The Student Room Group

Exam hall. Stressed about seating plan.

In the exam hall I am sat at the front and I hate it. I get really anxious and can't think straight. I don't like the feeling of everyone watching me and I know that I won't do as well in my exams if I am at the front. I used to sit in the middle and I was ok but sitting at the front is too stressful. I think I'll be able to move to spaces at the back but I don't know.

Scroll to see replies

Trust me bro, I don't think anyone will be looking at you. They will all be looking down at the exam paper. But if your that concerned then just tell who ever is in charge about what you think and they might change the seating arrangement.
Original post by ??xx
In the exam hall I am sat at the front and I hate it. I get really anxious and can't think straight. I don't like the feeling of everyone watching me and I know that I won't do as well in my exams if I am at the front. I used to sit in the middle and I was ok but sitting at the front is too stressful. I think I'll be able to move to spaces at the back but I don't know.

Why don't you speak to your head of Year?
It's unlikely that many people would be looking at you, since everyone should be looking at their exam paper instead! If you're really worried though, then try and get in touch with your exams officer or whoever is in charge of your exams and explain your concerns, they may be able to find you another seat :smile:
Original post by ??xx

If it's really worrying you speak to your form tutor or exams officer about it. Better to try and sort it out in advance than panic about it when you're trying to revise.
Original post by ??xx

Given the different combinations of exams in the exam hall, plus the different number of candidates each time, it's not likely you will have the same seat very often. No one has the spare space in their minds to give a damn about anyone else when they are sitting an exam. How often do you sit there thinking about other people when you are sitting one?
Sitting at the front is the best.. you're not surrounded by people, in front, to the left and right of you. I much prefer being at the front as I focus better
Original post by peanutbuttercup
Sitting at the front is the best.. you're not surrounded by people, in front, to the left and right of you. I much prefer being at the front as I focus better

Me too: I used to find it much easier to forget everyone else, and to avoid distraction. Sitting at the back is the worst, as you can see everybody else getting on with it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ??xx
In the exam hall I am sat at the front and I hate it. .

Get over it. Exams are not a Special Snowflake moment.

This may sound harsh but this is real life and this is what you have to deal with. As above, no-one else will be giving you the slightest thought anyway. Get in there, get on with the exam, and stop being paranoid.
this has to be the most idiotic thing i've heard all year.

how will you cope in the real world
Just ask if its that big a deal. Nobody is looking at you and at the front has fewer distractions. I think at the back or by the door is worse because of too many things in your field of vision.
Ask to revise in your exam seat in the hall. Worked wonders for my exam anxiety as you can associate calmness with your position in the room.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gr8wizard10

damn, this great wizard speaks the truth!
Original post by ??xx

Leave whatever your doing before the exam earlier and just isolate yourself. Take that extra time to just sit down and chill and calm those nerves. Sitting at the front is a pain in the ass but everyone will be looking at their paper, not you.

Little tip - the night before the exam, before bed, drink a liter or so of water. This will make you feel better in the morning and feel more focused in the exam.

Most importantly, just put your head down and focus on the questions and let worrying come later, after the exams.
Original post by ??xx

Talk to your exams officer. I had quite bad anxiety during my exams so she suggested moving me to the side of the hall where I can sit by the heater and have something to lean on. I'm sure there's no harm in asking :smile:
Original post by ??xx

Wait wtf.. WHO ARE YOU? :rofl:

There's guys in that exam hall trying to make it out the hood; trying to become anything but a Cleaner or a cashier at Tesco.
There's girls in that exam hall trying to get an A* so they don't become that basic bish that does Level 1 BTEC.

Who has time for YOU? There's approximately 75mins in an exam.. 1 hour, 15mins right? Who even has a minute to spare on YOU? :rofl2:
Original post by ??xx

I walked in with a massive wall clock just after the beginning of my GCSE history exam - so about 70 kids in the hall - and no one looked up or cared (well, the invigilators had a laugh but that's about it). Trust me, no one is watching you
Reply 17
Original post by gr8wizard10

Was thinking the exact same thing :P
Original post by ??xx

Really no one is watching you (except the invigilators but they watch everyone). You've probably left it too late to change seats - if you'd asked before they'd spent hours sorting all the seating plans out they could probably have put you at the back but it will almost certainly all be sorted and printed by now so they can deal with coursework and other stuff.
Just remind yourself that they won't really notice or be thinking about you because:

a) they'l be very nervous and focused on themselves doing their exam (they won't gain marks by looking at you)

b) Most people will not be able to see you because of the layout. It's not the same as being in a classroom. When they look around they will see the people around them including the back of the person sat in front of them and the people on the row in front of them at both sides, most people will barely be able to see the front row. If anything you will have more personal space than everyone stuck in the middle.

Quick Reply

Latest