The Student Room Group

Should I do a degree in engineering or IT?

I'm considering either a degree apprenticeship in digital tech solutions:
http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/apprenticeships/students/digital--technology-solutions/
The alternative is a mechanical or electrical engineering degree. I'm getting B's in biology, chemistry and psychology at AS, and A's in maths. However I find A levels pretty stressful, and I fear a full time degree would be too much.

Is a degree apprenticeship in this field less valued than an engineering degree? What prospects would I have with the apprenticeship (and how would the salary compare to a standard mechanical/electrical engineer)?
Original post by jasonrose98
I'm considering either a degree apprenticeship in digital tech solutions:
http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/apprenticeships/students/digital--technology-solutions/
The alternative is a mechanical or electrical engineering degree. I'm getting B's in biology, chemistry and psychology at AS, and A's in maths. However I find A levels pretty stressful, and I fear a full time degree would be too much.

Is a degree apprenticeship in this field less valued than an engineering degree? What prospects would I have with the apprenticeship (and how would the salary compare to a standard mechanical/electrical engineer)?

If you think a levels are stressful it's likely you'd find engineering unbearable. But if you find maths a breeze (especially the mechanics modules) then you can do mechanical engineering. It can also be that chemistry and biology are not what you want to be doing so they're stressing you out.

We can't tell you what to do but I can only advise in mechanical engineering as a degree.
Reply 2
I'd say the stress level (most to least) is
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
Maths
And we've not really covered the mechanics modules yet.
Do a computer science degree if you're actually interested in technology.
I'd say the stress level (most to least) is
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
Maths
And we've not really covered the mechanics modules yet.

Wait until you've covered the mechanics modules before you make a decision about mech engineering. Also you should do as much mechanics as possible. Ignore statistcs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Wait until you've covered the mechanics modules before you make a decision about mech engineering. Also you should do as much mechanics as possible. Ignore statistcs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We do stats at college and I hate it ._.
It's the AQA maths spec where you do core 1, 2, 3, 4, and 2 of decision, stats and mechanics 1 (I'm doing mechanics next year). Am I allowed to pay to sit mechanics 2 on top of this or replace S1 with M2?
We do stats at college and I hate it ._.
It's the AQA maths spec where you do core 1, 2, 3, 4, and 2 of decision, stats and mechanics 1 (I'm doing mechanics next year). Am I allowed to pay to sit mechanics 2 on top of this or replace S1 with M2?

Well each college has their own rules and I'm not very familiar with AQA.

Quick Reply

Latest