The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam or Bristol UWE?

Hey guys, basically I have the tough decision to make between studying Fine Art at Sheffield Hallam or Bristol UWE in September for 3 years. I am very indecisive so this is extremely hard for me. From my research, I can see the course are fairly similar so it is more deciding between the cities themselves, and also the facilities.
On one side, I would love to go to Bristol as I know it well, therefore it is a safe option and I have had my heart set on Briz for years. I live about an hour away so am close to family, home, friends, boyfriend etc. I visit Bristol quite a lot as some of my friends go to uni there, and it is a good place to go out- I LOVE the nightlife there, just my sort of scene. Also the accommodation looks really modern and great there.
However on the other side, I would like to try somewhere completely new, bit further away from everything I know- so exciting and an adventure. I've heard that Sheffield is such a friendly place, as well as a very cheap city to live in! It would be good to get out of my comfort zone and go up North. This is the riskier option, also the accommodation looks okay but some not as modern as Bristol's. The art building is in the city centre and easily accessible, however in Bristol it is a bus journey away into the countryside, which seems a bit annoying.
These are some of my views and I was wondering if anyone could help me out in deciding. I have to decide by June 8th, however I need to choose way before then as I don't want to be left with rubbish accommodation! Would be a great help if anyone could post what they think on either institution.
Thanks for your help! Ellie x
Original post by elliemollie
Hey guys, basically I have the tough decision to make between studying Fine Art at Sheffield Hallam or Bristol UWE in September for 3 years. I am very indecisive so this is extremely hard for me. From my research, I can see the course are fairly similar so it is more deciding between the cities themselves, and also the facilities.
On one side, I would love to go to Bristol as I know it well, therefore it is a safe option and I have had my heart set on Briz for years. I live about an hour away so am close to family, home, friends, boyfriend etc. I visit Bristol quite a lot as some of my friends go to uni there, and it is a good place to go out- I LOVE the nightlife there, just my sort of scene. Also the accommodation looks really modern and great there.
However on the other side, I would like to try somewhere completely new, bit further away from everything I know- so exciting and an adventure. I've heard that Sheffield is such a friendly place, as well as a very cheap city to live in! It would be good to get out of my comfort zone and go up North. This is the riskier option, also the accommodation looks okay but some not as modern as Bristol's. The art building is in the city centre and easily accessible, however in Bristol it is a bus journey away into the countryside, which seems a bit annoying.
These are some of my views and I was wondering if anyone could help me out in deciding. I have to decide by June 8th, however I need to choose way before then as I don't want to be left with rubbish accommodation! Would be a great help if anyone could post what they think on either institution.
Thanks for your help! Ellie x

Hi Ellie,

Great to hear that you're considering coming to Sheffield Hallam University - fabulous choice! I am currently a student in my final year at SHU and have loved my time here.

You're right, Sheffield is such a friendly city. With two universities in the City there are so many students which makes it a great place to study and live - there's always something going on for everyone to enjoy. Sheffield has a varied nightlife scene - from indie nights at Leadmill, to more chart/r&b nights on Carver Street, and everything else in between. West Street and Division Street are great for bars too!

All of the accommodation is in walking distance to both campus' and the city centre, and fairly modern. I lived in Charlotte Court in my first year, it was a 6-bed flat with en-suite rooms and a communal kitchen/living area (which is similar to most other halls). I found that it doesn't really matter how modern the flat is, it's what you do with the space to make it your own :smile:

The transport links in Sheffield are great as well so it's not too difficult to visit friends and family over the weekends or if you have some time off. I've loved moving away from home because it's helped me gain the independence that I needed and I've become so much more confident because of it. Don't forget, while it may seem daunting, everyone is in the same position in first year and it's surprising how quickly you can settle in!

I hope this has helped you with making your decision, if you need any other information just let me know :biggrin:

Thanks,

Nichola
Official SHU Student Room Ambassador
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending