The Student Room Group

Failed first year. Can I apply to a different Uni to do first year again?

Hello,

I think that I am going to fail my first year at University. I was just wondering if anyone can help me and tell me if I can apply to start all over again at a different University or maybe even the same one.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Iggy Pop
Hello,

I think that I am going to fail my first year at University. I was just wondering if anyone can help me and tell me if I can apply to start all over again at a different University or maybe even the same one.

Thanks!

No reason why you couldn't considering you have the a-level grades. You would then have 3 years of student finance left after this year so you could do a three course
The course funding rule isn't 4 years, its length of course + 1 year, minus any years already studied. So if the OP has only had one year at university they will get funding for the full length of a course regardless of how many years that is.
Hello,

Thanks!

You need to email admissions at external universities to see if they would take you. It's likely some would and some wouldn't and no-one on here can say which ones. Your current uni may offer you the chance to resit in August depending on how many assignments/exams you've failed at the first go. You need to speak to your academic tutor about whether this will be the case or if they will just let you start again in September.
Original post by jelly1000
The course funding rule isn't 4 years, its length of course + 1 year, minus any years already studied. So if the OP has only had one year at university they will get funding for the full length of a course regardless of how many years that is.

I enquired about this to SFE regarding restarting my own course at a different university and I was told there was no such formula.
You need to email admissions at external universities to see if they would take you. It's likely some would and some wouldn't and no-one on here can say which ones. Your current uni may offer you the chance to resit in August depending on how many assignments/exams you've failed at the first go. You need to speak to your academic tutor about whether this will be the case or if they will just let you start again in September.

Brilliant, thank you. I'll email my academic tutor today and see what they say.
Thanks!!
Reply 6
http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/sfe_new_full_time_students_guide_1617_d.pdf

Page 8
"The number of years for which you are eligible for funding is calculated as:
Length of current course + one additional year years of previous study"
Original post by jneill
http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/sfe_new_full_time_students_guide_1617_d.pdf

Page 8
"The number of years for which you are eligible for funding is calculated as:

Thanks, thought I hadn't invented it!
Reply 8
Thanks, thought I hadn't invented it!

PRSOM :smile:
Original post by jneill
PRSOM :smile:

So if I had started a 4 year course at uni and done 2 years already but wanted to transfer to a three year bachelors at a better uni would I be eligible for 2 years funding or 3 years funding because I got told I was only allowed 2
Reply 10

Your intended course is 3 years long. You get 1 year as a false start. You've had 2 years of previous study.

So, 3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years of funding allowed

It doesn't matter how long your previous course was. It's the duration of the new (current) course that's important.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill

Your intended course is 3 years long. You get 1 year as a false start. You've had 2 years of previous study.

So, 3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years of funding allowed

It doesn't matter how long your previous course was. It's the duration of the new (current) course that's important.

Thank you, fair enough
Hello,

Thanks!

I strongly doubt you'll fail.

I would do as much work as you can now. There is still plenty of time even if you are behind. you will be surprised how much you will have picked up by simple mental osmosis.

I would not devote time to looking elsewhere. Seriously, many people think they will fail and don't. Have you had a chat with any academic member of staff/tutor, etc?
Original post by Stychomythia
I strongly doubt you'll fail.

I would do as much work as you can now. There is still plenty of time even if you are behind. you will be surprised how much you will have picked up by simple mental osmosis.

I would not devote time to looking elsewhere. Seriously, many people think they will fail and don't. Have you had a chat with any academic member of staff/tutor, etc?

Well my course finishes in around 2 or 3 weeks and I have 3 assignments that needed to be done last week and still not finished them. That's why I have a strong feeling I'm going to fail.

I have emailed my student support officer and I have a meeting set up with her next week to discuss what options I have. Hopefully something good will come out of it. If not, then I'll start looking at different universities after this meeting.
Well, that is pretty heavy, I agree,

But I think your first option - if you fail - is to ask to redo this year at your current uni.

Can I ask what has brought you to this place?
Well, that is pretty heavy, I agree,

But I think your first option - if you fail - is to ask to redo this year at your current uni.

Can I ask what has brought you to this place?

I've been in contact with the student support officer and had a discussion about what I could do. Just been told that I'll either have to do my work over summer if there isn't too much to catch up on. If there is too much then I've been told that there's a chance that they'll let me resit the course again.

I came to the website in search of if there was an answer to my question, I couldn't find one so I just decided to ask myself.
I've been in contact with the student support officer and had a discussion about what I could do. Just been told that I'll either have to do my work over summer if there isn't too much to catch up on. If there is too much then I've been told that there's a chance that they'll let me resit the course again.

I came to the website in search of if there was an answer to my question, I couldn't find one so I just decided to ask myself.

That's a pretty good result then. You are in a better position and you've done this yourself; the horror which you've been building up in your mind did not come to pass.

But in fact, my question meant 'What sequence of events led to your coming close to flunking your first year'
That's a pretty good result then. You are in a better position and you've done this yourself; the horror which you've been building up in your mind did not come to pass.

But in fact, my question meant 'What sequence of events led to your coming close to flunking your first year'

Yeah, hopefully I can still continue to study.

I think what it was, was me going out way too much drinking and then missing classes from being hungover etc. Definitely all my fault and I realised this half way through the second term and I was already quite far behind on my work.
Yeah, hopefully I can still continue to study.

I think what it was, was me going out way too much drinking and then missing classes from being hungover etc. Definitely all my fault and I realised this half way through the second term and I was already quite far behind on my work.

I had a lot of crap to deal with when I was at uni - but the one thing that I did which really helped was that I made all the lectures I possibly could.

I mean, you're paying for these people to lecture you and frankly you're not getting a great deal for that, so you may as well get as much value for money as you possibly can.

But more important, the lectures will fill-in behind the reading and give you a helpful steer at exam time. I would also encourage you to ask intelligent questions; it will help when it comes to the final marks if your lecturers actually know who you are.

My guess is that you've learnt this lesson and my further guess is that your department now know that you've learnt this lesson too.

So I would revise now as hard as you can (even in these last few days) get plenty of sleep and then, if you feel you've done badly, go and ask to see them and suggest you're ready to repeat your first year. If possible so this before they contact you - it looks better.

Seriously - if you do go to all the lectures this time, knuckle down and get some success under your belt, there's no reason why you can't get a first. And these days a first is a really good idea. Knock 'em dead.
I had a lot of crap to deal with when I was at uni - but the one thing that I did which really helped was that I made all the lectures I possibly could.

I mean, you're paying for these people to lecture you and frankly you're not getting a great deal for that, so you may as well get as much value for money as you possibly can.

But more important, the lectures will fill-in behind the reading and give you a helpful steer at exam time. I would also encourage you to ask intelligent questions; it will help when it comes to the final marks if your lecturers actually know who you are.

My guess is that you've learnt this lesson and my further guess is that your department now know that you've learnt this lesson too.

So I would revise now as hard as you can (even in these last few days) get plenty of sleep and then, if you feel you've done badly, go and ask to see them and suggest you're ready to repeat your first year. If possible so this before they contact you - it looks better.

Seriously - if you do go to all the lectures this time, knuckle down and get some success under your belt, there's no reason why you can't get a first. And these days a first is a really good idea. Knock 'em dead.

Sorry, but if the op can't even get a 40% pass for his first year, which is after all the easiest year by far, what makes you think that he can get a first if he resits it?

Quick Reply

Latest