The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Revision

Dear All

My name is Amy and I am a third year student at BU (and ambassador!)

As exams are coming up scary fast I thought I would start this post for revision tips and advice! Please add anything that comes to mind :biggrin:

HOW TO REVISE:
The write it out method -
Rather than just write out reams and reams of text - write out a condensed version on a flash card - that will make it easier to test yourself later!
Write in different colors for different units or topics! It will help you remember!
Rather than trying to learn all the facts to fit a case study - learn the arguments instead.
EXAMPLE - Danebury Hill fort is a high status hill fort because of X found at the site. These were unusual, and came from Y. Danebury is different from Cadbury because of the presence of X, which came from Y. The fact that X came from Y suggests Danebury has trade links with Y, something you would expect from a high status site. THIS ALLOWS YOU TO LEARN A STORY RATHER THAN ALL THE FACTS, AND MAY MAKE RECALL EASIER!

The Read, Cover, Repeat method -
Read the sentence, cover the sentence with you hand and repeat it. Check to see if you got it right. Continue until you know all of it.
PROBLEM - this can take time. Good method for people with a good memory.

The draw it out/ make posters method -
get a large piece of paper. Draw out the topic you are trying to learn, the more pictures and silly things to help the better! The key is to create images which trigger the rest of the case study!

The I am terrified and don't know what to do method -
drink a cup of tea/coffee/ hot drink of choice. Breath. And then get down to it!
Don't let something as silly as a piece of paper make you afraid!

ADD YOUR OWN BELOW!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by amypotts
Dear All

My name is Amy and I am a third year student at BU (and ambassador!)

As exams are coming up scary fast I thought I would start this post for revision tips and advice! Please add anything that comes to mind :biggrin:

HOW TO REVISE:
The write it out method -
Rather than just write out reams and reams of text - write out a condensed version on a flash card - that will make it easier to test yourself later!
Write in different colors for different units or topics! It will help you remember!
Rather than trying to learn all the facts to fit a case study - learn the arguments instead.
EXAMPLE - Danebury Hill fort is a high status hill fort because of X found at the site. These were unusual, and came from Y. Danebury is different from Cadbury because of the presence of X, which came from Y. The fact that X came from Y suggests Danebury has trade links with Y, something you would expect from a high status site. THIS ALLOWS YOU TO LEARN A STORY RATHER THAN ALL THE FACTS, AND MAY MAKE RECALL EASIER!

The Read, Cover, Repeat method -
Read the sentence, cover the sentence with you hand and repeat it. Check to see if you got it right. Continue until you know all of it.
PROBLEM - this can take time. Good method for people with a good memory.

The draw it out/ make posters method -
get a large piece of paper. Draw out the topic you are trying to learn, the more pictures and silly things to help the better! The key is to create images which trigger the rest of the case study!

The I am terrified and don't know what to do method -
drink a cup of tea/coffee/ hot drink of choice. Breath. And then get down to it!
Don't let something as silly as a piece of paper make you afraid!

ADD YOUR OWN BELOW!

Great advice, thanks :smile:
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending