The Student Room Group

Is it too late to learn Piano and become a musician at 17?

I want to play piano very well. I have a passion for music, and I have also been told by my old piano teacher that I may have a natural talent (he was thinking about entering me in for the first graded exam earlier than he usually would), however I had to stop due to GCSEs. It's a great regret of mine since I was only 14/15 at the time, and now I'm 17. I'd love to be a pianist or be in a band or just be able to say "I can play piano very well", and perform to even a small audience.

I wish I had started as an infant, so I could be doing A-Level music by now, but unfortunately I'm nowhere near.

However, if I dedicate time and practise for hours, as well as doing appropriate music theory on the side, is it too late to become a musician? :frown:
Reply 1
nah! i started playing piano when i was about 13/14 by myself literally watching youtube tutorials for a few years and now (at 17) i can read sheet music and play songs like I Giorni and River Flows in You pretty decently! i've never sat a graded exam and never had a piano teacher, and while i'd like to get better and actually learn about the mechanics of the piano i'm super happy with where i'm at in terms of ability to play considering i taught myself! it's never too late to do anything, especially if you have a natural flare for it and pick instruments up quite easily.
Nope, it's never too late.

Perhaps you will never be the most virtuosic of concert pianists but you can certainly get to a decent level of piano playing. It is commonly felt that anyone can get to at least Grade 8 instrument with hard work with the later diplomas being more or less accessible depending on affinity for the instrument. I would get a teacher, if possible. And practice is difficult and can be boring. I would take baby steps and try to practice half an hr to an hr at first daily. Little and often is better than huge intermittent sessions.

You have below two examples of grade 8 pieces set in the last few years.

1 Piece

2 Piece

You might find this useful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Musicians aren't real, this is 2016. Download FL Studio and make beats. Who needs to know how to play the piano anymore?!
Reply 4
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I want to play piano very well. I have a passion for music, and I have also been told by my old piano teacher that I may have a natural talent (he was thinking about entering me in for the first graded exam earlier than he usually would), however I had to stop due to GCSEs. It's a great regret of mine since I was only 14/15 at the time, and now I'm 17. I'd love to be a pianist or be in a band or just be able to say "I can play piano very well", and perform to even a small audience.

I wish I had started as an infant, so I could be doing A-Level music by now, but unfortunately I'm nowhere near.

However, if I dedicate time and practise for hours, as well as doing appropriate music theory on the side, is it too late to become a musician? :frown:

I'm not entirely sure about becoming a professional musician, but I can advise on some of your other points! I know it's a different instrument, but when I started playing the cello, I did the first graded exam within 3 months, getting a distinction, and then I did the Grade 3 exam within 10 months, getting a merit. I probably should've done it a bit slower, but I practised daily and absolutely loved the instrument (still do)! I'm now playing Grade 5-ish standard stuff, around a year and a half into learning. This is with somewhat hard work, as it's my only hobby and I really threw myself into it.

I performed in front of an entire primary school within only 3 months (the day of my first music exam) - so yes! Your goals to say you can perform to a small audience are very, very achievable. You're only 17! You can definitely do it :h:
"Abandoning your dreams is like abandoning color. You won't see your life the way you want it to be." - Jason Grey
Thanks very much guys, you've all really motivated me! After my AS exams I'll be getting a piano teacher, and with enough daily practise, we can see where it goes. I'm hoping to do Grades, even if I only get up to Grade 8, I'll be happy. I want to train classically to give me a good grounding in the instrument :biggrin:
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Nope, it's never too late.

Perhaps you will never be the most virtuosic of concert pianists but you can certainly get to a decent level of piano playing. It is commonly felt that anyone can get to at least Grade 8 instrument with hard work with the later diplomas being more or less accessible depending on affinity for the instrument. I would get a teacher, if possible. And practice is difficult and can be boring. I would take baby steps and try to practice half an hr to an hr at first daily. Little and often is better than huge intermittent sessions.

You have below two examples of grade 8 pieces set in the last few years.

1 Piece

2 Piece

You might find this useful.

I'm in the middle of learning Piece 1 haha. At this point it still as my fingers in a twist :biggrin:

Spoiler

I'd like to take up the piano again at university, so I think it's perfectly possible!
Original post by surina16
I'm in the middle of learning Piece 1 haha. At this point it still as my fingers in a twist :biggrin:

Spoiler

Good luck haha! Hoping I can get to that standard of playing, or at least somewhere close - I'd love to be a musician, I could kick my young self for not starting piano at a younger age.
Good luck haha! Hoping I can get to that standard of playing, or at least somewhere close - I'd love to be a musician, I could kick my young self for not starting piano at a younger age.

It doesn't matter how old you are when you start playing. Also diversify, don't just stick to classical pieces, learn some folk and pop songs/tunes, too!
Original post by john2054
It doesn't matter how old you are when you start playing. Also diversify, don't just stick to classical pieces, learn some folk and pop songs/tunes, too!

I definitely will! I'd like to learn some jazz, but especially popular music, and especially Coldplay because they're my absolute favourite band. I'd love to be able to jam with people!
I definitely will! I'd like to learn some jazz, but especially popular music, and especially Coldplay because they're my absolute favourite band. I'd love to be able to jam with people!

You don't need to be an expert pianist in order to play some coldplay/pop songs. Just go to your local music shop and buy a song book, then get playing? Also the guitar is a nice instrument you know??
You don't need to be an expert pianist in order to play some coldplay/pop songs. Just go to your local music shop and buy a song book, then get playing? Also the guitar is a nice instrument you know??

Yeah thats true, but I want to be as good as I can be in general and not just learn a few of my favourite band's songs and other pop songs.

Yeah, I can play a bit of guitar!
Yeah thats true, but I want to be as good as I can be in general and not just learn a few of my favourite band's songs and other pop songs.

Yeah, I can play a bit of guitar!

Do you know how to play any scales, or chords, on the guitar?
Do you know how to play any scales, or chords, on the guitar?

I don't know a one or two scales, and lots of chords.
The thing is with graded exams...they don't really mean much. You learn technique etc, scales and sight reading and all of that. But once you get to diploma (I'll be doing this hopefully as from end of 2017) you can officially teach piano. :confused:

I've been sticking to exams now for 8 years. From prep to my grade 8 now, and I can honestly say it doesn't matter what grade you are, or even if you do grades, as long as you have the passion and dedication for piano, DO IT!
In a word, no.

Quick Reply

Latest