The Student Room Group

What Is GCSE Triple Science Like?

I'm picking my options in a few weeks and I'm not sure if I should choose Additional or Triple Science. What are the pros/cons of TS in your opinion? Is it too hard? Opinions?
Thanks!
It is hard and there is a lot of content to remember however you find that topics link in and if you are planning on taking a science at a level, you may find that having triple science puts you at an advantage. You need to decide whether you will put the time and effort in to get good grades, work hard and you'll have no probably getting three A*s! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree completely with @BobbiBlue; the only thing I would add is that you get an extra GCSE, which is a major advantage - particularly if you want to apply to top universities. It's a lot of work, but as with any subject you'll be absolutely fine if you keep on top of it.

I say go for it! :h::h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by beingalearner
I'm picking my options in a few weeks and I'm not sure if I should choose Additional or Triple Science. What are the pros/cons of TS in your opinion? Is it too hard? Opinions?
Thanks!

If you plan to take any sciences at A level/college then I'd say go for it. It provides a some background knowledge for A Levels. If I recall, I don't remember disliking triple science.

I don't remember it being too hard, though I probably had to work harder than my other subjects. With this being said, Triple Science is a lot of content - you either have to be passionate (in terms of passion for the subject and the unwavering will to suceed) and/or have a good memory

In regards to the above comment, universities don't care (of course there is no official statement, so don't quote me) if you took triple science or additional science - it's mainly about your A level results (but you could argue that because of the A level changes, there is little data i.e. grades to judge you on). As far as I know, the exceptions to this are Cambridge and Oxford.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've actually heard that getting A*s in double science is harder than in triple science, and if you're considering doing a science subject at A level or having a STEM career, definitely go for it. All GCSEs are hard but doing triple science can be particularly rewarding.
I don't think triple is necessarily harder than double, there's just more stuff to learn. Definitely worth it though, especially if you want to go on to do something science-related, like others have said :tongue:
Hey. I did triple science last year and would definitely recommend it! You literally sit the exact same papers as people that take double science, except one extra one for each science. The positives of it are that you are able to get separate grades for all 3 sciences. so none of them pull your grade down if you struggle in one particularly, it helps keep your options open and it also looks very good on your CV. The only particular downside is that you have to do another module in the same amount of lessons as double scientists have, so naturally you have to go through the content faster. However, this isn't a problem if you understand the topics relatively quickly. It's honestly not ridiculously hard either. I am only naturally able in Biology and had an appalling teacher in Physics, but managed to get an A* in every science paper I took. As long as you work hard enough so that you feel confident and keep on top of your work, you shouldn't come to too much trouble. If you need any further help, do let me know :smile:
I took triple and one thing I would take into consideration is with triple that if you're really good in say two sciences and pathetic or average in the third, like me with physics, it won't affect your grade in the other two but say in double or additional with an A* in Chem, A in Biology and C in Physics for example would bring your overall grade down to a B. Just something I know stressed a lot of my friends who took double out :-)
Triple science is good because if you aren't doing as well in one it doesn't bring the others down were as in normal it does, you also get an extra GCSE. I'm currently in year 10 taking triple science and I don't find it that difficult currently on an A-A* depending on the topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
In a word, ****.
9 Exams for 3 GCSEs or 4 Exams for 2 GCSEs of higher grade (because there's no P3 B3 or C3 which are the hardest units)
It really depends on yourself.
Can you deal with 3 extra exams?
Also, the pace is usually faster if you take triple, so if you're good at grasping things then I'd definitely go for it.

Source: i'm doing triple and i think its fine personally.
I am currently doing triple science. There really isn't too much more to learn than double science, just a paragraph or so for each topic and you get a whole GCSE out of it whereas people who do double science still have to do all 3 sciences but they only get 2 GCSEs, which doesn't really make sense to me.
It's fine, easily learned out of the text book. Yes there's a lot of content knowledge, but some topics transfer into different units so it makes it more manageable because you have knowledge from a previous unit. Revision will be time consuming. Nothing is particularly hard or anything you couldn't learn with a 30-minute sitting down session with your revision guide
too hard, but thats bc i have more gcse's to study for and i also have stress of mosque exams :/

but if your commited and confident then by all means do it
:smile:
Do it.
Selective advantage
I think people who take triple science are often harder working and more determined (I know this isn't always the case!) and if there is even the slightest chance you want to do science at a levels then I would recommend it! And if you do really struggle then you can still do foundation for the unit three.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Triple is definitely not HARDER, it's just an extra unit to learn and an extra 3 exams. Go for it :smile:
Fairly standard and easy if a) you keep up with the work and b) have a CGP guide for revision as that's been my saviour
And if you're on OCR Gateway it's only an extra two exams I believe, to have six in total

Quick Reply

Latest