The Student Room Group

Physics at Manchester or Durham?

I have to narrow it down between these 2 unis for my firm offer. I've visited both and think they are both very good universities, but just can't come to a conclusion on which one to choose. Does anyone have their own thoughts if they had to choose between them??
I studied at Durham. It has a very good physics course and is a very pleasant place to live. Manchester is also very good for physics and has broader research interests, though I think the quality of research is about the same. Durham has slightly better students, and a harder course with exams at the end of the year only, except for a few modules. Durham as a whole seems to put more people into good finance jobs if that's your thing, although in practice I don't think the choice will impact your individual prospects. I think you should just go with whichever place you liked better to be honest.
Manchester Physics undergrad here, I'd say Manchester would be the better choice in terms of course content as you take around 10 different modules + lab a year where you study a specific field in depth whereas at Durham for example you only do what seems to be 4 modules in the first year + lab.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Manchester Physics undergrad here, I'd say Manchester would be the better choice in terms of course content as you take around 10 different modules + lab a year where you study a specific field in depth whereas at Durham for example you only do what seems to be 4 modules in the first year + lab.

That's only a difference in the modular structure of the two universities. One module at Durham = two modules at Manchester since one module typically contains two to three lecture courses whereas a module at Manchester contains one. There are some differences in the ranges of topics covered but I think you'll a course at either cover about the same amount of content.
Reply 4
There are two Nobel laureates in the department at Manchester. :u:

However, I wasn't convinced by the campus. It is huge. If you live in the Fallowfield area, you will have to walk for 30 minutes (2 miles) to reach the school of Physics and the rest of the campus.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=mapzen_foot&route=53.4426%2C-2.2186%3B53.4678%2C-2.2303#map=13/53.4565/-2.2086

Also, check the rents; they can be expensive in Durham.
Original post by Josb
There are two Nobel laureates in the department at Manchester. :u:

However, I wasn't convinced by the campus. It is huge. If you live in the Fallowfield area, you will have to walk for 30 minutes (2 miles) to reach the school of Physics and the rest of the campus.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=mapzen_foot&route=53.4426%2C-2.2186%3B53.4678%2C-2.2303#map=13/53.4565/-2.2086

Also, check the rents; they can be expensive in Durham.

Campus size doesn't really matter as you're only ever in the Physics building apart from in first year where you have to go to a bigger lecture theater for Brian Cox. If you live in Fallowfield there's buses that come every minute and the bus ride is around 10 minutes to the campus.
Reply 6
Thanks for everyone's replies.
Another thing I have to consider is the offers - both unis gave me a conditional, expecting A*A*A from me. If I'm not able to achieve this, how likely is it that either of the unis still accept me onto the course (say if I get A*AA instead of A*A*A for example)? I feel like manchester would be more likely to do so than Durham but this is just a guess.
Original post by mickel_w
Thanks for everyone's replies.
Another thing I have to consider is the offers - both unis gave me a conditional, expecting A*A*A from me. If I'm not able to achieve this, how likely is it that either of the unis still accept me onto the course (say if I get A*AA instead of A*A*A for example)? I feel like manchester would be more likely to do so than Durham but this is just a guess.
I do know people that have got in to Manchester with A*AA, though a lot of them also did other things like EPQ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending