The Student Room Group

whether I should do A-level before medical school

Hi, I really need advice to make a big Decision I'll be completing O-level soon and I was wondering whether it is okay to go straight to medical school without offering A-level
I've not heard of anyone getting to university without A Levels or qualifications equivalent to A Levels. So yes, you will need to do A Levels.
Reply 2
well, my dad says if I get really good marks I could enter the uni without A-level
Original post by Prah
well, my dad says if I get really good marks I could enter the uni without A-level

For medicine? It's extremely unlikely they'd accept someone with no A levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
As O levels are the equivalent of GCSEs, you will not be able to apply to a British medical school without A levels. You should check the universities' entry requirements and show them to your dad if he needs more convincing. It's true that getting good O levels/GCSEs increases the chances of getting into medical school, but you do need good A levels too, usually in Biology and Chemistry plus another academic subject.

TSR has a really good guide on getting into medical school, you should check it out here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine
Original post by Prah

A Levels are essential entry requirements for medicine, so you'd have no hope of getting in without A Levels in the required subjects

If you don't meet their entry requirements, which includes A Levels, they'll just chuck your application straight in the bin without looking further than your qualifications
Reply 6
Original post by Prah

Assuming you're talking about applying to the UK, your dad is wrong.

Many, many medical applicants will have excellent GCSE grades. They ALL still have to get good A-levels and perform well in the relevant entrance tests (UKCAT/BMAT) in order to stand a chance. So will you.
Reply 7
well I was thinking of either applying to the US, Germany or Canada
Original post by Prah
well I was thinking of either applying to the US, Germany or Canada

You will still need higher level qualifications wherever you apply. Plus America is graduate only, and incredibly expensive.
Reply 9
Thanks a lot guys

Quick Reply

Latest