The Student Room Group

How to revise for the A* in A2 chemistry

Hi guys!
Need an A or A* in chemistry so can someone answer these questions :

Do I need to do every single past paper?
How many times each?
Why are examiner reports useful 🤔??
And what tips would you give for revising chemistry !!!
Original post by trianglelifx
Hi guys!

How many times each?

Hello, pretty much yeah because questions and methods are so repeatitive. So more the practice, better the results. Just look at mechanism questions, there are a few of mechanisms but they come up in every paper and are worth 10mark, if not more.

Do them atleast twice.

Not sure about examiner reports, haven't read by myself for Chemistry but they are useful.

As of tips, do as many past papers as you can. Make short-hand notes by taking help from mark schemes. Go through them every other day especially if you find it hard to remember the content. Because the questions regarding application of Le Chatelier's Principle have the same answers so better you learn their mark scheme.

Good luck
Original post by thespaceshuttle
Hello, pretty much yeah because questions and methods are so repeatitive. So more the practice, better the results. Just look at mechanism questions, there are a few of mechanisms but they come up in every paper and are worth 10mark, if not more.

Do them atleast twice.

Not sure about examiner reports, haven't read by myself for Chemistry but they are useful.

As of tips, do as many past papers as you can. Make short-hand notes by taking help from mark schemes. Go through them every other day especially if you find it hard to remember the content. Because the questions regarding application of Le Chatelier's Principle have the same answers so better you learn their mark scheme.

Good luck

Great thanks!! Do you think it's better if I try to understand the mechanisms or just learn the markscheme for them?

Also if you've done Alevel chemistry did you make a mind map of the reactions and did that help?
Great thanks!! Do you think it's better if I try to understand the mechanisms or just learn the markscheme for them?

Also if you've done Alevel chemistry did you make a mind map of the reactions and did that help?

No worries :smile:

It's better to understand because examiners throw random reactions. You'll be able to tackle only if you know how that mechanism works.

I'm doing my A2 and yes I made mind maps but never worked for me. Because its alot of information about many topics so I mess it all up. I prefer doing one and then move to the other. It works for many others though, it mainly depends how you learn the best and how your memory works.
Hi guys!

How many times each?

Do every single paper, unless you're clever
Original post by interact
Do every single paper, unless you're clever

Ok thanks!
No worries :smile:

It's better to understand because examiners throw random reactions. You'll be able to tackle only if you know how that mechanism works.

I'm doing my A2 and yes I made mind maps but never worked for me. Because its alot of information about many topics so I mess it all up. I prefer doing one and then move to the other. It works for many others though, it mainly depends how you learn the best and how your memory works.

Thought so! Yeah mind maps ain't working for me either thought it was just me aha. Same have you done any past papers for unit 5 yet?🙂
Thought so! Yeah mind maps ain't working for me either thought it was just me aha. Same have you done any past papers for unit 5 yet?🙂

1 or 2 maybe, I'm focusing on ISAs, CHEM4 and the modules I'm resitting as they are before CHEM5. But I need to start its proper revision asap.

What about you? How is your Chemistry revision going? How do you revise? Have you done any past papers? On the scale of 1-10 how confident you're with your preparation?
1 or 2 maybe, I'm focusing on ISAs, CHEM4 and the modules I'm resitting as they are before CHEM5. But I need to start its proper revision asap.

What about you? How is your Chemistry revision going? How do you revise? Have you done any past papers? On the scale of 1-10 how confident you're with your preparation?

Same here ive been doing ch1 Revsion. I'd say 6 at the moment hopefully be 8 in a week and a half! You? I just make notes on a topic using the text book and learn them, then I do some past paper questions on that topic! Now that we've done ch4 , chem 2 seeems nicer now! How about you, how do you revsie for chemistry and how's it going so far?
Same here ive been doing ch1 Revsion. I'd say 6 at the moment hopefully be 8 in a week and a half! You? I just make notes on a topic using the text book and learn them, then I do some past paper questions on that topic! Now that we've done ch4 , chem 2 seeems nicer now! How about you, how do you revsie for chemistry and how's it going so far?

That's good and hopefully it gets better.

I'm not the one who has revised well for chemistry uptill now. I was focusing on my other subjects and now when they are back on track I'm taking Chemistry along.

Same I made notes but using CGP book. I focus on past papers and mark them. Highlight areas which need to brush up on knowledge or need practice. Then do topic exam questions. That's really it.
That's good and hopefully it gets better.

I'm not the one who has revised well for chemistry uptill now. I was focusing on my other subjects and now when they are back on track I'm taking Chemistry along.

Same I made notes but using CGP book. I focus on past papers and mark them. Highlight areas which need to brush up on knowledge or need practice. Then do topic exam questions. That's really it.

You still have a while so it's fine!
Yeah I do the same. might have to get that cgp book since I've heard it's good

Quick Reply

Latest