The Student Room Group

My thoughts on AS level physics

Overall I think Physics is by far my hardest A level option. When I open an exam paper the mechanics, electricity and Waves just stump me no matter how many times I practise. I am fine with Particles and Materials as they are generally straightforward IMO. But how are you guys finding Physics if you are taking it at A level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Logic4Life
Overall I think Physics is by far my hardest A level option. When I open an exam paper the mechanics, electricity and Waves just stump me no matter how many times I practise. I am fine with Particles and Materials as they are generally straightforward IMO. But how are you guys finding Physics if you are taking it at A level?

I think Physics is the kind of thing you need a natural skill for, unlike some subjucts where you can just memorise everything :tongue:
Haahahaaha it's horrendous
I'm on AQA did my mock the other day and it was so bad I just zoned out

But we still have time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by FatimaHere
Haahahaaha it's horrendous
I'm on AQA did my mock the other day and it was so bad I just zoned out

But we still have time

Posted from TSR Mobile

when are your Alevels. for me its less than 2 weeks.
Original post by djmans
when are your Alevels. for me its less than 2 weeks.

C1 is 18th May
Phys 1 is 24th May
C2 is 25th
Bio 1 26th
Chem 1 27th
Then
Bio 2 is June 7th
S1 8th
Phys 2 9th
Chem 2 10th

Then I'll be freeeeeeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
C1 is 18th May
Phys 1 is 24th May
C2 is 25th
Bio 1 26th
Chem 1 27th
Then
Bio 2 is June 7th
S1 8th
Phys 2 9th
Chem 2 10th

Then I'll be freeeeeeee

Posted from TSR Mobile

S1 on the 15th or something isnt it?
Original post by Logic4Life

Done with Physics AS, did with Edexcel (which is much harder compared to AQA) and achieved an A.

I did some AQA past papers, before i appeared for my Edexcel Physics exam, AQA papers were pretty easy, Edexcel one's are just.. Meh... Glad the grade boundary is quite decent though.

Physics requires critical thinking and you need quite a lot of practice and you need to be good at applying physics in different applications, which comes with practice and your own interest in Physics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by champ_mc99

yea it is 15
Reply 8
C1 is 18th May
Phys 1 is 24th May
C2 is 25th
Bio 1 26th
Chem 1 27th
Then
Bio 2 is June 7th
S1 8th
Phys 2 9th
Chem 2 10th

Then I'll be freeeeeeee

Posted from TSR Mobile

arent you doing unit 3 for the science subjects
Eh in my AS year it depended on the question. Kept getting low A's consistently in my past papers and the same in the real thing.
Original post by djmans
arent you doing unit 3 for the science subjects

Waittttt no ?? Please don't give me a heart attack ahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was one of my easiest three.
People generally find things easiest when they like the subject matter and therefore have the motivation to read well beyond and around the syllabus. Musicians and artists are classic examples where if one has the dexterity and creative ability, the subjects are more of a hobby than work but completely unapproachable and impossible to others without that innate ability.

I believe far more is said about a persons character when they struggle with a subject at length but then still manage to overcome the difficulties to finally succeed. It shows tenacity, determination and resilience - all qualities highly valued by employers and as a philosophy for life in general.

OP. don't fret. Very often, going back repeatedly to basics and first principles will provide new insight into problems you thought were impossible. Try looking at things from a different perspective.

For instance with circuits and electricity, try making analogies with water pressure and the flow of water in pipes etc. This often helps with conceptual understanding.
Original post by uberteknik

For instance with circuits and electricity, try making analogies with water pressure and the flow of water in pipes etc. This often helps with conceptual understanding.

That's actually a really good idea, never thought of that analogy
Original post by langlitz
That's actually a really good idea, never thought of that analogy
It's not new since the word current is directly coined from a river current.

I expand it by using:

Pressure: Voltage;
Flow rate: current;
Mains water pressure: Unlimited power supply of electrons;
Water tank: Capacitor providing limited reservoir of electrons;
Radiator: Resistor dissipating heat;
Thermal difference across inlet/outlet pipes: Potential difference across load;
Original post by champ_mc99

Original post by djmans
yea it is 15

8th of June for AQA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhyAlwaysMe?!
8th of June for AQA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said 08 Jun bc that's when it is for OCR

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do Maths and FMaths and find both far easier than Physics because they feel "safer" - I often don't know what to expect with physics, but maths and fmaths generally have the same questions so I rarely struggle.
Original post by SaadKaleem
Done with Physics AS, did with Edexcel (which is much harder compared to AQA) and achieved an A.

I did some AQA past papers, before i appeared for my Edexcel Physics exam, AQA papers were pretty easy, Edexcel one's are just.. Meh... Glad the grade boundary is quite decent though.

Physics requires critical thinking and you need quite a lot of practice and you need to be good at applying physics in different applications, which comes with practice and your own interest in Physics.

Yeah, the older papers were easy - try doing the specimen papers, they are considerably harder.
Reply 19
Original post by Chickenslayer69
I do Maths and FMaths and find both far easier than Physics because they feel "safer" - I often don't know what to expect with physics, but maths and fmaths generally have the same questions so I rarely struggle.

ME TOO!!

Quick Reply

Latest