The Student Room Group

I was called sadistic, manipulative and spiteful by a teacher today

Scroll to see replies

Are you by any chance a very jealous person who is incredibly discontent with their life?
How you've described yourself and people like you... Nothing brings out an evil streak in me more than this type of person. Honestly nothing would give me more pleasure than to give you a go of what you enjoy doing to others and see how long it takes to grind you down.

Clearly you were either spoilt as a kid and never experienced anything to give you sufficient powers of sympathy/empathy or you are learning from example and your parents behaved in this sadistic way maybe putting it down to 'having a laugh' (but it's at other peoples expense so yeah... Doesn't really count = **** humour/isn't funny).

Learn now before someone bites back.
Reply 22
Original post by infairverona
I'm surprised you're so quick to sabotage someone else's work when you're only getting As and Bs yourself. Like you're hardly getting straight A*s, As and Bs are nothing to write home about.

It depends how this person approached you. There's always that one person who doesn't turn up or makes no effort and then wants your notes or advice on an essay etc. If they were asking for your answers or something and it was a repeat performance I can see why you would do what you did, but I wouldn't condone it. If it was a class you're good at and someone asked you for your help nicely and you deliberately gave them wrong answers then I think your teacher is right.

I never said I was a top student. I'm not bragging about my grades, someone asked me about them so I replied.

Original post by tanyapotter
Are you by any chance a very jealous person who is incredibly discontent with their life?

Good question. Yes, I think I am quite a jealous person. If there is something I can't have or do, then I don't like to see others with that and on one occasion I purposely caused conflict between another students relationship which caused them to break up, partly because I hated this person so I felt it was deserved. I probably should not have done that though, was kinda wrong I guess.

As for being discontent with life, perhaps not life, but certain aspects of my life I am unhappy with. I'd rather not go into those specific things but there's certainly some things I'd change if I had the power to.
Original post by johannarebecca7
I'm not psychologist but it sounds like you have a lot of sociopathic traits. Which isn't a bad thing depending on the situation.

sociopathic traits with no moral code* I'd say
Reply 24
Original post by Little Popcorns
How you've described yourself and people like you... Nothing brings out an evil streak in me more than this type of person. Honestly nothing would give me more pleasure than to give you a go of what you enjoy doing to others and see how long it takes to grind you down.

Clearly you were either spoilt as a kid and never experienced anything to give you sufficient powers of sympathy/empathy or you are learning from example and your parents behaved in this sadistic way maybe putting it down to 'having a laugh' (but it's at other peoples expense so yeah... Doesn't really count = **** humour/isn't funny).

So my actions really are not normal? As in other people don't do this stuff either? I see loads of people at school playing pranks on others though... Do you think this will all come back round to bite me later on in life, during my career or something? :s-smilie:
Original post by Little Popcorns

I reckon it's more of a innate since-birth thing as opposed to empathy being learnt.
Reply 26
Original post by Bellamy2000
I wanted your opinion on whether this is true or not. Today one of my teachers got super angry with me and called me sadistic, manipulative and spiteful all because she found out I helped a class mate get wrong answers on his coursework. I thought it would be funny and just wanted to see how ridiculously wrong I could make his answers, it was just a laugh really.

So for the last few years, since about the age of 10 I noticed that I do actually enjoy seeing people fail, hurt themselves or just struggle and I've always acted in a way which potentially makes it worse for that person, rather than help them. I've also noticed that I'm very manipulative, I don't really care who I upset as long as I end up getting my way. My parents have called me up on this before but I've never really taken notice, until today when my teacher also said it.

I just realised I have absolutely no empathy for anybody, I just target people who I feel would make my life easier and then exploit their weaknesses and use them to make my life better somehow. It's actually pretty messed up when I think of it like that. The thing that's strange is I simply don't care about doing it though, I just have no regrets when I look back on it.

I do have "friends" at school but again I don't really like them, I just befriend and use them to make my life more pleasant. I've also manipulated my parents, siblings and teachers in order to achieve various things.

Is my teacher right? Am I really a sadistic, manipulative spiteful person or does everyone do this? Doesn't everyone do this sort of thing? I thought it was pretty common, plus it's kind of fun to see how far you can push things.

I thought about going to the head teacher to report what she said but I'd probably get in more trouble than she would so, I'll just let it go.

What are your thoughts?

[video="youtube;X1QQD7MVehY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1QQD7MVehY[/video]
Reply 27
Original post by HOLA255

Very funny...
So my actions really are not normal? As in other people don't do this stuff either? I see loads of people at school playing pranks on others though... Do you think this will all come back round to bite me later on in life, during my career or something? :s-smilie:

Your actions are a lot more grave when you toy about with someone's future prospects. Although pranks at school may not be pleasant or nice, you've now potentially affected the rest of his life by playing with his exam answers, so his exam results, which college he gets into, university, university subjects, employment prospects and appeal. You can screw up an opportunity for them.

You don't need to aim to help people in life, but it is immoral and bad when you actively obstruct them. If you can help them though, all the better. People would appreciate you more and value you as a person if you avoided hurting them and started helping them. I'm sure you can do it. :smile:
Reply 29
Very funny...

I'm serious.
Reply 30
Original post by XcitingStuart
Your actions are a lot more grave when you toy about with someone's future prospects. Although pranks at school may not be pleasant or nice, you've now potentially affected the rest of his life by playing with his exam answers, so his exam results, which college he gets into, university, university subjects, employment prospects and appeal. You can screw up an opportunity for them.

You don't need to aim to help people in life, but it is immoral and bad when you actively obstruct them. If you can help them though, all the better. People would appreciate you more and value you as a person if you avoided hurting them and started helping them. I'm sure you can do it. :smile:

Here Here.
Reply 31

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll start to think more carefully about my decisions. Helping people is boring though, don't you agree? Sure I could have given him the right answers but then what's my reward? At least I got a laugh out of the teacher asking him to explain his reasoning. Was actually hilarious.

Nevertheless thanks for your advice.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd believe them, teachers are good at spotting talent.
What sort of exam was it? One that actually counted towards his GCSE?
Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll start to think more carefully about my decisions. Helping people is boring though, don't you agree? Sure I could have given him the right answers but then what's my reward? At least I got a laugh out of the teaching asking him to explain his reasoning. Was actually hilarious.

From what you say you dont help people you just help yourself and if need be at their expense.
Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll start to think more carefully about my decisions. Helping people is boring though, don't you agree? Sure I could have given him the right answers but then what's my reward? At least I got a laugh out of the teaching asking him to explain his reasoning. Was actually hilarious.

Helping people may be boring, so don't do that.

How about making a legacy, and a good one. That'd be fun. Or do your best to contribute to a field. Make advancements somewhere. Gain followers and make change. Be able to say "I was able to erase hunger or the lack of sanitised water here, here and here." So you are always remembered in a good light. More difficult, think of it as a challenge. You needn't find helping people fun, but don't breach a moral code you can make. One with the core tenet of not infringing on others and their ability of carrying out life. So then you're not betraying yourself but not betraying others.
Reply 36
Original post by 999tigger
From what you say you dont help people you just help yourself and if need be at their expense.

I guess this is true. I'm only just now realising it.

Helping people may be boring, so don't do that.

How about making a legacy, and a good one. That'd be fun. Or do your best to contribute to a field. Make advancements somewhere. Gain followers and make change. Be able to say "I was able to erase hunger or the lack of sanitised water here, here and here." So you are always remembered in a good light. More difficult, think of it as a challenge. You needn't find helping people fun, but don't breach a moral code you can make. One with the core tenet of not infringing on others and their ability of carrying out life. So then you're not betraying yourself but not betraying others.

I've never been one for charity. I'll help my mum with the shopping bags and that's pretty much it.
Reply 37
Original post by 999tigger
What sort of exam was it? One that actually counted towards his GCSE?

It wasn't an exam, it was a piece of coursework, it does count towards your final grade though. He never asked me for help before, in fact I barely speak to him outside of class and when he came to ask me I just saw an opportunity for a bit of fun. I guess I just didn't care if he would fail that piece of coursework because of my actions. Like I said I'll try and think a bit more before I act in future.
I reckon it's more of a innate since-birth thing as opposed to empathy being learnt.

I don't think so, once you recognise it unless you're brain damaged/autistic or suffer some other developmental disorder that affects your brain, it's not something you can't teach yourself out of or practice yourself into (sympathy/empathy).
Yeah a lot of people play pranks and things that's pretty normal and occasionally they backfire as with a lot of things in life, not everything goes to plan. Usually pranks have repurcussions that you can laugh off after a bit even if pissed off to start with. But if you honestly feel that you're going through life not really bothered about anyone else and doing things to satisfy your own humour or own needs often at other peoples expense and even enjoying their failure/pain etc then no that's not okay. For starters and from what I've experienced, whilst there are many a dick head out there, they still most often have a soft centre and do care... if that feeling for other people really isn't accessible to you at all, then I'd say that's worrying.

Obviously when someone doesn't like someone else it's normal for them to harbour the kinds of thoughts about them like the ones you describe. But if that kind of callousness is there for people in general then you should nip that in the bud.

Honestly if you're getting the grades you say you are you're not stupid teach yourself a bit of empathy/sympathy...
But don't get so hung up on being perfect, noone's perfect and when you're too nice people will walk all over you. Equally if you don't look after yourself noone will, so there is some merit in being selfcentred sometimes.
(edited 7 years ago)
It wasn't an exam, it was a piece of coursework, it does count towards your final grade though. He never asked me for help before, in fact I barely speak to him outside of class and when he came to ask me I just saw an opportunity for a bit of fun. I guess I just didn't care if he would fail that piece of coursework because of my actions. Like I said I'll try and think a bit more before I act in future.

Tbh it does sound like you might just be being a bit of a goon and not having any forethought half the time so yeah think before you act.

Quick Reply

Latest