The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford

Hi guys

I was wondering whether it is even worth my while looking round/applying for Oxford to do English Lit and Spanish.

I'm currently in Year 12, about to sit my AS Levels in Spanish, History, English and French and am predicted As. My GCSEs were ok; I got 3 A*s in French, Bio and Spanish, 7 As in Eng Lit and Lang, Geo, His, Phys, BACS and Chem and a B in Maths. I appreciate that they aren't the best set of results, especially in English, but this year so far I have been doing well in my course, consistently working at an A, with a few essays pushing into the 90% range.

So, I was wondering whether these results are in any way good enough? Please no overly blunt comments, I'm just trying to assess the situation! :P

Thanks in advance
Yes, they're decent enough to give you a shot. How's your spoken Spanish? In my experience, that's where you can shine at interview.
Reply 2
Original post by Greatleysteg
Yes, they're decent enough to give you a shot. How's your spoken Spanish? In my experience, that's where you can shine at interview.

Ok thank you! Yeah my spoken Spanish is pretty good, my only real example of it is my AS mock that I got 46/50 on. Is that ok?
Original post by mgc1999
Ok thank you! Yeah my spoken Spanish is pretty good, my only real example of it is my AS mock that I got 46/50 on. Is that ok?

Yes, that's pretty good. You're confident chatting on the spot about stuff that might not necessarily be your average "tell me about your hobbies/family" etc?

Presumably you're all right on the literature front if you're applying for EFL - you're good to look at a prose extract/short poem (in Spanish) and talk about it?
Reply 4
Original post by Greatleysteg
Yes, that's pretty good. You're confident chatting on the spot about stuff that might not necessarily be your average "tell me about your hobbies/family" etc?

Presumably you're all right on the literature front if you're applying for EFL - you're good to look at a prose extract/short poem (in Spanish) and talk about it?

Yeah the literature is ok in general, but I haven't really looked at much poetry/lit in Spanish, but I do intend to work on that!
Original post by mgc1999
Yeah the literature is ok in general, but I haven't really looked at much poetry/lit in Spanish, but I do intend to work on that!

I study Spanish so let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by such_a_lady
I study Spanish so let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Great thank you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending