The Student Room Group

Tory MP's vote AGAINST allowing 3000 refugee children into the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DorianGrayism
Yeh. It is more sensible to bring in small kids that will be a burden on the state for longer.

...but will be less likely to become thugs.
Original post by Josb
...but will be less likely to become thugs.

or more likely.

The reality is that you have no clue.
I don't see why citizens of this nation need anymore help. No one is starving to death on the streets. They have access to free healthcare and protection. They are not being forced into sex slavery.

3000 children do not have access to such provisions and would be a relatively small burden on our welfare system.

Irrelevant. The reason taxes should be spent on infustructure and social welfare isnt because citizens are dying on the streets but because that where taxes should be spent. If there is surplus it should be spent on the benefit of the citizens, or taxes should be reduced.

Let those that want to help, help. But dont force others to do so.
Reply 43
or more likely.

The reality is that you have no clue.

Indeed, I therefore prefer not to admit any of them.
Reply 44
What's wrong with that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by JordanL_
I'm ashamed to be British sometimes. These are kids, they aren't ****ing jihadis. It was 3000. 3000 kids that will now have to continue living in absolute poverty, being picked up by child traffickers and having their whole future taking away.

We aren't full. You can't get a GP appointment or a place in your school of choice because YOUR GOVERNMENT IS CUTTING FUNDING TO THE NHS AND SCHOOLS. House prices are going up BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT ISN'T BUILDING ENOUGH HOUSES.

This is pure and simple greed. Mostly from people who think they're "suffering" because they can't afford a new smart phone or they had to wait a few hours in A&E. Most people in this country couldn't even begin to comprehend the suffering that these refugees go through daily, because they've lived immensely privileged lives.

I'm honestly disgusted. I hate this country.

Isn't the NHS budget going up? And education ring-fenced?
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Irrelevant. The reason taxes should be spent on infustructure and social welfare isnt because citizens are dying on the streets but because that where taxes should be spent. If there is surplus it should be spent on the benefit of the citizens, or taxes should be reduced.

Let those that want to help, help. But dont force others to do so.

In other words.....

I only want taxes spent on things I like and people should be forced to spend money on that.

I don't want to spend taxes on refugees so I shouldn't be forced to spend money on that.
(edited 7 years ago)
In other words.....

I only want taxes spent on things I like and people should be forced to spend money on that.

To an extent, yes. Taxes are a forced subscription for living in a nation, and I believe what taxes should be spent on should therefore be justifiable for the improvement of that nation.

Taxes should not be used as forced state-sponsored charity, but instead be practical ways of improving the conditions of the society.
Good, I don't want any of these 40 year old 'children' reaping havoc here
Exactly, it's everyones money, not just those that believe we should help or those that believe we shouldn't. The default position of spending however, would be not to pay for it.

Although it's difficult to say what the majority want in this regard, as the house of commons does not represent the voting population.
This may be so, and that is a great argument for donating time and money to helping them on an individual basis. It is not however, a strong argument for donating other peoples money to those outside of the society.

This whole taxpayers money shouldnt go on tghings we dont all agree on is bull. What if i suddenly dewcide that i dont wanna pay for ambulances? Or the police, or whatever. Do i have the right tp do thayt just because a tiny portion of it is my money.
Original post by JezWeCan!
Well do something about it. Volunteer to sponsor a refugee child in a camp.

Send them all your spare money. Go and work with refugees so you feel less "sad."

Do something constructive to help rather than emoting on a student website.

Even if we did help this 3000 so what? There are millions of people in desperate situations like this all over the world. We can't do anything about it as a country, won't do anything about it.

Any more than you will, individually.

What a petty, easy response. It is possible to support something without wanting to suddenly dedicate your entire life to it. This country has the infrastructure, capability and systems in place to deal with 3000 refugee children so it isn't hypocritical in the slightest to demand that the government does something about it, that's what taxes are for.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SophieBarlow87
This whole taxpayers money shouldnt go on tghings we dont all agree on is bull. What if i suddenly dewcide that i dont wanna pay for ambulances? Or the police, or whatever. Do i have the right tp do thayt just because a tiny portion of it is my money.

It's nothing to do with "things we dont all agree on", its to do with practical improvements of the society that is paying the tax.
And? Good on the Tories for not giving into emotion.
Original post by Davij038
What's the difference between 'virtue signalling' and Brexit signalling? If you want to leave the EU so much why don't you move to Russia instead of bitching on the Internet? Or at least campaign for brexit? I'd wager practically no one on here has bothered door knocking or campaigning for either side (I haven't, though I do chat to colleagues)

We're naturally social creatures who will share our opinion regardless of our ability to fulfil or influence decision making.

Charity is just a way for us escape out obligations by making them appear as rational choices. I blame religion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/charity/against_1.shtml

Don't even know where to begin with this one smh
Original post by Jammy Duel
So we should take on totally valueless people on the basis of subjective feelings?

+1

Spot on - They are not our problem.
To an extent, yes. Taxes are a forced subscription for living in a nation, and I believe what taxes should be spent on should therefore be justifiable for the improvement of that nation.

Taxes should not be used as forced state-sponsored charity, but instead be practical ways of improving the conditions of the society.

Social welfare, free healthcare and etc is state sponsored charity.
Our affairs will never be in order according to people like you. It is just an excuse to avoid taking refugees.

It was this dumb attitude that allowed millions of Jews to get murdered at the hands of the Germany.

The actual right thing is to take have a united front and send ground troops to stop the refugee flow. That was the right thing to do 5 years ago. It is the right thing to do now. Obviously, the public in this country lacks the foresight to support such a move.

Failing to act sufficiently in preventing a problem and not taking on the ensuing refugees is hardly equivalent. It was not the refusal to take in Jews that lead to their extermination (are these refugees being systematically exterminated?), it was the failure to take out the regime exterminating them.

Original post by Davij038
What's the difference between 'virtue signalling' and Brexit signalling? If you want to leave the EU so much why don't you move to Russia instead of bitching on the Internet? Or at least campaign for brexit? I'd wager practically no one on here has bothered door knocking or campaigning for either side (I haven't, though I do chat to colleagues)

We're naturally social creatures who will share our opinion regardless of our ability to fulfil or influence decision making.

Charity is just a way for us escape out obligations by making them appear as rational choices. I blame religion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/charity/against_1.shtml

You're so intent on remaining in the EU you bring it into irrelevant threads, have a cookie.

Oh yes...because your excuse of "our affairs are not in order" is totally objective.

It doesn't rely on trying to appeal to emotion and petty morality and serves the inherent self interest of humankind rather than a shell of philanthropy.

Original post by Youngmetro
Have a heart, they're children

Age is irrelevant. People act as if minors are more important, it's merely appealing to innate human nature to wish to fend for offspring rather than actually trying to give a proper argument; the twenty something is far preferable, retains the ability to produce children but also isn't as great a burden.

Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Would you take a look at this
Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people,

It was written by people worth far more than you will ever be.

A statement that relies on premises that not only I reject, but the majority of the British populace reject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Tories are heartless, so it doesn't surprise me.
Original post by godofwine
The Tories are heartless, so it doesn't surprise me.

Rather be heartless than brainless.
That's the argument I hear all the time. "I can't help them, but I want to force everyone else to."

It's a pretty decent argument, considering that it's the basis for paying tax.

No we dont.

Yes we do. Just like we have a moral obligation to pay tax for welfare, healthcare, education. Even more so, because these people are far worse off and far less able to help themselves.

I'm not saying we cant afford it, of course we can. I'm saying we shouldn't, surplus should be helping the citizens of the nation, not citizens of other nations.

Why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending