The Student Room Group

Three took money for half a year after cancelling?!

Been on the phone with Three all day - I cancelled my contract with them wayyy back last year. Got a letter from them a couple of weeks ago that they were raising my monthly bill. Confusing!

Called customer services, they said they couldn't find any account information, I should go into a store.

Went into a store, they said they couldn't bring up my details, I should call customer service.

Called customer service today, and the guy on the phone said "Oh yes, you cancelled your contract but it's still active. We can see that there's been no activity on your phone, but we've been billing you every month."

Like, McScuse Me?!

"I can cancel your contract for you again, but you'll get another bill for next month because you have to give 30 days notice again, then we'll send you a final cancellation charge in June.

This is outrageous. As if him just saying "i know you cancelled it, but the account is still active" is perfectly acceptable reason for billing me over £100 behind my back since September.
Start with their complain procedure. Find out why it wasnt canceled properly the first time round and make a request for the refund of the money.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Start with their complain procedure. Find out why it wasnt canceled properly the first time round and make a request for the refund of the money.

Apparently when I didn't take up another contract with the same phone number within 30 days, they decided to - without my knowledge - revert back to billing me and reactivated my account. Apparently I need to give them 30 days notice to cancel an account, but they can reactivate my account after that and not tell me at all?!

I asked to be put through to complaints department, and the guy all but refused. He just said the account was still active, and he can file another cancellation.

I am supposed to receive a call back within an hour. It's rapidly approaching that time, something tells me they'll never call back.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XMaramena
Apparently when I didn't take up another contract with the same phone number within 30 days, they decided to - without my knowledge - revert back to billing me and reactivated my account. Apparently I need to give them 30 days notice to cancel an account, but they can reactivate my account after that and not tell me at all?!

I asked to be put through to complaints department, and the guy all but refused. He just said the account was still active, and he can file another cancellation.

I am supposed to receive a call back within an hour. It's rapidly approaching that time, something tells me they'll never call back.

Take it down to cab or read their ts and cs for yourself. thats all it takes.

In writing is good, probably recorded delivery. Ask them about the complaints procedure and follow that.
Reply 4
Take it down to cab or read their ts and cs for yourself. thats all it takes.

In writing is good, probably recorded delivery. Ask them about the complaints procedure and follow that.

Cab?
citizens advice- to know what they have done wrong if anything, then someone needs to look at theur terms and conditions for cancelation in your contract. It should also refer to their complaints procedure. You may be able to read those sections yourself.
Reply 6
citizens advice- to know what they have done wrong if anything, then someone needs to look at theur terms and conditions for cancelation in your contract. It should also refer to their complaints procedure. You may be able to read those sections yourself.

I asked where in the terms and conditions it said anything about three reactivating a cancelled contract without permission, and he was unable to give me an answer. He just kept saying "the account is active now" to dodge any questions.

Needless to say, they never called back.
I asked where in the terms and conditions it said anything about three reactivating a cancelled contract without permission, and he was unable to give me an answer. He just kept saying "the account is active now" to dodge any questions.

Needless to say, they never called back.

They will have given you a copy when you took out the contract and they should be on their website.
Thankfully, I've never came across these scenarios before, but I'd definitely say you have a case to get your money back from Three. They shouldn't be billing you behind your back.

Also, to be on the safe side, contact your bank and ask to put a block on any payments going to Three, so they can't bill you even more.
Reply 9
They will have given you a copy when you took out the contract and they should be on their website.

Oh yeah, I've read that. I still can't find anything in it remotely connected to reactivating a cancelled account.
Oh yeah, I've read that. I still can't find anything in it remotely connected to reactivating a cancelled account.

I would just be looking for what wqas required for cancelation and if youve complied my complaint woyld be to them why they didnt carry out what was requested.
Reply 11
I would just be looking for what wqas required for cancelation and if youve complied my complaint woyld be to them why they didnt carry out what was requested.

Yeah. That's what I was banging my head against a brick wall trying to get an answer for. All he would say was "The account is still active."
Then you need to put it in writing and activate their complaints procedure if not happy with their response.
Reply 13
First I'm going to put a block on them with my bank. I don't want them trying to squeeze more money out of me.

Quick Reply

Latest