The Student Room Group

How do you find the cartesian equation of a curve? (C4)

Example question:
A curve is define by the parametric equations x=(t^2/2) + 1 and y=(4/t) -1
When t= 2, gradient is dy/dx = -1/2
Find a cartesian equation of the curve.

We havent learnt how to do it in school. I got this question from a past paper, and was just wondering how you'd do it.
Thanks!
Original post by Phoebus Apollo
Example question:

We havent learnt how to do it in school. I got this question from a past paper, and was just wondering how you'd do it.
Thanks!

Solve the easier equation for t and substitute into the other.
Or remove t from the simultaneous equations by other means eg. dividing.
Reply 3
Original post by Phoebus Apollo
Example question:

Thanks!

It's kind of like solving simultaneous equations except trickier. Basically you want to see what you can do with xx and yy to eliminate tt, that'll get you xx in terms of yy or yy in terms of xx as required.

Here, you can kind of brute force it by doing y+1=4tt=4y+1y + 1 = \frac{4}{t} \Rightarrow t = \frac{4}{y+1}

So x=16(y+1)22+1x = \frac{\frac{16}{(y+1)^2}}{2} + 1 .

But generally, you'll need to think about eliminating t and when you have trig parametric equations, you'll need to think about trigonometrical identities, etc...
Reply 4
For this type. Find t in terms of x and then substitute this expression of t into the equation for y. This eliminates t from the y equation leaving an equation in terms of x and y only - the Cartesian equation.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken

Here, you can kind of brute force it by doing y+1=4tt=4y+1y + 1 = \frac{4}{t} \Rightarrow t = \frac{4}{y+1}

But generally, you'll need to think about eliminating t and when you have trig parametric equations, you'll need to think about trigonometrical identities, etc...

and you would complete with
x=16(y+1)22+1=32(y+1)2+1x = \frac{\frac{16}{(y+1)^2}}{2} + 1 = \frac{32}{(y+1)^2}+1 .<<<< The 32 should be 8 but leaving it for the sake of history

Because you would never get a mark at C4 with x=16(y+1)22+1x = \frac{\frac{16}{(y+1)^2}}{2} + 1 .

Zacken knows this but you might not
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ODES_PDES
Solve the easier equation for t and substitute into the other.

Original post by morgan8002
Or remove t from the simultaneous equations by other means eg. dividing.

Original post by Zacken
It's kind of like solving simultaneous equations except trickier. Basically you want to see what you can do with xx and yy to eliminate tt, that'll get you xx in terms of yy or yy in terms of xx as required.

Original post by B_9710
For this type. Find t in terms of x and then substitute this expression of t into the equation for y. This eliminates t from the y equation leaving an equation in terms of x and y only - the Cartesian equation.

Original post by nerak99
x=16(y+1)22+1=32(y+1)2+1x = \frac{\frac{16}{(y+1)^2}}{2} + 1 = \frac{32}{(y+1)^2}+1 .

Because you would never get a mark at C4 with x=16(y+1)22+1x = \frac{\frac{16}{(y+1)^2}}{2} + 1 .

Zacken knows this but you might not

Thanks everyone :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by nerak99
x=16(y+1)22+1=32(y+1)2+1x = \frac{\frac{16}{(y+1)^2}}{2} + 1 = \frac{32}{(y+1)^2}+1 .

Surely it'd be x=8(y+1)2+1x = \frac{8}{(y+1)^2} + 1?
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken

Well I am nervous of arguing with you Zacken and you are correct

a) You kind of make my point and

b) You are right because I read it as a/(b/c) instead of (a/b)/c
Original post by Zacken

Brackets would help for clarity.
Reply 10
Original post by Xenon17
Brackets would help for clarity.

How would it?
Original post by Zacken
How would it?

. Could be written (16(y+1)2)2+1 \frac{\left(\frac{16}{(y+1)^2} \right)}{2} +1 (which is unambiguous)

Although it still is a massive carbuncle.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by nerak99
. Could be written (16(y+1)2)2+1 \frac{\left(\frac{16}{(y+1)^2} \right)}{2} +1

That's ruins the aesthetic and doesn't really help clear up any ambiguity since there is a visible and marked difference between

x=16(y+1)22\displaystyle x = \frac{\frac{16}{(y+1)^2}}{2} and x=16(y+1)22\displaystyle x = \frac{16}{\frac{(y+1)^2}{2}}
Original post by Zacken
That's ruins the aesthetic and doesn't really help clear up any ambiguity since there is a visible and marked difference between

x=16(y+1)22\displaystyle x = \frac{\frac{16}{(y+1)^2}}{2} and x=16(y+1)22\displaystyle x = \frac{16}{\frac{(y+1)^2}{2}}

Well There is no aesthetic in the double fraction form anyway but at least sticking brackets around the toip fraction makes it clear. If this were written by hand it would look like it could be a/b/c or a/b/c (ironic face) Hence the (a/b)/c we have here should be resolved to a/(bc) (smiley face, gritted teeth face, I am going for my tea now face)
Reply 14
Original post by nerak99
Well There is no aesthetic in the double fraction form anyway but at least sticking brackets around the toip fraction makes it clear. If this were written by hand it would look like it could be a/b/c or a/b/c (ironic face) Hence the (a/b)/c we have here should be resolved to a/(bc)

Ah, fair enough. I'll just simplify it down straight away next time, thanks. :tongue:
Perhaps it would have helped if I hadn't £%@%$&ed it up in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest