The Student Room Group

Ramadan and GCSE support thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leukocyte
That is your choice. It's sad people don't fast in such a blessed month where you have the opportunity to get closer to Allah and gain good deeds. It's funny how a headache can have such a big difference on how you perform. Exams aren't the only thing out there which will effect your life, wait for more to come.

Not only headaches but lack of food meaning less nutrients and decreased concentration so yes it will effect my exams. And wait for more what? Exams? I'm in my last year, so yes these exams will deeply affect my life
Original post by HAnwar
Losing concentration and having headaches is hardly something that will have a really bad effect on you.

Using common sense doesn't mean you don't fast. It means you eat properly at suhoor and drink lots of water so you don't feel dehydrated.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I do think a lot of people are making a big deal out of this. Students have fasted before and will do in the future whilst sitting exams. It's completely fine provided you eat sensibly in the morning.
Whether you want to sacrifice your fasting for this dunya is up to you.

Sounds tough, but Allah will guide you through it Insha Allah.
May Allah make your exams easy for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you really just say loosing concentration will not have much of an effect on my revision and exams? Please think about what you've written.
Even if I eat properly at suhoor I will be dehydrated by the end of the day and tired throughout my entire revision for the day.
I honestly think that you are making a big deal out of this. I am not just going to miss my fasts because I just feel like it, I have an actual reason and if it will affect my performance, which it will, I am sure God will understand never mind you.
Remember that life is a test.
Just because you have one exam doesn't mean you are exempt from missing something in the other.
If you feel it will be difficult then you can miss the fasts and make them up after Ramadan. You're under no obligation if there is likely to be a health issue. Your health comes first...
I'm supposed to fast aswell and I have real GCSE's but I don't think I'll fast because just for the reason that I need good GCSE grades
Hi lovely,

Is there a pattern with your migraines? Do they come about when you're stressed or feeling overwhelmed? Feeling the pressure to do something you don't want to do?

These are your mocks, so a little less pressure, but I understand you'll want to do well :smile:

Have you spoken to your parents about it? What do you th

Fasting shouldn't begin a migraine but you'll need to stay hydrated as your brain needs water.
Original post by spv
Sorry, but Allah is not going to give you your grades unless you study for it.
Don't fast, study, and succeed.

Nicely put.

OP- I wouldn't recommend fasting... Like I just think it isn't the right thing to do during study/exam period.
Although, I did have a few friends that fasted during exam time and they were alright with it and ended up with good grades so it's all up to you.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Migraines are not minor.... My mum suffers from terrible migraines and the migraines literally have her in bed crying with all the lights off(light makes it worse) and constantly throwing up. She's had to call the ambulance 3x because they're the bad. The last thing OP wants is getting a migraine during an exam

If it's that bad then no she does not need to fast. OP hasn't given enough details. Hope you're mum is okay.

Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Not only headaches but lack of food meaning less nutrients and decreased concentration so yes it will effect my exams. And wait for more what? Exams? I'm in my last year, so yes these exams will deeply affect my life

Lol having nutritious food at suhoor isn't going to evaporate in seconds. It'll take time to digest and work on your body, you will still have energy to focus and concentrate. I'm sorry but your attitude is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey its fine!i felt the same last year i kept a fast on a mock but i got extremely ill,so im not risking it.As long as i keep them afterwards its ok,if u get ill dont risk it cos dont forget u only have one shot at this.pm me if u need me and good luck!!and i get migraines and everything too!!im anaemic so its too bad im only missin about 11 less if im lucky you know so yeh x
Reply 49
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Did you really just say loosing concentration will not have much of an effect on my revision and exams? Please think about what you've written.
Even if I eat properly at suhoor I will be dehydrated by the end of the day and tired throughout my entire revision for the day.
I honestly think that you are making a big deal out of this. I am not just going to miss my fasts because I just feel like it, I have an actual reason and if it will affect my performance, which it will, I am sure God will understand never mind you.

Nope. I said it's not going to have a really bad effect on you- you're not going to faint from a headache.

Realistically are you going to revise from suhoor until iftaar? No.
You will be taking breaks and rest during the day.

If God thought these little exams at school were more important than fasting, then he would've made exams a valid reason to miss fasting, but he didn't. Therefore it is fardh upon you to fast.

Try and find any respectable scholar who says missing fasts is permissible. You won't find one.
Reply 50
Original post by HelpMylifePlzz
so savage

Just keepin' it real! :wink:
The exams are more important as you get only one try in them while your festival comes every year. If it's gonna affect your performance, disadvantage you and lower your grades it's not worth it. I would rather have a A*/A grade than a B/C just because of some festival.
Reply 52
Original post by Tinka99
The exams are more important as you get only one try in them while your festival comes every year. If it's gonna affect your performance, disadvantage you and lower your grades it's not worth it. I would rather have a A*/A grade than a B/C just because of some festival.

Hi,
Ramadan is a holy month which is special to us Muslims, where fasting is compulsory (unless you have a valid reason not to, and exams do not come under this).

Only Muslims can truly understand the blessings and the rewards God brings in this month.
To us it's not just another month but a chance to become closer to God.

Fasting will not have a significant impact on her grades as long as she eats healthy in the morning, and drinks enough water.
Wait...so not eating for like an hour or so makes u have migraines? We don't eat every single second? I'm pretty sure it's possible I mean like I'm sure the room will be cooled, you'll be focusing on your exam not food, and you're sitting down...so I don't see how fasting would affect results? I've done many exams without breakfast and sat there for like 2 hrs and I don't get bad grades.

Of course unless you are aneamic or have a health condition or as u stated physically weak, then perhaps yeah I guess...but it has to be really bad, not like a ping in the head and then "that's it, I can't fast anymore".

If I get dehydrated or whatever I'll just ask to go to the bathroom to wash my face or get a bottle of water to through water at my face lol...worked last year.

I've watched Algeria against England (or was it Germany?) in the world cup and they were fasting whilst running around for 90 mins in a hot climate...they did well! 2-1 I think? Although England (not sure if it was germany) won as they are a stronger team but at least they scored a goal.

The footballers had wet towels instead of bottles of water.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
Hi,
Ramadan is a holy month which is special to us Muslims, where fasting is compulsory (unless you have a valid reason not to, and exams do not come under this).

Only Muslims can truly understand the blessings and the rewards God brings in this month.
To us it's not just another month but a chance to become closer to God.

Fasting will not have a significant impact on her grades as long as she eats healthy in the morning, and drinks enough water.

I completely understand the importance of this festival to you but education and grades are more important in my opinion. With exams such as GCSE's you only get one shot at it and that's it so giving you best is very important. Fasting at the risk of potentially not performing as well in GCSE's (spent 2 years studying for), thus not being able to get into college/sixth form/apprenticeship/traineeship you want to.

I believe in God and myself I am a religious person although not a Muslim but would not risk my entire future just for a fast. You have got to know your priorities in life and think practically not emotionally. In the real world, you need money to survive and getting good grades is the key to that.

I think eating right during the exam season is the key to success and by starving yourself, eating once a day and surviving on water will just make it harder to concentrate on revision. I literally cannot concentrate on revision on a hungry stomach.
Reply 55
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by HAnwar
You're not going to fail by fasting please :rolleyes:

Unless OP has a genuine medical condition she isn't excused from fasting.

Plenty of students fast every year and they do just fine.

But everyone is different and it can seriously affect someones health especially if they have no option but to do exams. Iv'e fasted before in exams but my health is getting worse ..so yh
If you don't mind me asking how old are you?!
16? 15?
Reply 58
(edited 7 years ago)
OP just make dua. Done.

Quick Reply

Latest