The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Some teachers are saying do question 3 first, then 1, then 2.

Is this alright because I don't know
I got 28/30 on my Speaking & Listening, {38,32,36,9} on my coursework, how much marks out of 60 will I need to get A*? :s-smilie:
If some of the answers are not on the mark scheme but they make sense will I lose marks, not get any or will it be counted as a mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hello654321
Some teachers are saying do question 3 first, then 1, then 2.

Is this alright because I don't know

Yh my teacher said that as well because question 2 contains the least amount of marks so if you don't have enough time then you'll lose less marks than you would if you did question 1 or 3 last.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Yh my teacher said that as well because question 2 contains the least amount of marks so if you don't have enough time then you'll lose less marks than you would if you did question 1 or 3 last.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might do it then
I got 27/30 on my speaking and listening, (32,34,34 and that 6 for reading) on my cw. How many marks will I need to get to get an A in the exam??
Original post by sarahlondon
I got 27/30 on my speaking and listening, (32,34,34 and that 6 for reading) on my cw. How many marks will I need to get to get an A in the exam??

You need 34 - 36
Original post by hello654321
You need 34 - 36

Thank you:h:
Original post by Anmol_.
I asked my teacher and I need 31 marks in the exams for an A. Can anybody tell me how much I would then need for an A*?

Probably 41 because the grade boundaries go up in 10's. I think it's 104 for an A* overal
Is the guide available now??
Anyone have any tips for question 3, part a? It's frustrating really, because I can make points which are perfectly valid (or at least in my opinion they are) yet if they're not in the mark scheme's list of 15 bullet points they're discounted. Is there a technique to know which 15 facts/pieces of information to use?
Original post by Tasha_140
Anyone have any tips for question 3, part a? It's frustrating really, because I can make points which are perfectly valid (or at least in my opinion they are) yet if they're not in the mark scheme's list of 15 bullet points they're discounted. Is there a technique to know which 15 facts/pieces of information to use?

Wait so even if the points are valid and they make sense they won't be counted as a point if its not in the mark scheme? But then how is that fair? How will we know which points to do??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 172
Any predictions for what text type question 1 will be?
Original post by Tasha_140

I got told that picking the most obvious things are good. My teacher also mentioned that for question 2... Separate each point into paragraphs so the marker doesn't have to search for it because they apparently just spend like 5 mins in each paper so make it very obvious.
I got 47/50 in the coursework and 29/30 in the speaking and listening ( It was so fun!)Anyways i need 35/50 to hit and a* considering in my my last 3 mocks i've gotten 44, 43 and 45 I feel confident. If anyone needs tip or tricks feel free to ask!
Original post by AsiyaAden9879
I got 47/50 in the coursework and 29/30 in the speaking and listening ( It was so fun!)Anyways i need 35/50 to hit and a* considering in my my last 3 mocks i've gotten 44, 43 and 45 I feel confident. If anyone needs tip or tricks feel free to ask!

Yes please! Could you run over how you do each question.... And any tips you have? Really appreciate it
Original post by ibte10
I am not 100% sure tbh. In my school the teachers are moderating our coursework and i think at the end of the week the marks get sent.

with ours it gets sent off and if it's been harshly done we all get an increase...or vice versa which worries me :s-smilie:
@DamnDaniel2 Yea, I'm pretty sure you only get awarded marks for the points in the mark scheme - or at least that's how it's always been when I've gotten back mocks. I've never gotten 15/15 - even though when I've been sure all my points have been valid - because they were not all listed in the scheme

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FaithKG
Yes please! Could you run over how you do each question.... And any tips you have? Really appreciate it

Question 1: (45 MINUTES) Make sure to respond to all three bullet point equally, You can lose marks if you don't. Make sure to use your own word all the time where possible. To get to band 1 you need to develop your point infer what the writer is saying and develop it in your own way. E.g. If your talking about skiing and they say you have to be in the correct position, talk about safety benefits, say why they say that. If you stay at a hotel and they make you take out the bin bags, say you feel like a servant etc. If chairs are clumped together say that you have no privacy and that you feel that your privacy has been invaded meaning its suffocating.(I'm referring to past papers by the way) Anyway, make sure you refer to 4 points on each bullet point, well developed. Make sure you spag is flawless and be creative! BUT DON'T MAKE ANYTHING UP examiners get angry when students do this.

Question 2 (30 minutes) There are 2 bullet points for each one before you start analysing give an overall impression you won't be in the top band unless you do it. Say the writer gives an overall impression of ( say what is happening in the paragraph) then start analysing, be as creative as possible, refer to literary feature to show off to the examiner even if they don't ask. Basic PEE. Then talk the image created by the word/phrase, DON'T SAY IT CREATES A POWERFUL IMAGERY. Describe the image, paint a picture don't go into too much detail do this for four phrase on each bullet point.

Question 3 (45 minutes) Ngl this question is where I lose marks but I still have some tips because I'm still improving. Go through the passage underline the facts related to the context of the question make sure it's a strong point. Weak one ( I tend to use #sorrynotsorry) are not on the mark scheme despite being valid. I suggest turning them into your own words but not too much that you change the meaning so the 5 marker is easier. Also make sure you don't repeat the same point or a similar point because they're really harsh. If you find more than 15 try to fit them into the line where you feel that the answer not strong enough just to be on the safe safe.For the 5 marker just make sure ALL 15 bullet points are referred to and that it flows well in your OWN words as far as possible. Make sure you spag is on point aswell.
Make sure your timing is good 2 hours seems long but it goes by hella fast. Time flies when your having fun!

Anyways thats it good luck on this exam, HOPE YOU ALL DO WELL!:smile:
Life saver! Thank you soooooo much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending