The Student Room Group

AQA Media GCSE 2016

Hi everyone

who's got their pre-release material today and anyone got any predictions on what the questions could be?

Scroll to see replies

can you send the pre lim please
My (DUMB) teacher said the exam is gonna be easy ( she say's everything is easy) She predicted that it's gonna be a movie poster and about promoting a film in unconventional way and examples of online promotion. I think i'm gonna write about plot 2 about the post apocalyptic earth as it seems interesting. Do you guys have any revision sources because she's not being any help she says its too 'easy'. What are the theory of strauss and propp? And do you have to know that? She only taught us todorovs theory.And finally how you guys going to revise and what did you get in your coursework?
Reply 3
My teacher thinks it's probably gunna be a website or an e-media page. I'm gunna choose the second film The Last Day cos you can talk about how science fiction plays on our fears and the idea of what if science goes too far. My plot for my own film will probably be something like scientists do an experiment to try and create life, experiment goes wrong, new species is form, this new species tries to overtake the world by taking host of human bodies, scientists needs to try and find a way of fighting them off and save earth from getting overtaken by aliens. 😂 we've learnt theories in class like Todorov's narrative theory, Propps character theory and character types, binary opposites, passive/active audience, hypodermic needle theory, male gaze theory, uses and gratifications theory and few other... Those were the ones that i can think of from the top of my head, obviously you don't need to mention all of them in the exam but the pre-release material hints that they want believable characters and strong narrative so you should definitely include narrative and character theories. Is Strauss the guy that came up with the binary opposite theory? I can't remember. Hope that helped though 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah I feel like media teachers in general are good for nothings! What do you mean by case studies? I literally have no media knowledge.Oh so when answering a question , do you refer to theorists e.ge Strauss. I've learnt most of the codes and conventions because she made us watch scifi films for a whole YEAR. How much revision are you doing?I think I'm gonna look at past papers aswell and make up some questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Are we allowed to discuss our ideas? I feel as if I shouldn't
My teacher mentioned something about it being a website aswell, your plot is so creative i've yet to think of mine. I want my plot to be super weird and creative but nothing is coming to mind. You know all the theories you;ve mentioned do you have to talk about the theory specifically or do you blend element of the theory into your narrative if that makes sense?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rajive

I agree we probably shouldn't it says on front of the preliminary thing about only being used by teachers and students blabla. The fact teachers arent allowed to teach anymore suggests we're not really supposed to be discussing the contents.
Original post by Rajive

It's not like were gonna copy and if somone does theres thousands of examiners they'll probably never find out. Although media is about being creative, copying someone else's idea defeats the whole purpose of it.
Reply 9
Original post by AsiyaAden9879
It's not like were gonna copy and if somone does theres thousands of examiners they'll probably never find out. Although media is about being creative, copying someone else's idea defeats the whole purpose of it.

The copying isn't in the picture its just...well maybe your right
Original post by jazz_xox_
By case studies I mean the films I have researched and will include in my answers. Yes I will refer to Strauss, Propp and the uses and gratifications theories. TBH im not focussing on media too much but I want to be prepared 100% for the exam otherwise I will stress on the day

Yeah I feel like theres a limit to the amount of revision you can do it's somewhat about common sense and creativity.

I wouldnt put it past AQA to have people checking this forum. Do what you want but be careful not to discuss too much regarding the contents of the preliminary and your direction I guess :smile:
Original post by sapphire79
I wouldnt put it past AQA to have people checking this forum. Do what you want but be careful not to discuss too much regarding the contents of the preliminary and your direction I guess :smile:

Yeah they might get someone to track our ip adresses and personally disqualify us loool
Yeah they might get someone to track our ip adresses and personally disqualify us loool

I cant tell if you're being sarcastic but here's a quote from AQA -
'Social media and online forums can be helpful for revision, exam preparation and connecting with teachers and subject experts. We encourage you to use these online tools but you need to be aware that all exam boards monitor social media sites and online forums for malpractice.

'Source - http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-support/for-students/malpractice
Reply 14
Original post by sapphire79
I cant tell if you're being sarcastic but here's a quote from AQA -
'Social media and online forums can be helpful for revision, exam preparation and connecting with teachers and subject experts. We encourage you to use these online tools but you need to be aware that all exam boards monitor social media sites and online forums for malpractice.

'Source - http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-support/for-students/malpractice

Yep 👌🏾
My teacher basically summarised it down to about 3 possible options:
Q1) Is most likely going to be a reasearch task e.g Tell us how science fiction movies have been succsesfull in the past.
Q2) Will probably ask you about your pitch
Q3) Could ask how your going to market it
and Q4) Will either be a website or a storyboard.

Hope this helps

- LuLu xx
Original post by Planetes
I've got an annotated brief complete with potential questions and areas for research and a revision guide with case studies and model answers for potential questions. Do you guys want that stuff?

Yes please, that would be a great help :smile:
Reply 17
I've got an annotated brief complete with potential questions and areas for research and a revision guide with case studies and model answers for potential questions. Do you guys want that stuff?

Yes please! That would be so useful 🙏

Posted from TSR Mobile
Below is the link for the revision guide, sorry the model answers are still pending but this should be enough till I can get those done. It may seem really dumbed down but it just makes sure you understand everything about the exam too. I'll upload the annotated exam brief once I scan it too. As it's for my school there may be many references to it, I would just ignore them and skip the tips haha.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mbbxvd49hjvg33/Sci%20Fi%20Revision%20Guide.docx?dl=0

Thank you soo much
definitely stuck on how to revise for media

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending