The Student Room Group

Changing Courses at University (received and accepted offer from that University)

Hello everyone,
This is my first post on thestudentroom and I am here to ask you fellow people for some advice. I would like to know if it is possible to change courses before I actually go to university. I have already received and accepted an offer(firm choice) for Chemistry at the University of Birmingham (ABB). However If possible I would like to change courses to Computing (Computer Science). Currently I am studying Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science.

The reason I want to change courses is not because I dislike chemistry, in fact I find it very interesting(that's why I applied to it). But over time (after I submitted the UCAS application) as I was doing my coursework, I found Computer Science a lot more interesting and enjoyable. It's not the end of the world for me if I don't get to change courses but I honestly would really love to study computer science at university instead of chemistry.

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys and girls can please help me out,
Reply 1
Original post by Klei
Hello everyone,
This is my first post on thestudentroom and I am here to ask you fellow people for some advice. I would like to know if it is possible to change courses before I actually go to university. I have already received and accepted an offer(firm choice) for Chemistry at the University of Birmingham (ABB). However If possible I would like to change courses to Computing (Computer Science). Currently I am studying Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science.

The reason I want to change courses is not because I dislike chemistry, in fact I find it very interesting(that's why I applied to it). But over time (after I submitted the UCAS application) as I was doing my coursework, I found Computer Science a lot more interesting and enjoyable. It's not the end of the world for me if I don't get to change courses but I honestly would really love to study computer science at university instead of chemistry.

I would greatly appreciate it if you guys and girls can please help me out,

CompSci has a higher typical offer at Birmingham (AAA). Are you likely to achieve that? If so you can ask Birmingham if they would consider you for CompSci. They may say no...

More info here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15921-changing-your-mind
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
CompSci has a higher typical offer at Birmingham (AAA). Are you likely to achieve that? If so you can ask Birmingham if they would consider you for CompSci. They may say no...

More info here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15921-changing-your-mind

I am targeted an A for Maths, A for Computer Science and a B for chemistry. I think if work really hard I would be able to atleast get those 3 As *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the link, I will try to contact them as soon as I can.
Reply 3
Original post by Klei
I am targeted an A for Maths, A for Computer Science and a B for chemistry. I think if work really hard I would be able to atleast get those 3 As *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the link, I will try to contact them as soon as I can.

Contact details are on their pages:
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/computer-science/computer-science.aspx?OpenSection=EntryRequirements

Probably best to ring them asap... Take a note of the name of whoever you speak to and what they say, then follow up the conversation with an email so you have it in writing.
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Contact details are on their pages:
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/computer-science/computer-science.aspx?OpenSection=EntryRequirements

Probably best to ring them asap... Take a note of the name of whoever you speak to and what they say, then follow up the conversation with an email so you have it in writing.

Will do, I'll try to ring them tomorrow when I get home from school. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending