The Student Room Group

Does anyone get sick of hearing about Hillsborough?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
True

It's interesting to see that Boris is getting a lot of stick for this but comments from Cameron have been "forgotten" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-15464063

The mud mysteriously sticks in selected places. The Sun is castigated severely for its infamous article, but plenty of others carried the same story, including The Daily Mirror, the Star (headlined 'Dead Fans Robbed by Drunk Thugs') and the Liverpool Daily Post. And they all got it direct from South Yorkshire Police.

The real story, today, is the massive and deliberate cover-up.
Original post by PQ
tell that to this lady:

I would but I don't live near her. i would much rather they spent the money on preventing deaths of other young people than on an 'inquiry'
Original post by Little Popcorns
What a goon it's because the inquest was going on for such a long time.

That's simply untrue. This inquest was only started in 2014. The original inquest was in 1989/1990.

The reason all this is being raked up again is because on the 20th anniversary, Andy Burnham who was a senior minister in the Labour government decided to institute a new inquiry into the events (clearly for political reasons). That led to a chain of inquiries and a new inquest which we've just seen.

The original inquest verdict in 1989/1990 was sound.
Original post by PQ
You do know the the South Yorkshire Police force that was behind most of the coverup isn't in the "South" yes?

But the northerners involved have claimed that the central government, the Murdoch press etc was all involved in some conspiracy to paint the fans as being to blame. This is "obviously" because the evil south hates the north and wants to harm them etc etc
Original post by Good bloke

The real story, today, is the massive and deliberate cover-up.

What cover up?
Reply 45
It speaks to the mentality of some people that they're more morally outraged by the campaign seeking justice than they are about the actual injustice itself. This systematic cover-up has been going on for far longer than many of the people in this thread have even been alive.

Admittedly, I'm going to have an emotional investment in this, as I'm from Merseyside and also had family members at Hillsborough. It's all well and good for people to get on their soapbox and label this thing an 'accident' that has been overdramatised. However, when you have a duty of care to protect the general public and an "accident" occurs, you don't respond to that by covering it up. As a journalist, you don't fabricate ******** about fans supposedly pickpocketing and urinating on their dead relatives, or attacking paramedics as they try and save people. As a Government official, you don't use these stories to collude with the police so that it can all be covered up and the actual victims are then blamed as being responsible for it. It's one thing to blame people for a tragedy they're not responsible for, but it takes an exceptionally twisted mind to twist the knife by then also blaming them for exacerbating deaths and accusing them of desecrating the bodies of those who died (e.g. their own bloody relatives and friends).

For those of you who are annoyed of hearing about this, I can only hope nothing like it ever happens to you. God forbid any of your loved ones are ever part of a miscarriage of justice, but it's a damning indictment on how much effort you'd put into seeking justice on their behalf.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by karl pilkington
that is still an accident as in he didn't intentionally want those people to die so is still an accident.

OK, so when you "accidently" mow down someone in the road because your driving was erratic, but you didn't set out to kill someone with your car... is that an "accident".

The police didn't initially think that let those 2000 odd more supporters in would cause a crush and result in 96 deaths, but they let it happen. I watched the documentary, and the police chief in charge soon knew he had made a judgement mistake.

I don't even think you've taken the time to watch anything about Hillsborough, how can one me so ignorant.
Reply 47
Be fair, that was published in 2004, many years before the true story had emerged and when the police had officially briefed politicians and the press with self-serving lies, up[on which Boris based his comments.

To be fair it was pretty clear it was *******s in 2004.
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
That's a bald-faced appeal to pure emotion. The facts of Hillsborough were known 25 years ago. Any death of a family member is tragic, but after two decades people are usually able to move on with their lives. It seems many people are uninterested in that and instead are determined to lionise themselves as being on some brave "quest for truth" (despite all the facts being known long ago) and that they are fighting some evil southern conspiracy.

How does it help this woman to rake up her grief from decades ago?

Seriously - can I suggest you go away and read the initial inquest into her son's death on the HIP website and the papers and coverage and answers that were given to her and other survivors and family members about how, when and why their loved ones dies.

The inquest wasn't raking up grief - it was providing validation of grief.
What cover up?

You haven't actually read any of the coverage have you? The police edited their own officers' statements to make sure nothing reflected badly on the methods used, the senior officers in charge or the force generally. They intimidated officers and other witnesses, put victims' families under surveillance and made sure that the blame did not rest within the senior echelons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36081358
I mean it happened such a long time ago it obviously wasn't intentional yet we have to keep hearing about it.

Would like to see you go out and never return home. Prick.
The Hillsborough people do not seem to be able to take "yes" for an answer.
Reply 52
But the northerners involved have claimed that the central government, the Murdoch press etc was all involved in some conspiracy to paint the fans as being to blame. This is "obviously" because the evil south hates the north and wants to harm them etc etc

Urgh, isn't it about time your perma ban was reinstated?
I would but I don't live near her. i would much rather they spent the money on preventing deaths of other young people than on an 'inquiry'

That's good to know - can I suggest starting with helping with this campaign? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-36141808

Huge levels of negligence and lack of responsibility in senior managers, similar cover-ups and libelling of the relatives of the dead, hundreds of unnecessary deaths.
A lot of people were sick of seeing the Police avoiding accepting responsibility for their mistakes, which led to the death of 96 fans.
No but the real question is why has it taken so damn long for justice to be done?
Original post by Nickko99
Being 'sensitive'......lol, liberal

Is that a paramedic uniform?
Original post by Dodgypirate
Is that a paramedic uniform?

It would appear so. Ironic, eh?
It would appear so. Ironic, eh?

He brings great shame to the service. It'd be funny if his employers saw the comment and fired him :lol:
Original post by Dodgypirate
He brings great shame to the service. It'd be funny if his employers saw the comment and fired him :lol:

Unfortunately, you can imagine him on the pitch at Hillsborough insisting those who had escaped the crush went back behind the barrier and joined the back of the queue for treatment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending