The Student Room Group

Parents don't like me vaping

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spv
Then, he's pulling his weight, and can smoke outside the house if he really wants to (have a discussion with parents regarding this)
At the end of the day, they're still his parents, and he has to respect them!

Agree totally on that front, just as someone who will probably want to stay with his parents into their old age was wondering in peoples opinion at what point it becomes "they're living with me" as opposed to me living with them.

(totally derailing the OP lol)
Reply 21
Original post by Reue
Telling someone that you're going to be doing something regardless of what they say is not a discussion :wink:

Having a decision, in which the parents compromise was my point. Not simply doing whatever regardless of what your parents have said.
Reply 22
Original post by spv
Having a decision, in which the parents compromise was my point. Not simply doing whatever regardless of what your parents have said.

And my point was that OP should do as they wish, regardless of what their parents have said.

You may think it beneficially to bend to their will over something like this, however it's a slippery slope. Adults who put up with their parents controlling aspects of their life will quickly find that control continues far longer and wider than they initially thought. Better to be affirmative right from the beginning; let them know you appreciate their assistance but it won't be at the expense of your freedom.
Reply 23
Original post by SmashConcept
To be honest if your parents are giving you rules on how to conduct yourself outside of their house when you're over 18 you have a pretty dysfunctional relationship.

LMAO.
no.

My relationship with my parents is amazing, but thanks for the input. When you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME.
:colondollar:
Original post by spv
Then, he's pulling his weight, and can smoke outside the house if he really wants to (have a discussion with parents regarding this)
At the end of the day, they're still his parents, and he has to respect them!

respect and obedience are a different thing
Reply 25
Original post by Reue
And my point was that OP should do as they wish, regardless of what their parents have said.

You may think it beneficially to bend to their will over something like this, however it's a slippery slope. Adults who put up with their parents controlling aspects of their life will quickly find that control continues far longer and wider than they initially thought. Better to be affirmative right from the beginning; let them know you appreciate their assistance but it won't be at the expense of your freedom.

I disagree, but this will just go back and forth.
Parents don't say things just to control you. There's a reason why they say something. Simply writing them off, and doing whatever is not healthy-EVEN if you're an adult.

Spoiler

Reply 26
Original post by spv
I disagree, but this will just go back and forth.
Parents don't say things just to control you. There's a reason why they say something. Simply writing them off, and doing whatever is not healthy-EVEN if you're an adult.

Spoiler

Some parents do say things just to control you, you're naive if you think differently.

I won't survive in an Indian household because I wouldn't stay in an Indian household if it involved my parents trying to control what I done outside of their house.
Reply 27
Original post by AperfectBalance
respect and obedience are a different thing

Being obedient would be not smoking at all.
Being respectful is talking it through with his parents saying, I understand I'm in your house and I won't smoke inside. I know you only want the best for me, and that's why you're saying I shouldn't smoke, but I'm an idiot and I'm going to choose to smoke anyway because I enjoy destroying my pleural tissue-OUTSIDE the house.
Original post by spv
LMAO.
no.

My relationship with my parents is amazing, but thanks for the input. When you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME.
:colondollar:

I'm speaking in generalities obviously. If you have some kind of disability or something else that prevents you from making your own decisions as an adult then I think it's great that your parents are stepping in.
Original post by FurryBoy23
recently me and my friends have started to vape because its cool to vape together but my parents found my pen and threw it away i hate them but i want to vape with my friends because its cool what do i do

Badman year 7 alert :colonhash:
Reply 30
Original post by Reue
Some parents do say things just to control you, you're naive if you think differently.

I won't survive in an Indian household because I wouldn't stay in an Indian household if it involved my parents trying to control what I done outside of their house.

That's fair enough. OP should leave his house and respect his parents as well.
It comes down to the fact that you want to have mutual respect between yourself and your parents. Vaping isn't healthy, and that's probably why they want you to stop, but it is your choice. However, if you're living with your parents and they're supporting you financially in any way whatsoever, or you want to maintain a healthy relationship for whatever reason, you should stop, or at least start to cut down. Show some respect, not because they're parents but because they're human beings with whom you have a relationship.
Original post by spv
Being obedient would be not smoking at all.
Being respectful is talking it through with his parents saying, I understand I'm in your house and I won't smoke inside. I know you only want the best for me, and that's why you're saying I shouldn't smoke, but I'm an idiot and I'm going to choose to smoke anyway because I enjoy destroying my pleural tissue-OUTSIDE the house.

when you are 18 your parents cannot control what you do outside of the house at all. unless under special circumstances,

What should you do if your parents don't respect you or are making bad decisions?
Reply 33
Original post by AperfectBalance
when you are 18 your parents cannot control what you do outside of the house at all. unless under special circumstances,

What should you do if your parents don't respect you or are making bad decisions?

IDK. I have perfect parents, so I can only speculate--> but if I didn't, then I would still try to listen to them as much as I could-for the decent stuff anyway. Me, personally, I would ask my friends what their parents would do in the situation. Hopefully, they don't have loser parents either.
Original post by spv
IDK. I have perfect parents, so I can only speculate--> but if I didn't, then I would still try to listen to them as much as I could-for the decent stuff anyway. Me, personally, I would ask my friends what their parents would do in the situation. Hopefully, they don't have loser parents either.

Well no one is perfect but I am glad you are happy.
I agree that you should respect your parents but not always listen to them
Reply 35
nahh, my parents are perfect haha, but thanks!

I agree as well, within a certain understanding.
There's that joke:

Doctor (taking down details): Do you smoke?
Patient: No, but I vape.
Doctor: No sexual activity either, then. Okay.
Original post by FurryBoy23
recently me and my friends have started to vape because its cool to vape together but my parents found my pen and threw it away i hate them but i want to vape with my friends because its cool what do i do

Laughed when you said its cool
Tis not
No drugs are "cool" but if you're going for cool just do weed or heroin k
Vaping is for menopausing women
Buy a new pen but ask a friend to keep it for you. That's what me and @samsam9797 do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending