The Student Room Group

University Resit Question

Hi guys!

I'm about to sit my final 3rd Year exam for Marketing on Thursday. Still to get grades back for another 2 modules but I have a strong feeling I have failed one of my essays and possibly an exam.

I was stupid enough to book (and fully pay) a holiday abroad at the time when the resits are occurring at my University and after asking a lecturer about this I was told, as expected, that if I had to resit anything I would have to cancel the holiday as there was no other options.

Does anyone know the truth in this and if there is any way I could get around it if I have indeed failed a module?
Original post by Simbalele
Hi guys!

I'm about to sit my final 3rd Year exam for Marketing on Thursday. Still to get grades back for another 2 modules but I have a strong feeling I have failed one of my essays and possibly an exam.

I was stupid enough to book (and fully pay) a holiday abroad at the time when the resits are occurring at my University and after asking a lecturer about this I was told, as expected, that if I had to resit anything I would have to cancel the holiday as there was no other options.

Does anyone know the truth in this and if there is any way I could get around it if I have indeed failed a module?

Yes that is the truth, the uni won't go out of their way to arrange an exam just for one person because they were on holiday during the exam period. Also you could gain an unfair advantage if say a coursemate took the resit paper during the resit period and you took it after.
Reply 2
Well, obviously you'd have to cancel, not sure what you're expecting. Universities don't move exams to suit you.
If you've failed, the last thing you should be thinking about is dancing off on holiday.
The people who decide aboyt resist will be your department. They have told you no. They may have an appeals procedure, but I wouldnt waste the time, becayse they are not going to alter exams becayse you have failed and booked a holiday. Chec the terms of your insurance to see if you ahve any cancelation cover which applies. I would have thought youd be more bothered by your degree, the thing thats costing you £50k.

Quick Reply