The Student Room Group

Latin Literature- 10 mark and 8 mark exemplars

Hello everyone. I am studying for my Latin GCSE with OCR, and I am finding many mixed messages with the 10 marker and 8 marker. I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice on these?
My teacher set me a 10 marker on Nisus and Euryalus: the passage was lines 433-440, and I thought I'd share with you my answer. Could someone tell me how good it is as an answer or if it is absolutely terrible? I know for a fact it isn't 10 marks!

Firstly, Virgil repeatedly uses the passive mood, such as "volvitur" and "moratur", which gives the effect of Euryalus being unable to do anything and the surroundings being more powerful. This is further shown through the vivid and detailed description of Euryalus' death. Virgil uses a simile to describe the way in which Euryalus dies; by extensively describing the event, Virgil is explaining the true scale of the event, and the nature of his death. Within the simile, Virgil uses adjectives such as "purpureus", which translates to "purple". This use of colour, and in its simple form, i.e. not comparative or superlative, lessens the gory side of the event, through the simile and not by using a direct strong metaphor. In addition, the description, such as "flos succisus aratro"- a flower cut down by a plough- compares his death to a flower, and a poppy (papavera). By using such gracious and elegant nouns, this is a further way that Virgil describes the death, and softens the true impact. This, altogether, slows down the pace of the event, to which Virgil rapidly juxtaposes this. He writes "Nisus ruit" in the line after- Nisus rushed. By so rapidly switching to Nisus' actions, Virgil is showing a contrast between the seemingly elegant and slow death of Euryalus and the faster actions of Nisus in pursuit of Volcens.

As it's not long until the exams, I was wondering if any larger knowledge could aid me in these types of questions, or knows of any exemplar answers with a high number of marks they could donate to me?
Hi, I'm doing Nisus and Euryalus for GCSE Latin as well!
I can't really mark the question for you since I don't know the question you had and am not sure what you get marks for anyway (haha), but I can see that it's really good! You've argued your points well, I guess you could just add more?

As general tips for the 8 marker:
-Refer to the text as a whole, there is no need to quote stuff
-Have a proper structure including short introduction and conclusion
-Come up with points (not sure how many) for the side you are arguing for, but you can cover both sides

For the 10 marker, basically do the same but do quote, and do PEA or whatever (basically analyse words used). Also think about word order e.g. why is a certain word at the beginning or end of a sentence/line and chiasmus etc. Then make sure you answer the question!
Original post by pixiefuller
Hi, I'm doing Nisus and Euryalus for GCSE Latin as well!
I can't really mark the question for you since I don't know the question you had and am not sure what you get marks for anyway (haha), but I can see that it's really good! You've argued your points well, I guess you could just add more?

As general tips for the 8 marker:
-Refer to the text as a whole, there is no need to quote stuff
-Have a proper structure including short introduction and conclusion
-Come up with points (not sure how many) for the side you are arguing for, but you can cover both sides

For the 10 marker, basically do the same but do quote, and do PEA or whatever (basically analyse words used). Also think about word order e.g. why is a certain word at the beginning or end of a sentence/line and chiasmus etc. Then make sure you answer the question!

Thanks! Sorry if my reply is really late!
But I'll be sure to take on your points and ideas-
How are you feeling about the Latin papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Thanks! Sorry if my reply is really late!
But I'll be sure to take on your points and ideas-
How are you feeling about the Latin papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm feeling pretty good about the Language papers, bit worried about the Literature papers because I still have a lot of the texts to memorise.
What about you?
Reply 4
ahhhh I'm so scared for the language paper tomorrow! I'm currently getting As in practise papers and I need an A* IF I want to do it for A level! Any tips for last minute revision?
I'm feeling pretty good about the Language papers, bit worried about the Literature papers because I still have a lot of the texts to memorise.
What about you?

I have loads of pressure on me to do well, because the teachers have said that if I get an A/A*, then they will bring Latin into the curriculum at our school...

But overall I'm kinda confident.

At least...based on how good the exams are going, I'm expecting an equus who takes selfies...
Original post by Crobby
ahhhh I'm so scared for the language paper tomorrow! I'm currently getting As in practise papers and I need an A* IF I want to do it for A level! Any tips for last minute revision?

If you have one, go through the keywords list. Translate some pieces of Latin from other sources- any Latin you can ingrain in your mind.
[That doesn't look like a real word when written...'ingrain']
Hi,
I am doing the Aeneid too. I got some 8 mark practise questions and tips from my Latin teacher, I think she is a really good teacher. I use the zigzag notes for 10 mark questions or really any analysis- they are really good but I need to learn it. I will put the questions and tips on here.

Possible 8 mark questions:-
1. What details in Virgil's tale of N and E strike you as tragic?
2.How does Virgil create suspense in the tale of N and E?
3.What makes Virgil's account of N and E story dramatic?
4.How does Virgil portray the characters of both N and E?
5. How does Virgil sustain our interest in the story of N and E?
6.What do you think are the key themes in Virgil's story of N and E?
7.What are the similarities and differences between the characters of N and E?
8.How sympathetically does Virgil treat N and E?
9. How does Virgil engage the audience in the story of N and E?
10. In your opinion, do N and E deserve their fate?

Tips :-
-This question is a mini essay write in sentences and paragraphs
-you will not have time for a long intro or conclusion
-you are not expected to quote or refer to the Latin in your answer
-aim to show knowledge of all the lines in of book 9 we have read, not just the bits printed in the paper
-spend 10-15 minutes writing it
-write approx 1.5 sides of normal writing on A4 as a rough guide
-plan using bullet points before you start
I have loads of pressure on me to do well, because the teachers have said that if I get an A/A*, then they will bring Latin into the curriculum at our school...

At least...based on how good the exams are going, I'm expecting an equus who takes selfies...

we are lucky we dont take aqa latin....
Reply 9
can't see why people bother with latin , its basically useless
Original post by amarmalhotra1
we are lucky we dont take aqa latin....

AQA don't do Latin do they?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find the Language 1 paper today? :smile:
Reply 12
I was pleased with paper 1 today

I hope paper 2 isn't really hard
How did you find the Language 1 paper today? :smile:

Overall I liked it.
I made a few stupid mistakes, such as originally making Venus a god...but overall it was okay.

I'm still annoyed about "a me superati" though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Overall I liked it.
I made a few stupid mistakes, such as originally making Venus a god...but overall it was okay.

I'm still annoyed about "a me superati" though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I liked it too, not too bad and there was nothing really unexpected unlike in some of the other exams I've done so far! :wink:

Ah yeah how was it supposed to be translated?
Yeah I liked it too, not too bad and there was nothing really unexpected unlike in some of the other exams I've done so far! :wink:

Ah yeah how was it supposed to be translated?

Well, I couldn't think of anything that could link with "[superati] from me", and I couldn't for the life of me recall any verbs I knew which are like the word 'super'- i.e. on top of, before etc.

So when I got home and found out it was 'overcome' oe, that annoyed me.

But that's only 3 stupid marks...
Original post by roxy100
I was pleased with paper 1 today

I hope paper 2 isn't really hard

I'm hoping it's of roughly the same as Paper 1.
When I can say I'm happy with both Paper 1 and Paper 2, that's when I can relax for the Lit papers.
I was confused about how to translate 'velle' in the question that said what did he exclaim so I just put he would compete with her too but I am not sure if that was right. Also I have a horrible feeling that Friday's paper is going to be so much harder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending