The Student Room Group

What age did you learn your times tables?

Poll

What age did you learn your times tables?

People often say that TSRians are a bit smarter than the general populus so I'm curious to see whether there are many who learnt them prior to the age of 9 which is when they are meant to have been taught.

Please ignore the poll typo
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
People often say that TSRians are a bit smarter than the general populus so I'm curious to see whether there are many who learnt them prior to the age of 9 which is when they are meant to have been taught.

Your title is a bit weird.
What age d
Original post by ODES_PDES
Your title is a bit weird.
What age d

I've amended the title now. Thanks for spotting the error :h:. Messed up the poll too :angry:. Rerported so hopefully that can be edited soon.

For me it was 5-6
What times tables...uhhhh
Honestly can't remember
Original post by Little Popcorns
What times tables...uhhhh

It's the less formal name of a multiplication table.

Students around the world are often expected to memorize the operations in the table below in Primary School.

Times Tables image

(edited 7 years ago)
I'm pretty sure I knew most of my times tables in year 1 of primary school, so I guess 5-6?

Definitely by 7.
i learnt mine from 1-12 when i was like 7, i was the best in ma class i remember :smile: id be able to answer real quick
I certainly knew up to 15 before I started school. I assume I could have easily recited higher tables as I was obviously capable of basic arithmetic, but I only definitely remember knowing up to 15 well enough to answer any relevant multiplication question instantly.

It came in useful when we were set those basic multiplication tests with 100 questions and I would finish in a couple of minutes at most and then could sit and draw dinosaurs or whatever :lol:
I never memorised the full thing.
Original post by mariam687
i learnt mine from 1-12 when i was like 7, i was the best in ma class i remember :smile: id be able to answer real quick

Ah okay. Like you, I didn't learn them slowly over same years but instead picked them up in 2000.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
I'm pretty sure I knew most of my times tables in year 1 of primary school, so I guess 5-6?

Definitely by 7.

Oh cool. I'm curious. Were you taught them at school?

Original post by ByronicHero
I certainly knew up to 15 before I started school. I assume I could have easily recited higher tables as I was obviously capable of basic arithmetic, but I only definitely remember knowing up to 15 well enough to answer any relevant multiplication question instantly.It came in useful when we were set those basic multiplication tests with 100 questions and I would finish in a couple of minutes at most and then could sit and draw dinosaurs or whatever :lol:

Oh nice. Do you know many more now? My mental arithmetic is very mediocre. My trajectory stopped fairly early.

I usually split operations up into smaller ones. If adding 88 to something, for example I add 100 then -12 :colondollar:.
Ah yes, I was quite the talker back then :moon:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah okay. Like you, I didn't learn them slowly over same years but instead picked them up in 2000.

Oh cool. I'm curious. Were you taught them at school?

Oh nice. Do you know many more now? My mental arithmetic is very mediocre. My trajectory stopped fairly early.

Ah yes, I was quite the talker back then :moon:.

No, but I can do 2 digit by 2 digit multiplication in my head quite easily so don't need to.

My trajectory stopped very early too, as you know. I didn't ever really learn any more maths beyond year 6 - such a waste of promise :moon:

Luckily for you, mental arithmetic isn't at all a necessary skill beyond very basic calculations as everyone has a calculator on their phone. Being able to do it in my head saves me a little time, but nothing more.
Reply 12
Still haven't learned them.
think I was about primary 3/4, what about you @samsam9797 ?

Oh cool. I'm curious. Were you taught them at school?.

Eventually. I can't remember when. I think my parents had something to do with it.
Reply 15
i knew it up to 10x10 by age ~6. then moved to the UK and had to learn till 12. then till 15x table - i never really learnt it super well past 11/12 (the ones i learnt at a younger age) even today i could answer any till 12x12 in a flash but not beyond.. (eg 13x14 would take me disprportionately longer than up till 12x12)
Original post by Zacken
Still haven't learned them.

What can you multiply then? :curious:
Reply 17
What can you multiply then? :curious:

Pretty much anything. Not by memorisation though. For example: 27×9=(20+7)(101)=20020+707=27 \times 9 = (20 + 7)(10-1) = 200 - 20 + 70 - 7 = \cdots
Original post by Zacken
Pretty much anything. Not by memorisation though. For example: 27×9=(20+7)(101)=20020+707=27 \times 9 = (20 + 7)(10-1) = 200 - 20 + 70 - 7 = \cdots

Ah, ok. As above, I often do split my operations but it does require having memorized a certain number of multiplications. After that, it seems pointless.
Reply 19
Ah, ok. As above, I often do split my operations but it does require having memorized a certain number of multiplications. After that, it seems pointless.

I suppose I know the basic "multiply by 10 means move the decimal dot and add a 0" etc... but not much more than that.

Quick Reply

Latest