The Student Room Group

English lit a level with B grade in GCSE?

I think I am on course for a B this years and I enjoy it.Would I be lacking fundamental basics?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
I went into A-level English Lit after getting a B at GCSE and was absolutely fine. The minimum requirement is a C and they wouldn't set that for no reason, so getting a B you should be fine:smile:
@Rhythmical might be able to help you :awesome:
Original post by Rajive
Anyone?

I'm a bit confused,but am guessing that you want to take English lit for alevel?? hahasorry
I got a B at GCSE and am currently doing a2english lit and am getting a C
So I would definitely take it if it's something you want to do :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by clo_1221009
I'm a bit confused,but am guessing that you want to take English lit for alevel?? hahasorry
I got a B at GCSE and am currently doing a2english lit and am getting a C
So I would definitely take it if it's something you want to do :smile:

Yeah sorry for not making it clear but yeah that is what I plan to do.
Original post by fatima1998
@Rhythmical might be able to help you :awesome:

Spooky! I was on this thread as well!

Original post by Rajive
I think I am on course for a B this years and I enjoy it.Would I be lacking fundamental basics?

Nope, most sixth forms require a B in GCSE English Language and a C in English Literature or GCSE English that combines both. But A Level English Literature is a lot more different to GCSE and they teach you up right from the start so just get a C minimum
Reply 7
Original post by johannarebecca7
I went into A-level English Lit after getting a B at GCSE and was absolutely fine. The minimum requirement is a C and they wouldn't set that for no reason, so getting a B you should be fine:smile:

Ok, for some colleges th specify that they want B as the minimum.
Reply 8
Original post by Rhythmical
Spooky! I was on this thread as well!

Nope, most sixth forms require a B in GCSE English Language and a C in English Literature or GCSE English that combines both. But A Level English Literature is a lot more different to GCSE and they teach you up right from the start so just get a C minimum

Okay thanks
Original post by Rajive
Yeah sorry for not making it clear but yeah that is what I plan to do.

It's no problem don't worry! And I think you'll be fine then, i'm only getting a C and want to be an English teacher and have got a uni place just on a C so yeah haha I think you should go for it :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by clo_1221009
It's no problem don't worry! And I think you'll be fine then, i'm only getting a C and want to be an English teacher and have got a uni place just on a C so yeah haha I think you should go for it :smile:

Congratulations on your uni place, would you say that you felt as if you were behind when you started?
Original post by Rajive
Congratulations on your uni place, would you say that you felt as if you were behind when you started?

Thank you! And not at the start no, I learnt quite a lot and enjoyed it although it was definitely a big step up from GCSE. Although half way into the first yearI got ill and had a lot of time off which made me feel a bit behind and i've been ill recently and had two weeks off, but I think it can be easily caught up if you're willing to
Reply 12
Bump
Original post by Rajive

hey, in reply to your post, I started off the year doing AS English literature, and I dropped around 3 & 1/2 weeks in because i found it too difficult, i also got a B @ gcse on the higher paper (head of 6th form was suprised i got B but she suggested lit in place of language). The teacher agreed that I was struggling in class. Though this may have been because we had an excellent english teacher during gcse however, it depends on which Set in year 11 you are in - i think most sixth forms require a b to do it @ A Level, if your in top sets, you will have more background knowledge regarding terminology and understanding, I kind of regret dropping english lit as i kind of regret it as i should have persevered, but if you enjoy it and there're no specific entry requirements go for it and do it as long as the course is appealing to you and think your good @ it :smile: hope i helped.
Reply 14
Original post by bizzy_penguin
hey, in reply to your post, I started off the year doing AS English literature, and I dropped around 3 & 1/2 weeks in because i found it too difficult, i also got a B @ gcse on the higher paper (head of 6th form was suprised i got B but she suggested lit in place of language). The teacher agreed that I was struggling in class. Though this may have been because we had an excellent english teacher during gcse however, it depends on which Set in year 11 you are in - i think most sixth forms require a b to do it @ A Level, if your in top sets, you will have more background knowledge regarding terminology and understanding, I kind of regret dropping english lit as i kind of regret it as i should have persevered, but if you enjoy it and there're no specific entry requirements go for it and do it as long as the course is appealing to you and think your good @ it :smile: hope i helped.

Thanks, and yes I am in the higher sets. I wouldn't say I thoroughly enjoy literature but I do want to further develop my essay writing skills.
Original post by Rajive
Thanks, and yes I am in the higher sets. I wouldn't say I thoroughly enjoy literature but I do want to further develop my essay writing skills.

ah okay - its probably best if you're in higher sets to do the subject, but even more importantly to do subjects you actually ENJOY (properly), which will make it easier to learn when it comes to revision :smile: may i ask what other subjects your're considering for a level? also have you thought about history? which is considered an essay subject :smile:,
Reply 16
Original post by bizzy_penguin
ah okay - its probably best if you're in higher sets to do the subject, but even more importantly to do subjects you actually ENJOY (properly), which will make it easier to learn when it comes to revision :smile: may i ask what other subjects your're considering for a level? also have you thought about history? which is considered an essay subject :smile:,

Okay, and yes I have thought about History since I haven't done it at GCSE but it looks interesting. I am definitely doing Maths, Economics and probably politics with History/Lit being the fourth subject. What a levels do you do?
Original post by Rajive

Hello,

You will be absolutely fine. I am currently in my last year of sixth form and study English Literature at A-Level. I did not find the jump that great in terms of analysing texts and what you read and so on but you must be prepared to put a lot of effort into your written work. English is largely about how you write things, not what things you write about.
Reply 18
Original post by ivybridge
Hello,

You will be absolutely fine. I am currently in my last year of sixth form and study English Literature at A-Level. I did not find the jump that great in terms of analysing texts and what you read and so on but you must be prepared to put a lot of effort into your written work. English is largely about how you write things, not what things you write about.

Ok thanks
Reply 19
Original post by ivybridge
Hello,

What other subjects are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest