The Student Room Group

New car or 2nd hand for new professional?

Hi there, just wanted some advice on a few scenarios about my plans about buying a new car ( I am 25 this year)

I am graduating this year and will have a pre reg in a pharmacy for a year, I am going to use a 11 year old Toyota which is my dad's 2nd car for the pre reg year ( will pay for petrol and running costs myself) but wanted a different car next year when I have a higher paying grad scheme job ( £28-30000 hopefully) So here are my options;

1. Use the Toyota for a year and a half and look to buy a car end of 2017. I would have saved up nearly £3500 ( hopefully). I am looking at a BMW 16 116d right now which is nearly 23K so a new model next year would be around the same. I use my savings plus proceeds of selling my old car and get a PCP and pay around £300-350 a month to have brand new BMW

2. Instead of a brand new car, I have looked at some 3/4 year old C-class and Audis A4 for around 13-15K, so i use my savings and ask my dad to fund the rest ( which i will pay him back monthly)

3. Final option, I look for a non executive used car so Civics, Auris, Golf, Astras which again come under the £12-14K range with financing it as option 2.

What do you guys think? The insurance on these cars are in the range of £750-900 for someone who would have had the license for 2-3 years? Let me know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by sachinisgod
Hi there, just wanted some advice on a few scenarios about my plans about buying a new car ( I am 25 this year)

I am graduating this year and will have a pre reg in a pharmacy for a year, I am going to use a 11 year old Toyota which is my dad's 2nd car for the pre reg year ( will pay for petrol and running costs myself) but wanted a different car next year when I have a higher paying grad scheme job ( £28-30000 hopefully) So here are my options;

1. Use the Toyota for a year and a half and look to buy a car end of 2017. I would have saved up nearly £3500 ( hopefully). I am looking at a BMW 16 116d right now which is nearly 23K so a new model next year would be around the same. I use my savings plus proceeds of selling my old car and get a PCP and pay around £300-350 a month to have brand new BMW

2. Instead of a brand new car, I have looked at some 3/4 year old C-class and Audis A4 for around 13-15K, so i use my savings and ask my dad to fund the rest ( which i will pay him back monthly)

3. Final option, I look for a non executive used car so Civics, Auris, Golf, Astras which again come under the £12-14K range with financing it as option 2.

What do you guys think? The insurance on these cars are in the range of £750-900 for someone who would have had the license for 2-3 years? Let me know!

A newish second hand car is probably best
Original post by M14B
A newish second hand car is probably best

So option 2?

Also what are the maintenance costs for Audi's and Mercs.. been told they are substantially higher than other cars? I mean to say what is the probability that a 3 year C class with less than 20K milege will have many problems and needs repairs?
Reply 3
So option 2?

Also what are the maintenance costs for Audi's and Mercs.. been told they are substantially higher than other cars? I mean to say what is the probability that a 3 year C class with less than 20K milege will have many problems and needs repairs?

Have looked at say cars like Lexus 200?
Reply 4
So option 2?

Maintenance costs for Mercs are deffo quite high if you're going to get servicing and things done at the authorized dealers/workshops. Independent Mercedes garages are cheaper though still a bit more expensive than say VW, Toyota authorized dealers etc.

Check to see that the car has had the manufacturers recommended service (even if it's at an independent Mercedes garage) at the correct intervals because it means you're unlikely to have to fork out for repairs apart from wear and tear items (brakes, tyres etc.)

At 3 years old you shouldn't have many problems maybe just needing new front brake pads (especially if it's been driven in the city a lot) and tyres.
Original post by nucdev
Maintenance costs for Mercs are deffo quite high if you're going to get servicing and things done at the authorized dealers/workshops. Independent Mercedes garages are cheaper though still a bit more expensive than say VW, Toyota authorized dealers etc.

Check to see that the car has had the manufacturers recommended service (even if it's at an independent Mercedes garage) at the correct intervals because it means you're unlikely to have to fork out for repairs apart from wear and tear items (brakes, tyres etc.)

At 3 years old you shouldn't have many problems maybe just needing new front brake pads (especially if it's been driven in the city a lot) and tyres.

Thats the thing that even having to change tyres etc on BMW's and Mercs cost like £200 a tyre lol. On that basis have a cheaper running hatchback makes more sense

I know its my first car so i should be sensible but sometimes i feel i want a nice looking car ( not for show off purposes but to make my dil khush) :ahee:
Reply 6
What's your preference towards? A smaller car? More power?

I actually drove a 120d for a while, it was alright but sold it a few months later for a C250, mainly as I wanted a more comfortable car for myself and my passengers. The German saloons are quite torque-y and can easily cruise at high speeds on the motorway on low RPM. They're a bit harder to park but might as well get used to it. Insurance is only around £900 for me, age 24, 5 year exp, 1year no claims. Mine's been holding its value very well, definitely more so than a Lexus - they're just so much less in demand. You should be able to pick up a low mileage C220 for less than 13k. (Get the 2012+ facelift one). If you want a looker, get the AMG Sport Plus spec. I get lots of compliments.

Maintenance side of things, for Mercedes you must service the car at the dealers to keep its value. Service plans are around £24/mo. I had my C class since 17,000 miles, coming up to 30,000. Had to change brake pads and new set of tires. The dealership charges a lot to change 'wearables' such as brake pads and discs, so get it done elsewhere.

Changing my tires next week. £90 each for front 2, £130 each for back 2. Goodyear Eagle f1 asymmetric 3. So not too expensive and some decent, grippy tires.

Some pictures of my C250
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlf1/v/t1.0-9/10703707_10153121253048629_4350432435529962507_n.jpg?oh=75d4bc077dd2438ab35c2c836afabd53&oe=57B454FD
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11050276_10153121250378629_8124074985954264475_n.jpg?oh=2ab82c7ac834a95109c61445b74bcbb6&oe=57B086D3
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11045329_10153121250513629_377142832976958727_n.jpg?oh=3c2ffe02fa5c7305e1fbb2fde624af29&oe=57A0BEE0
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by NX172

I actually drove a 120d for a while, it was alright but sold it a few months later for a C250, mainly as I wanted a more comfortable car for myself and my passengers. The German saloons are quite torque-y and can easily cruise at high speeds on the motorway on low RPM. They're a bit harder to park but might as well get used to it. Insurance is only around £900 for me, age 24, 5 year exp, 1year no claims. Mine's been holding its value very well, definitely more so than a Lexus - they're just so much less in demand. You should be able to pick up a low mileage C220 for less than 13k. (Get the 2012+ facelift one). If you want a looker, get the AMG Sport Plus spec. I get lots of compliments.

Maintenance side of things, for Mercedes you must service the car at the dealers to keep its value. Service plans are around £24/mo. I had my C class since 17,000 miles, coming up to 30,000. Had to change brake pads and new set of tires. The dealership charges a lot to change 'wearables' such as brake pads and discs, so get it done elsewhere.

Changing my tires next week. £90 each for front 2, £130 each for back 2. Goodyear Eagle f1 asymmetric 3. So not too expensive and some decent, grippy tires.

What they charged me was nothing short of criminal - £500+ for a new set of pads all round and front discs :facepalm:
Won't ever get those done at a dealership again :colonhash:
Original post by NX172

Some pictures of my C250
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlf1/v/t1.0-9/10703707_10153121253048629_4350432435529962507_n.jpg?oh=75d4bc077dd2438ab35c2c836afabd53&oe=57B454FD
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11050276_10153121250378629_8124074985954264475_n.jpg?oh=2ab82c7ac834a95109c61445b74bcbb6&oe=57B086D3
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11045329_10153121250513629_377142832976958727_n.jpg?oh=3c2ffe02fa5c7305e1fbb2fde624af29&oe=57A0BEE0

wow thats a sick car man, looks sleek

So if you dont mind me asking how many years have you had the car for and and that time how many times did the brake pads and tyres need changing?

Ive noticed your's is an AMG so a C220 would be cheaper to maintain on an average or am i wrong?
Reply 9
Original post by nucdev
What they charged me was nothing short of criminal - £500+ for a new set of pads all round and front discs :facepalm:
Won't ever get those done at a dealership again :colonhash:

Yeah. I saw these prices on their website beforehand and stayed far far away.
Reply 10
Thats the thing that even having to change tyres etc on BMW's and Mercs cost like £200 a tyre lol. On that basis have a cheaper running hatchback makes more sense

I know its my first car so i should be sensible but sometimes i feel i want a nice looking car ( not for show off purposes but to make my dil khush) :ahee:

£200? you what mate?
Someone's been pulling your leg :rofl:

Naah you get some decent ones fitted for like £70-£90.

LMFAO it's completely understandable. My dil is hard to please though :lol:
Original post by nucdev
£200? you what mate?
Someone's been pulling your leg :rofl:

Naah you get some decent ones fitted for like £70-£90.

LMFAO it's completely understandable. My dil is hard to please though :lol:

£70-90 is not too bad tbh depending on how much they need to be changed.

HAHA is it so? which car do you drive?
Reply 12
wow thats a sick car man, looks sleek

So if you dont mind me asking how many years have you had the car for and and that time how many times did the brake pads and tyres need changing?

Ive noticed your's is an AMG so a C220 would be cheaper to maintain on an average or am i wrong?

I've had the car for over a year now. Only had to change them once.

This is the second time I'm changing my tyres. Although admittedly, I cheaped out on the initial set which have worn already. Getting some proper ones this time. You can pick up Pirellis for as little as £150 each, I think, though. Mine isn't AMG, the previous owner just badged it as such. I've had mine remapped for about £350, which is an extra ~40BHP and 55NM of torque which has boosted my fuel economy.
Original post by NX172
I've had the car for over a year now. Only had to change them once.

This is the second time I'm changing my tyres. Although admittedly, I cheaped out on the initial set which have worn already. Getting some proper ones this time. You can pick up Pirellis for as little as £150 each, I think, though. Mine isn't AMG, the previous owner just badged it as such. I've had mine remapped for about £350, which is an extra ~40BHP and 55NM of torque which has boosted my fuel economy.

hmm 600 quid just for tyres and obv extras too.

Maybe i should stick to a newish Toyota, Golf or Astra and keep it for a few years and then maybe get a Merc later?
Reply 14
hmm 600 quid just for tyres and obv extras too.

Maybe i should stick to a newish Toyota, Golf or Astra and keep it for a few years and then maybe get a Merc later?

Well if you're happy to settle with a cheaper car, then that's always the cheapest option. Noone needs a fancy car. Insurance prices will come down, too when you do eventually decide to buy a merc/audi/bmw, etc. Toyotas don't tend to hold their value very well, though, bear that in mind too, as this also counts as a cost.
Original post by NX172
Well if you're happy to settle with a cheaper car, then that's always the cheapest option. Noone needs a fancy car. Insurance prices will come down, too when you do eventually decide to buy a merc/audi/bmw, etc. Toyotas don't tend to hold their value very well, though, bear that in mind too, as this also counts as a cost.

How about a 2/3 year old Golf with under 20K mileage? What are the maintenance costs like on that if you have any idea on that?
Reply 16
How about a 2/3 year old Golf with under 20K mileage? What are the maintenance costs like on that if you have any idea on that?

Nope sorry, never driven a VW

If you want a new car but perhaps don't want to shell out a large sum of money in one go, have you thought about leasing? That's what I do.

Oh, but beware - I lease a C220 Auto Exec and it's been a nightmare of mechanical problems since the get go!
(edited 7 years ago)

any other options to to buy something that is say 10 years old as you can buy real quality like a range rover vogue, a s-class mercedes or even a maserati quattroporte for similar figures to option 2
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XMaramena
If you want a new car but perhaps don't want to shell out a large sum of money in one go, have you thought about leasing? That's what I do.

Oh, but beware - I lease a C220 Auto Exec and it's been a nightmare of mechanical problems since the get go!

leasing is something im not comfortable with as you never really own the car.

The most i could do to get a brand new car is pay a deposit and have a PCP and after 3 years use the surplus to get a new car if needed.

If i may ask, was it a brand new C220? and what problems did you have?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending