The Student Room Group

Is anyone happy to proof read over my work

xjjoijio
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dylantombides
It's for my dissertation. It's very journalism based. If you can just PM me and i'll email it to you. Many thanks!

I don't think anyone on here is qualified enough to judge a +10,000 worded dissertation hon.

Ask a friend or perhaps someone on your course? The latter would be more helpful to you than a randomer who knows nothing about journalism.
Proofreading, is just that. It's not editing.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I don't think anyone on here is qualified enough to judge a +10,000 worded dissertation hon.

Ask a friend or perhaps someone on your course? The latter would be more helpful to you than a randomer who knows nothing about journalism.

There could be some literally googling "journalism editing for students" and it leads them here
No need to insult a whole website
Original post by 999tigger
Proofreading, is just that. It's not editing.

Yea checking for grammar and spelling I thought, which I can do and would love to do
(for a fee)
It's for my dissertation. It's very journalism based. If you can just PM me and i'll email it to you. Many thanks!

If you want a good and reliable service you often need to pay, it's very rare to find someone with adequate experience and expertise who would take on such a large project for free. I'm sure there are some, like myself, who edit and proofread semi-professionally but personally I would only do a small project as a goodwill gesture if I felt inclined. You can probably find someone at your uni who would do it for less than a proofreading service would charge though, so you might want to look into that, but beware of inexperienced proofreaders as I've seen some do more harm than good.
Original post by 0to100
There could be some literally googling "journalism editing for students" and it leads them here
No need to insult a whole website

How was that an insult? I was simply saying TSR isn't known for having journalism students and I was referring back to the TSR Community - there are known journalists within the community. Which what I was saying.

Please check yourself before you start throwing mud.
I would not post such importance on the internet. Someone could get ideas from it or just something on the lines of that.
Original post by Charlotte49
If you want a good and reliable service you often need to pay, it's very rare to find someone with adequate experience and expertise who would take on such a large project for free.

Yes now I don't feel bad for saying I'd only do it for a fee lol
How was that an insult? I was simply saying TSR isn't known for having journalism students and I was referring back to the TSR Community - there are known journalists within the community. Which what I was saying.

Please check yourself before you start throwing mud.

You did not refer to anything. You said the "latter" would be more appropriate than "randomers"
The latter in your post was "someone on your course"
not someone on TSR who is a journalist, which you also didn't say anything about
Well anyway
Original post by urbanlocations
I would not post such importance on the internet. Someone could get ideas from it or just something on the lines of that.

True
OP should talk to a tutor on his campus or something

My work is only 6000 words and it's not finished so it's less than that. Plus:
I was just going to send my method. And then maybe my results and discussion if thats ok.

That's why i was going to private message and i doubt anyone here happens to be doing the same dissertation
Original post by Charlotte49
If you want a good and reliable service you often need to pay, it's very rare to find someone with adequate experience and expertise who would take on such a large project for free. I'm sure there are some, like myself, who edit and proofread semi-professionally but personally I would only do a small project as a goodwill gesture if I felt inclined. You can probably find someone at your uni who would do it for less than a proofreading service would charge though, so you might want to look into that, but beware of inexperienced proofreaders as I've seen some do more harm than good.

Thanks. Just a little proof-read will be sufficient - i won't pay. I've PM'd you
Thanks. Just a little proof-read will be sufficient - i won't pay. I've PM'd you

I'm not sure if you've misunderstood, I wasn't actually offering my services, I was just trying to explain how proofreading services generally work. To clarify, I have a long waiting list of paid clients at the minute so couldn't help you even if you were willing/able to pay, and I only work for free for very small projects in exceptional circumstances where I feel that the person really needs my help, and when I have the time to do a decent job, which I currently don't.
My work is only 6000 words and it's not finished so it's less than that. Plus:
I was just going to send my method. And then maybe my results and discussion if thats ok.

Oh right, dissertations are usually 8 thousand or more words.

I'm not too sure if that's a good idea. As I've said, why can you not ask a coursemate or a family member or a friend? Surely 1 out of the 3 could help you? Even a flat/house mate?
Oh its you that said 10,000 words.

OP if you want to discuss method and discuss results, thats different from proofreading.
That's why i was going to private message and i doubt anyone here happens to be doing the same dissertation

You never know? + the person you private message could be anyone...

I am just helping you. Last thing you want is Turnitin to be a score of 100.
You never know? + the person you private message could be anyone...

I am just helping you. Last thing you want is Turnitin to be a score of 100.

If my turnitin score is 100 so will theres so i doubt anyone would plagarise my work when THEY will get in trouble themselves
Original post by 999tigger
Oh its you that said 10,000 words.

OP if you want to discuss method and discuss results, thats different from proofreading.

I don't want to 'discuss' them - just want someone to check over it. Rather than looking over the whole thing maybe someone could just look over one section. My whole dissertation is 6000 words - i've written about 4000 - if you look over just one section it'll probably only be about 1000 words you're looking over

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending