The Student Room Group

GCSE Computer Science or GCSE Statistics

So next year I get to pick some new subjects to study and take as GCSEs and I am stuck between choosing GCSE Computer Science and GCSE Statistics.

I am currently in Year 10 and our school works in a way that you do 1 chosen GCSE in Year 9, 2 chosen + 1 compulsory GCSES, and the rest (2 chosen + 5 compulsory GCSES) in Year 11.

Last year, I completed 2 GCSEs instead of 1 (Arabic and ICT - both chosen). This year I am doing French + Geography (chosen) and Biology (compulsory). Next year, I am doing Business Studies + Computer Science/Statistics (chosen) and English, English Literature, Maths, Physics, Chemistry (compulsory).

I plan on doing A-Level French, Business, Computer Science and Maths. I can use my ICT GCSE to enter the Computer Science course although the content of the course would be quite unfamiliar to me. Statistics I feel is more important and can give me the extra edge when working in business and can accompany my Maths skills also.

What do you guys suggest I should pick? GCSE Computer Science or GCSE Statistics?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
GCSE Computer Science (I assume OCR) is quite difficult. It covers a lot of different topics from ICT, take a look at the specification (page 10) and you can see some of the topics it covers. There's also a 20% controlled assessment in programming, so you need to be fairly confident with being able to write code without help. Specification: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/225975-specification-accredited-gcse-computer-science-j276.pdf

If you're good at Maths, I'd go with Statistics. As you say, it goes with Business Studies.
Reply 2
Thank you for your input. I probably am leaning slightly towards Computer Science to be honest, but do you know if there are controlled assessments in GCSE Statistics? Edexcel more specifically.
HAHAHA RIP IF YOU DO COMPUTER SCIENCE HAHAHA *breaks into tears*
jk
GCSE compsci should be interesting :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by Noor Hamadi
Thank you for your input. I probably am leaning slightly towards Computer Science to be honest, but do you know if there are controlled assessments in GCSE Statistics? Edexcel more specifically.

i will be doing statistics next year and as far as i'm aware there will be coursework and the exam board is Edexcel but it depends on the school. just go ask your maths teacher about statistics and the exam board your school does
Reply 5
Original post by geek567
i will be doing statistics next year and as far as i'm aware there will be coursework and the exam board is Edexcel but it depends on the school. just go ask your maths teacher about statistics and the exam board your school does

Ok thanks, I will do.
Reply 6

Computer Science is an interesting course and I'd definitely take it if you think you can achieve a good grade. I don't personally take Statistics but I had a look at the Edexcel specification (for the old course, there is no sign of a 9-1 course) and there is a controlled assessment on "one major statistical project". Take a look at page 52 of the spec: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Statistics/2009/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/GCSE_Statistics_Spec_2012.pdf
Reply 7
Original post by ATardy1
Computer Science is an interesting course and I'd definitely take it if you think you can achieve a good grade. I don't personally take Statistics but I had a look at the Edexcel specification (for the old course, there is no sign of a 9-1 course) and there is a controlled assessment on "one major statistical project". Take a look at page 52 of the spec: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/Statistics/2009/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/GCSE_Statistics_Spec_2012.pdf

I will still be doing the old course. I will only do the 9-1 course in English, English Literature and Maths.
Reply 8
I will still be doing the old course. I will only do the 9-1 course in English, English Literature and Maths.

Ok, that specification will be correct.
Reply 9
So next year I get to pick some new subjects to study and take as GCSEs and I am stuck between choosing GCSE Computer Science and GCSE Statistics.

I am currently in Year 10 and our school works in a way that you do 1 chosen GCSE in Year 9, 2 chosen + 1 compulsory GCSES, and the rest (2 chosen + 5 compulsory GCSES) in Year 11.

Last year, I completed 2 GCSEs instead of 1 (Arabic and ICT - both chosen). This year I am doing French + Geography (chosen) and Biology (compulsory). Next year, I am doing Business Studies + Computer Science/Statistics (chosen) and English, English Literature, Maths, Physics, Chemistry (compulsory).

I plan on doing A-Level French, Business, Computer Science and Maths. I can use my ICT GCSE to enter the Computer Science course although the content of the course would be quite unfamiliar to me. Statistics I feel is more important and can give me the extra edge when working in business and can accompany my Maths skills also.

What do you guys suggest I should pick? GCSE Computer Science or GCSE Statistics?

I suggest you do statistics as I am currently in year 11 and my friends are doing computer science however I am not. But they regret the day they chose computer science as they don't know what the heck to do and it lacks aim. On the bright side I do statistics and I can offer you advice regarding this matter. Statistics requires coursework which I think is 20-25% and the rest is exams and the coursework is fairly easy depending on your teacher. The exams are somewhat easy but baring in mind that you have to be rather good in maths however some top set students do struggle with statistics exams. Overall keep in mind that the teachers that are teaching these two GCSEs have to be good and I suggest you pick the better teacher if you can't decide on what GCSE to pick.
Reply 10
Original post by yrn37
I suggest you do statistics as I am currently in year 11 and my friends are doing computer science however I am not. But they regret the day they chose computer science as they don't know what the heck to do and it lacks aim. On the bright side I do statistics and I can offer you advice regarding this matter. Statistics requires coursework which I think is 20-25% and the rest is exams and the coursework is fairly easy depending on your teacher. The exams are somewhat easy but baring in mind that you have to be rather good in maths however some top set students do struggle with statistics exams. Overall keep in mind that the teachers that are teaching these two GCSEs have to be good and I suggest you pick the better teacher if you can't decide on what GCSE to pick.

I may be able to convince my Statistics teacher to enter me into the exam, allowing me to work on the controlled assessments after school and I could teach myself the curriculum through books and attend revision sessions. This, accompanied by the work I will be doing in Maths.

As you have an insight on the subject, would you say it is possible to self-teach Statistics especially since I am pretty good at Maths and Business?
I don't recommend computer science tbh. Too hard, not enough resources to help you when your teacher is **** :redface:
Reply 12
Original post by surina16
I don't recommend computer science tbh. Too hard, not enough resources to help you when your teacher is **** :redface:

I feel you, my teacher is actually quite good as he makes resources, but I agree that you literally have barely any resources to revise from. All I have is a poor revision guide and bitesize (bitesize is the best resource)
I would go for statistics as on your CV it counts a GCSE maths grade and for me this really helped as I'm less stressed doing maths in year 11 as I know what I already have an A in stats. Also, in my school computer science is the worst performing subject...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by surina16

Your teacher too? Mine's a joke tbh, I just want to prove that I can pass without his help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did my statistics last year in year 10 and got an A overall. Little disappointed but I was farily happy with the outcome. In terms of the course, if you enjoy Maths and you're competent then take it. I think because I took it early, that could've affected my chances of getting an A* because I have seen my maths ability significantly increase over the past 7/8 months. However, we only have 7 months to learn the content and do the controlled assessment but you now...

Computing (I do OCR)... ew... Maths is my favorite subject and computing is the subject I loathe when I look at my exam timetable - quite ironic. The controlled assessments were quite hard mainly because I've never done any programming before. Oh and not to forget the countless hours I spent trying to code one line of my program... it was quite frustrating and unmotivating at times to be honest and I felt like dropping the course at one point in year 11 (even though I couldn't). I ended with with AB in my two CAs so not too bad. I think computing is a love or hate subject. 75% in my class hat it and 25% love it. The exams aren't too difficult but can be challenging at times.

If I am going to be completely honest, computing is probably the better subject to take even though I hate it.
Reply 16
I do GCSE Computer Science and it quite dificult if you don't fully understand areas in the course however once you gasp it it is quite simple as most areas in the exam are repeated eg logicgate and binary to hexidecimal questions
Do Computing Science, the a level will be quite difficult if you don't have it at GCSE.
I'm currently in year 10, but I chose which GCSE's, non-compulsory subjects I'd like to take in year 9 (History, Business Studies, Computer Science and Art). Obviously, my opinion's quite bias since my school doesn't have the option of statistics, but computer science is my favourite subject no doubt and I find it really interesting. If you're leaning more towards Computer Science then i'd go for it since you're going to want to pick something you actually find intriguing, and not just for what it looks like on paper once it's all over and done with. Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:
This thread is rather old, I suspect the OP might have chosen by now :wink:
Locked.

Latest