The Student Room Group

Failed PIP assessment; really scared :(

I had my medical assessment for PIP on march 15th.

Despite the fact that I was on DLA middle care component for 4 years, and ESA support group as soon as it was introduced (so approx 8-9 years), I got 0 points for my PIP assessment.

My report was riddled with mistakes and contradications. No restriction of my lower limbs; yet the report says I had a altered gait and slow walking pace. I have severe arthritis, and wear an ankle splint to stabilise my joint.

My family supervise my medication usage, to prevent me overdosing. This is noted and accepted...but I got no points anyway.

I did the congitive test. I failed to properly spell the word I was given by the assessor correctly when asked to spell backwards, and only recalled 2 words out of 4. According to assessor, nothing wrong with my memory.

I regularly consume food that is half-raw; or burn food so badly it is no longer edible. I actively self-harm utilising available kitchen utensils, and at worst times, my family have to prepare meals for me, which I then heat up. Guess what? I don't need any help in the kitchen!

I can attend medical appointments myself. Curious, given my mother was with me for the whole duration of the assessment and did not leave my side.

Made good eye contact and rapport with assessor. Curious, given I faced the wall and spoke to it, without turning around.

I am at college, have a student loan (I am in Scotland) and was going to go to university in September. But know I am scared, absolutely scared. My money has been taken away, and I have no faith in appealing it, I do not know if I have the mental strength to take this all the way through to tribunal level. :frown:

My mother has offered to support me financially. However she is abusive, and an alchololic and my worry is that in a moment of anger she will just cut the financial support.

And yet, despite all this, I got a letter from the housing benefit people to tell me that due to my PIP award ending....that my HB entitlement was being REDUCED (when I thought it was terminated...? I thought full time students did not get HB at all if they did not recieve DLA/PIP?)

Can anyone please advise? Feeling really desperate :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hiu

Despite the fact that I was on DLA middle care component for 4 years, and ESA support group as soon as it was introduced (so approx 8-9 years), I got 0 points for my PIP assessment.

My report was riddled with mistakes and contradications. No restriction of my lower limbs; yet the report says I had a altered gait and slow walking pace. I have severe arthritis, and wear an ankle splint to stabilise my joint.

My family supervise my medication usage, to prevent me overdosing. This is noted and accepted...but I got no points anyway.

I did the congitive test. I failed to properly spell the word I was given by the assessor correctly when asked to spell backwards, and only recalled 2 words out of 4. According to assessor, nothing wrong with my memory.

I regularly consume food that is half-raw; or burn food so badly it is no longer edible. I actively self-harm utilising available kitchen utensils, and at worst times, my family have to prepare meals for me, which I then heat up. Guess what? I don't need any help in the kitchen!

I can attend medical appointments myself. Curious, given my mother was with me for the whole duration of the assessment and did not leave my side.

Made good eye contact and rapport with assessor. Curious, given I faced the wall and spoke to it, without turning around.

I am at college, have a student loan (I am in Scotland) and was going to go to university in September. But know I am scared, absolutely scared. My money has been taken away, and I have no faith in appealing it, I do not know if I have the mental strength to take this all the way through to tribunal level. :frown:

My mother has offered to support me financially. However she is abusive, and an alchololic and my worry is that in a moment of anger she will just cut the financial support.

And yet, despite all this, I got a letter from the housing benefit people to tell me that due to my PIP award ending....that my HB entitlement was being REDUCED (when I thought it was terminated...? I thought full time students did not get HB at all if they did not recieve DLA/PIP?)

Can anyone please advise? Feeling really desperate :frown:

I don't know about this. It probably looked bad that you went with your mum. You should have gone alone.

If your mum is offering to support you, i would take her up on that offer is probably my best advice right now?
Reply 2
Original post by john2054
I don't know about this. It probably looked bad that you went with your mum. You should have gone alone.

If your mum is offering to support you, i would take her up on that offer is probably my best advice right now?

1) I clearly stated on my claim form my family support me.
2) My mother has attended every single medical assessment with me, and have always won it.
3) It is actually the opposite, the fact you can come along undermines the notion that you do not require much support etc
4) As I said, she is an alcoholic who is physically and emotionally abusive, and I fear that this will give her even more inappropiate power over me.
Going alone suggests you probably aren't that disabled.

OP - you need to get help from CAB or similar. You need to gather medical evidence. Remember, it's based on the help you need. Not the help you get or the diagnoses you have.
Reply 4
Original post by Tiger Rag
Going alone suggests you probably aren't that disabled.

OP - you need to get help from CAB or similar. You need to gather medical evidence. Remember, it's based on the help you need. Not the help you get or the diagnoses you have.

I went to CAB today. He wrote out a letter for me, picking out the contradictions and expanding the averments made, but that was it. Indeed, I have actually taken the original letter, and then expanded upon it even further, going to rather exhaustive detail.

My concern is about how to approach getting the medical evidence, I got the letter last thursday (21st of April), and the decision on the letter was dated 15th April so cannot help but feel I am on a massive time crunch here.

My GP surgery is always massively backlogged, so concerned that the time I get appointment with a GP (on that point, do I actually need to speak to a GP, or could I just see the practice manager?) the time limit may expire.

I have emailed my MP as well, just in case.

But I am reading a LOT of people saying that mandatory reconsideration leads to nothing but a rubberstamping of the original decision. As I said, I cannot wait indefinitely for the DWP to FINALLY getting round to a decision ya know, 8 months-a year later...THEN I can appeal....I mean I can't put my life on hold :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by hiu
I went to CAB today. He wrote out a letter for me, picking out the contradictions and expanding the averments made, but that was it. Indeed, I have actually taken the original letter, and then expanded upon it even further, going to rather exhaustive detail.

My concern is about how to approach getting the medical evidence, I got the letter last thursday (21st of April), and the decision on the letter was dated 15th April so cannot help but feel I am on a massive time crunch here.

My GP surgery is always massively backlogged, so concerned that the time I get appointment with a GP (on that point, do I actually need to speak to a GP, or could I just see the practice manager?) the time limit may expire.

I have emailed my MP as well, just in case.

But I am reading a LOT of people saying that mandatory reconsideration leads to nothing but a rubberstamping of the original decision. As I said, I cannot wait indefinitely for the DWP to FINALLY getting round to a decision ya know, 8 months-a year later...THEN I can appeal....I mean I can't put my life on hold :frown:

These days, as an adult, I always stand on my own two feet, I remember some years ago relying on others and the same thing happening to me. Op i also have a severe mental health disability, so please trust me i have at least some insight in to this matter, okay?

Thanks John.
Reply 6
These days, as an adult, I always stand on my own two feet, I remember some years ago relying on others and the same thing happening to me. Op i also have a severe mental health disability, so please trust me i have at least some insight in to this matter, okay?

Thanks John.

Im confused as to the purpose of your post.
Reply 7
bearing in mind that you are going to university, and that the government brought in pip to cut down on payments, you have to try and understand that they are not trying to do this personally. I would recommend moving out from your mum's and attempting to live on your own. She has said that she will support you, so take this support. And if you are at uni, as i think you said you were, then you can get a job to repay her after you graduate okay? thanks.
Reply 8
bearing in mind that you are going to university, and that the government brought in pip to cut down on payments, you have to try and understand that they are not trying to do this personally. I would recommend moving out from your mum's and attempting to live on your own. She has said that she will support you, so take this support. And if you are at uni, as i think you said you were, then you can get a job to repay her after you graduate okay? thanks.

I am living alone. That is why I was getting housing benefit. Because I do not live with her, nor have I lived with her for 4 years.

As I have stated, my mother is an alcoholic. Has made death threats (to myself, others and herself) and has and I quote:

"I made the strings, and I can easily cut them."
Reply 9
If you are living on your own and going to uni on your own, you should really try and stand on your own two feet. It is difficult, i know it is difficult for us, but that's why we have to stick together okay? xj
Reply 10
Original post by hiu

The majority of appeals are actually upheld in favour of the claimant. Just look at this as the first phase of your application. The likelihood is that if you appeal, you will eventually get PIP. The system is designed to make people give up at this point. Just keep playing them at their own game with as much support as you can get. Whilst you have no alternative but to wait, your patience should pay off.
Reply 11
Original post by Klix88
The majority of appeals are actually upheld in favour of the claimant. Just look at this as the first phase of your application. The likelihood is that if you appeal, you will eventually get PIP. The system is designed to make people give up at this point. Just keep playing them at their own game with as much support as you can get. Whilst you have no alternative but to wait, your patience should pay off.

Do you have any links to statistics....? (please :smile: )
Reply 12
It's always worth appealing especially as it seems you have a good case to do so. Hang in there. Receiving pip has no standing in your ability to be independent.

The idea of PIP is to increase the support so that you can be more self sufficient. It pays for treatments, medication, travel costs incurred because disabled and helps people get specially modified vehicles. It's really no different to a student being allowed DSA. So ignore any inference to the contrary.

Also being given PIP can help people to speed up changes to their home. For example, a bathroom conversion which may have been declined is accepted post PIP evidence. Although you can be classed as disabled if you fit the criteria without PIP or blue badge etc, having a form which says you are disabled (especially for invisible disabilities) makes a huge difference.

So really nobody should be suggesting it's a weakness to receive PIP. It's not means tested so people can work and claim it.
Original post by hiu

So what? The fact you passed one test doesn't mean you will pass a different test.

Don't get hung up on this. It is a points scoring process and these decision letters are written by computer. Saying you have no restriction doesn't mean you have no restriction. It means you don't have any restriction that would score you any points.

Read the points table. Decide what points you qualify for and try and demonstrate why you get those points. Everything else is irrelevant. Nothing you have said suggests you get any mobility points.

You should have got a point for this. However you need at least 8 points for a win.

Remember just because you say something doesn't mean the person conducting the examination has to believe you. Try and get supporting evidence justifying the points score you are after. Supporting letters saying "X is really, really disabled, give him money" aren't a lot of use.

You can't sidestep the points score. "well yes, I can do that but I can't do lots of other things", won't get you anywhere. Some points are much easier to get than others and exaggeration will put the back up of a DWP officer/tribunal judge. The CAB are very poor at dissuading claimants from seeking implausible points.
(edited 7 years ago)
To claim PIP, you only need help 50% of the time. The help you need has to be reasonable. You have to remember that the criteria for DLA and PIP is different. It's possible to qualify for one and not the other.

When you do write your appeal, you have to give examples of what happened when you tried to do an activity. For example, as someone who is both colourblind and partially sighted, I have a habit of checking outside window, deciding that it looks ok, don't go outside without a waterproof jacket on and it's actually raining. (there's points about getting dressed and appropriate clothing)

Anything you can do, must be without pain and you must be able to repeat it.
Reply 15
Original post by nulli tertius
So what? The fact you passed one test doesn't mean you will pass a different test.

Don't get hung up on this. It is a points scoring process and these decision letters are written by computer. Saying you have no restriction doesn't mean you have no restriction. It means you don't have any restriction that would score you any points.

Read the points table. Decide what points you qualify for and try and demonstrate why you get those points. Everything else is irrelevant. Nothing you have said suggests you get any mobility points.

You should have got a point for this. However you need at least 8 points for a win.

Remember just because you say something doesn't mean the person conducting the examination has to believe you. Try and get supporting evidence justifying the points score you are after. Supporting letters saying "X is really, really disabled, give him money" aren't a lot of use.

You can't sidestep the points score. "well yes, I can do that but I can't do lots of other things", won't get you anywhere. Some points are much easier to get than others and exaggeration will put the back up of a DWP officer/tribunal judge. The CAB are very poor at dissuading claimants from seeking implausible points.

I resent the implication I am being fraudulent, exaggerating or that my claim is implausible.

With severe osteoarthirtis of the left talus, avasciular necrosis with bone on bone pain, I absolutely do have substantial pain and problems walking and have been on powerful medication to help remedy this. I am in DAILY pain (its a chronic condition) so that satisfies the more than 50% of the time, it causes substantial pain and means I do so slowly (satisfying the safely and reliably tests).

The assessment was rushed, riddled with contadications and outright lies. There are numerous stories and wide scale coverage of the dirty tricks utilised to decieve claimants.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hiu
I resent the implication I am being fraudulent, exaggerating or that my claim is implausible.

With severe osteoarthirtis of the left talus, avasciular necrosis with bone on bone pain, I absolutely do have substantial pain and problems walking and have been on powerful medication to help remedy this.

But how far can you walk? That's all they care about.
Reply 17
But how far can you walk? That's all they care about.

My comment was directed towards nullius.

According to them I can manage 50 metres but no more than 200....but got no points. :\

I struggle to cook for myself, due to self-harming and lack of awareness of hazards (I get distracted, losing concenctration forgetting when I started to cook food, meaning that I end up either severely burning the food, to the point of it being inedible, or, I end up eating half-cooked food, problematic for say meat, due to uncooked status).
Original post by hiu
My comment was directed towards nullius.

According to them I can manage 50 metres but no more than 200....but got no points. :\

I struggle to cook for myself, due to self-harming and lack of awareness of hazards (I get distracted, losing concenctration forgetting when I started to cook food, meaning that I end up either severely burning the food, to the point of it being inedible, or, I end up eating half-cooked food, problematic for say meat, due to uncooked status).

And do you have any evidence backing that up?
Reply 19
And do you have any evidence backing that up?

Yes, I do actually.

Latest