally refuted.

My friend is of the opinion that all we have to do to switch colleges is to make a new UCAS application as per usual (before the 15th of October) to the college we want to switch and get in. If we get in, we switch. If we don't then we stay in our old college. He says that they just let us continue the course where we left off in the other college.

Now, it is my opinion that this procedure is much more complicated than that and is not treated so lightheartedly. I'd assume someone who wants to change needs to get in touch with the Masters of both the college they're at now and the college to which they want to switch, as well as probably providing an academically-sound reason for all the hassle they'll be going through. I have heard of one or two cases where someone changed, but apparently that was something to do with there being more scholars in a given field in that college than in the one they were at, but this is still strange though as I know that it is not seldom that people have supervisions (that's tutorials for you Oxford lot) in other colleges, so I don't see why they'd really have to change.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this? Myself, I'm absolutely certain that my friend is highly mistaken about the process, but I want to be able to show him some evidence from past situations.

Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by foreignbloke
Hi, everyone!

Me and my friend were having an argument (well, more like a discussion) about the colleges here at Cambridge. I won't go into great detail about the substance of this discussion, but I myself see the collegiate system as more of a closed-walls type of thing, but he doesn't share my views. He says that colleges aren't what they used to be and that it's so easy to switch between colleges nowadays, which I naturally refuted.

http://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/new-students/manage-your-student-information/personal-information/changing-colleges

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending