The Student Room Group

Cambridge IGCSE English Language (May 3rd 2016) official thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AsiyaAden9879
Question 1: (45 MINUTES) Make sure to respond to all three bullet point equally, You can lose marks if you don't. Make sure to use your own word all the time where possible. To get to band 1 you need to develop your point infer what the writer is saying and develop it in your own way. E.g. If your talking about skiing and they say you have to be in the correct position, talk about safety benefits, say why they say that. If you stay at a hotel and they make you take out the bin bags, say you feel like a servant etc. If chairs are clumped together say that you have no privacy and that you feel that your privacy has been invaded meaning its suffocating.(I'm referring to past papers by the way) Anyway, make sure you refer to 4 points on each bullet point, well developed. Make sure you spag is flawless and be creative! BUT DON'T MAKE ANYTHING UP examiners get angry when students do this.

Question 2 (30 minutes) There are 2 bullet points for each one before you start analysing give an overall impression you won't be in the top band unless you do it. Say the writer gives an overall impression of ( say what is happening in the paragraph) then start analysing, be as creative as possible, refer to literary feature to show off to the examiner even if they don't ask. Basic PEE. Then talk the image created by the word/phrase, DON'T SAY IT CREATES A POWERFUL IMAGERY. Describe the image, paint a picture don't go into too much detail do this for four phrase on each bullet point.

Question 3 (45 minutes) Ngl this question is where I lose marks but I still have some tips because I'm still improving. Go through the passage underline the facts related to the context of the question make sure it's a strong point. Weak one ( I tend to use #sorrynotsorry) are not on the mark scheme despite being valid. I suggest turning them into your own words but not too much that you change the meaning so the 5 marker is easier. Also make sure you don't repeat the same point or a similar point because they're really harsh. If you find more than 15 try to fit them into the line where you feel that the answer not strong enough just to be on the safe safe.For the 5 marker just make sure ALL 15 bullet points are referred to and that it flows well in your OWN words as far as possible. Make sure you spag is on point aswell.
Make sure your timing is good 2 hours seems long but it goes by hella fast. Time flies when your having fun!

Anyways thats it good luck on this exam, HOPE YOU ALL DO WELL!:smile:

In question 1 what do you mean exactly by don't make anything up?
Are any of you also doing the CIE English Literature IGCSE also? Is there a thread for this exam?
Original post by cazzers123
with ours it gets sent off and if it's been harshly done we all get an increase...or vice versa which worries me :s-smilie:

I lost a mark on mine :frown:
Original post by zxcodexz
maximum is a on this paper isn't it? You can't get an a* can you?

someone anyone help me with my question about my gcse on my account
Coursework i absolutely hated, i think i got 36 35 and 36, with a reading mark of 9, do you guys think this is okay?
Original post by kennethdcharles

She means, everything you right has to be like briefy mentioned or infered from the text given... E.g if you are going to include a quote, dont make it up, use the text and get or make a quote from there.
Hi can someone post how to figure out how many marks you will need to get in the Language paper to get the grade you want?
e.g. how do you find the overall coursework mark out of 50, the speaking and listening mark out of 25 and then the overall mark out of 125
Reply 187
Sorry to be a pain, but if I got 36 36 37 8 on my coursework and 30/30 on my speaking and listening, how much will I need to get an A or A*?
Also I didn't know you could get an A* I thought the maximum was an A??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lewis_GCSE
someone anyone help me with my question about my gcse on my account

What's your question?
Original post by Mlb37
Sorry to be a pain, but if I got 36 36 37 8 on my coursework and 30/30 on my speaking and listening, how much will I need to get an A or A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will need very few marks for top grades
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mlb37

Posted from TSR Mobile

40 41 42 in the test
Reply 191
Original post by ellamoon_22
40 41 42 in the test

Thanks!!
Reply 192
Original post by zXcodeXz
You will need very few marks for top grades

Thanks puts my mind at rest a bit!
I still don't understand how to choose the 15 bullet points. I was doing a past paper on self building houses and I had to write 15 bullet points on the disadvantages and advantages of self building houses. A paragraph was talking about how timber frames were really good and energy efficient but it said nothing about using them to self build houses and that was one of the bullet points. There was another paragraph that said it takes around 26 weeks with a contractor to build houses and if you have a full time job and are self building it would take even longer. So I chose that as my bullet point and said it takes longer to build if you have a full time job. But this wasn't in the mark scheme even though it was clearly a disadvantage whereas the timber frame advantage was not clear at all. They were literally just stating timber frames are good and why they're good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In CIE IGCSE English you need 3As (A in coursework, A in S+L, and an A in the exam) to get an A* overall. Last year the grade boundaries for an A in the exam was 31/50, in the S+L it was 26/30, and in the coursework portfolio it was 44/50. If you get an A in each of these components (option B1: 02,04,05) then you will get an A* overall. Here's the link to the June 2015 Grade Boundaries. http://www.cie.org.uk/images/252299-first-language-english-count-in-oral-0522-grade-thresholds-june-2015.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
So far I have:
47/50 - coursework portfolio
27/30 - speaking and listening
47/50 - latest IGCSE Language Mock
Which put me at an A* overall :smile: Obviously, I will need to try and recuperate this mock grade in the actual thing but I am hoping for similar marks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
I still don't understand how to choose the 15 bullet points. I was doing a past paper on self building houses and I had to write 15 bullet points on the disadvantages and advantages of self building houses. A paragraph was talking about how timber frames were really good and energy efficient but it said nothing about using them to self build houses and that was one of the bullet points. There was another paragraph that said it takes around 26 weeks with a contractor to build houses and if you have a full time job and are self building it would take even longer. So I chose that as my bullet point and said it takes longer to build if you have a full time job. But this wasn't in the mark scheme even though it was clearly a disadvantage whereas the timber frame advantage was not clear at all. They were literally just stating timber frames are good and why they're good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the key thing here was to look at the fact it stated "good" in the extract, a subtle hint that it's an advantage. I completely understand what you mean about the disadvantages though! I think the question is worded very weirdly, asking about self-building houses when I think it really meant building houses in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mlb37
Thanks puts my mind at rest a bit!

Yes you will need like less than 20 marks for a pass!
Original post by kennethdcharles

I mean don't say anything that's not in the extract only say what you can infer from the extract. Like if someone says they hate ice cream, you can't also say they hate chocolate as well because it's not in the extract. But you can develop as to why they hate ice cream. I'm sorry if you don't understand, It's quite a hard concept to grasp.
Original post by HouseOfRichman
In CIE IGCSE English you need 3As (A in coursework, A in S+L, and an A in the exam) to get an A* overall. Last year the grade boundaries for an A in the exam was 31/50, in the S+L it was 26/30, and in the coursework portfolio it was 44/50. If you get an A in each of these components (option B1: 02,04,05) then you will get an A* overall. Here's the link to the June 2015 Grade Boundaries. http://www.cie.org.uk/images/252299-first-language-english-count-in-oral-0522-grade-thresholds-june-2015.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if I don't get an A in some of the components but overall my mark hits the grade boundaries for an A* I can't get an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply