The Student Room Group

French A2 Oral help

Hey guys; got my oral in a couple of weeks and am quite nervous.
Really struggling with the cultural topics and what to say. I'm doing the occupation of France and Amelie but I don't really understand how to get top marks and be spontaneous about the questions I get asked.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For the cultural topics, we've been given a list of questions which cover a majority of what we could be asked, and I've prepared answers to them- I'm not going to memorise them, but it helps to know the key points that you want to make for each question. Then, I've got a blank copy of the questions, and to practise, I answer each one in turn, off the top of my head. You could get someone else to ask you the questions instead, but I don't really have anyone I can ask to do that :tongue:
As well as that, I'm making sure I know a lot of vocab and key points/dates for both topics.

I'm doing the occupation as well, so if you'd like, I could send you the list of oral questions we were given on that topic? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by EmyJ14

I'm doing the occupation as well, so if you'd like, I could send you the list of oral questions we were given on that topic? :smile:

If you could do that that would be insane; thank you very much for such a detailed reply. I didn't do too well in my mock and I'm quite nervous now as its like in a couple weeks time.
Reply 3
Original post by ediosaurus
If you could do that that would be insane; thank you very much for such a detailed reply. I didn't do too well in my mock and I'm quite nervous now as its like in a couple weeks time.

No problem, will PM them to you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by EmyJ14
No problem, will PM them to you :smile:

Thank you so much
Hi, I'm also studying the occupation and am really struggling with preparing for my speaking. Sorry to be cheeky but I wondered if you could possibly send me your questions aswell?
Reply 6
Original post by Gemmamorgan
Hi, I'm also studying the occupation and am really struggling with preparing for my speaking. Sorry to be cheeky but I wondered if you could possibly send me your questions aswell?

I will PM them to you :tongue:
Tips for French oral exam? Just try to ignore all the hair, it's a cultural thing apparently.....

I'll leave now :getmecoat:
[QUOTE="EmyJ14;64118411"]For the cultural topics, we've been given a list of questions which cover a majority of what we could be asked, and I've prepared answers to them- I'm not going to memorise them, but it helps to know the key points that you want to make for each question. Then, I've got a blank copy of the questions, and to practise, I answer each one in turn, off the top of my head. You could get someone else to ask you the questions instead, but I don't really have anyone I can ask to do that :tongue:
As well as that, I'm making sure I know a lot of vocab and key points/dates for both topics.

I'm doing the occupation as well, so if you'd like, I could send you the list of oral questions we were given on that topic? :smile:[/QUOTE

Hey, Can I have them too pls?
Reply 9
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Tips for French oral exam? Just try to ignore all the hair, it's a cultural thing apparently.....

I'll leave now :getmecoat:

ayyyyyy
Reply 10
I just thought I'd mention that you could also try to learn as much vocab relating to the topic as possible as that won't hurt. Knowing language and grammar will help with the spontaneity too in my experience. Remember - tenses (including the subjunctive) are important too.
Also,make sure you know a few key dates in the cultural topic and a few key scenes from Amelie, along with a couple of quotes :smile:
I did it last year so if you'd like to ask anything, ask away
Reply 11
Original post by tarabug
I just thought I'd mention that you could also try to learn as much vocab relating to the topic as possible as that won't hurt. Knowing language and grammar will help with the spontaneity too in my experience. Remember - tenses (including the subjunctive) are important too.
Also,make sure you know a few key dates in the cultural topic and a few key scenes from Amelie, along with a couple of quotes :smile:
I did it last year so if you'd like to ask anything, ask away

I'd have loved to but its in 10 minutes ahahaha, pray4me
Reply 12
I'd have loved to but its in 10 minutes ahahaha, pray4me

How did it go?
Reply 13
Original post by EmyJ14
How did it go?

Erh I found the topic card more challenging than expected however I really nailed the Occupation questions and I feel like you the questions helped a lot! Thank you!
Reply 14
Erh I found the topic card more challenging than expected however I really nailed the Occupation questions and I feel like you the questions helped a lot! Thank you!

I'm glad they were useful :biggrin: Which exam board are you on? I'm on AQA, and everyone in my class thought the cards were quite tricky.
Reply 15
Original post by EmyJ14
I'm glad they were useful :biggrin: Which exam board are you on? I'm on AQA, and everyone in my class thought the cards were quite tricky.

I'm on AQA too, I had a card on space technology and a ban on cars in cities. How'd yours go in the end?
Original post by EmyJ14

Hey! Aqa also and the cards were quite specific weren't they. Mine was the EU immigration one. I'm just glad wealth and poverty didn't come up
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
I'm on AQA too, I had a card on space technology and a ban on cars in cities. How'd yours go in the end?

Oh cool. Mine went okay, thanks. Although afterwards, I kept thinking back over the mistakes I made, which has made me kind of forget how the rest of it went now :rolleyes: The teacher seemed to think it was good though, so hopefully I did okay.

Original post by Hannah100598
Hey! Aqa also and the cards were quite specific weren't they. Mine was the EU immigration one. I'm just glad wealth and poverty didn't come up

They were! I wouldn't have minded wealth and poverty, I usually find it easier if there is a more humanitarian side to argue. Glad to hear your oral went well :tongue:

Hiya! Im doing my oral this time next week (god help me) and i havent had any help with it as im a private candidate so i havent even had a mock! Was looking for help and advice and i noticed you said you had 2 cards. Is that the case? I thought we just had one stimulus with opinions?
Thanks!! Xx
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EmyJ14
Oh cool. Mine went okay, thanks. Although afterwards, I kept thinking back over the mistakes I made, which has made me kind of forget how the rest of it went now :rolleyes: The teacher seemed to think it was good though, so hopefully I did okay.

They were! I wouldn't have minded wealth and poverty, I usually find it easier if there is a more humanitarian side to argue. Glad to hear your oral went well :tongue:

Thanks and well done too!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending