The Student Room Group

London Mayoral Election

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've lost some respect for Goldsmith

All he seems to go in about is Khan's religion. Its getting a bit petty now.
Reply 21
Original post by xxvine
I've lost some respect for Goldsmith

All he seems to go in about is Khan's religion. Its getting a bit petty now.

Yep, you can't win an election with just negative comments.
Original post by Aceadria
I'm not denying your statement but as I mentioned in another thread, it's important we don't forget that Sadiq Khan also used religion as a political strategy to gain votes: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/02/a-muslim-mayor-of-london-would-send-message-to-the-haters-says-sadiq-khan

It's reckless to fall into this game of pointing the finger at the other person; the person who is elected Mayor will have an important role to play in leading one of the world's leading cities.

That's true, but it's also different - Khan is trying to say that a Muslim Mayor would be a positive thing, or he's talking about the positives. The Lynton Crosby strategy that has been downloaded to Goldsmith is to use fear and race hate to divide and rule.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That's true, but it's also different - Khan is trying to say that a Muslim Mayor would be a positive thing, or he's talking about the positives. The Lynton Crosby strategy that has been downloaded to Goldsmith is to use fear and race hate to divide and rule.

It doesn't deter from the fact that Khan is still using his religion to gain votes.
Original post by Aceadria
It doesn't deter from the fact that Khan is still using his religion to gain votes.

It's more like he's talking around it to try to outweigh the obvious negatives of a Muslim candidate in the current atmosphere. I know that's a subtle difference, but it's not quite the way you put it, as it's hardly a plus to be a Muslim in an election where 88% of the electorate are not Muslim and a significant number can't stand Muslims.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's more like he's talking around it to try to outweigh the obvious negatives of a Muslim candidate in the current atmosphere. I know that's a subtle difference, but it's not quite the way you put it, as it's hardly a plus to be a Muslim in an election where 88% of the electorate are not Muslim and a significant number can't stand Muslims.

I see your point but I'm basing this on the fact that Khan used this comment quite early on in his campaign: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/02/a-muslim-mayor-of-london-would-send-message-to-the-haters-says-sadiq-khan

The accusations against Khan aren't necessarily recent, but the leaflets, which caused the uproar are much more recent.

My point is simple: it's foolish to assume that Khan has not used his minority status and religion as a means to gain votes; it is not simply in reaction to a 'Tory conspiracy'.
@Frank Underwood I've decided I'm voting for Lee Harris and Sophie Walker, neither of which are options on the poll, cheers.
Reply 27
This is a pointless election. Labour will win London Mayoral elections because Majority of London is made up of non-English persons or immigrants. And especially when you count the large Muslim population they will naturally gravitate to a Labour candidate. London is lost to Labour because they imported the vote
Reply 28
Original post by Omen96
This is a pointless election. Labour will win London Mayoral elections because Majority of London is made up of non-English persons or immigrants. And especially when you count the large Muslim population they will naturally gravitate to a Labour candidate. London is lost to Labour because they imported the vote

Not really
Your just saying that because it's not the result you want
Reply 29
Original post by xxvine
Not really
Your just saying that because it's not the result you want

Lol I'm not even voting in this election and I wouldn't if the playing field was different. London Mayor is a job which is not even two decades old and has very little political influence nor any influence considering London is owned by the elite. Whether it's Khan or Goldsmith the housing crisis will still exist, high rent will still exist, travel problems will still exist and so on. You are a blind bat if you think things will change Lmao.

And I am right by the way. >50% is immigrant born or an immigrant and Labour in all polls attract the immigrant vote, plus are very popular in immigrant communities so I say again Labour will be attractive to immigrants. But you continue pretending that not the case :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Zac Goldsmith has been using Sadiq Khan's apparent association with terrorists (all ********) in order to gain votes and has no real agenda. He's undermined democracy in that sense.

Sadiq Khan has undoubtedly received support as a result but this was down to how Zac Goldsmith's plan on a religious attack failed tremendously.
Original post by Omen96
Lol I'm not even voting in this election and I wouldn't if the playing field was different. London Mayor is a job which is not even two decades old and has very little political influence nor any influence considering London is owned by the elite. Whether it's Khan or Goldsmith the housing crisis will still exist, high rent will still exist, travel problems will still exist and so on. You are a blind bat if you think things will change Lmao.

And I am right by the way. >50% is immigrant born or an immigrant and Labour in all polls attract the immigrant vote, plus are very popular in immigrant communities so I say again Labour will be attractive to immigrants. But you continue pretending that not the case :wink:

your assumption is 'I know, lets vote for a fellow immigrant!'. That isnt the only factor nor is it a game changer for voters. If Zac Goldsmith didnt launch a religious attack on Khan and his policies were better then he would have had a greater chance.
Original post by Youngmetro
your assumption is 'I know, lets vote for a fellow immigrant!'. That isnt the only factor nor is it a game changer for voters. If Zac Goldsmith didnt launch a religious attack on Khan and his policies were better then he would have had a greater chance.

I'm pretty conservative, so I'll be voting tory in the assembly elections, but for the mayoral election, I just can't bring myself to vote Zac after the campaign he has fought. I'm instead voting CISTA and WE as a protest.
Original post by Lime-man
I'm pretty conservative, so I'll be voting tory in the assembly elections, but for the mayoral election, I just can't bring myself to vote Zac after the campaign he has fought. I'm instead voting CISTA and WE as a protest.

No wayyy :biggrin::biggrin:

CISTA ftw lmaooo

in fairness london mayors have little power so CISTA will become one of the first to do something very meaningful
Sadiq Khan all the way!

He seems genuine and honest. Especially because of the fact that hes not willing to make promises he can't keep.

LOL, if CISTA actually stood a chance maybe I'd vote for them. Though in reality, the Green Party has a greater chance of winning than CISTA XD
Reply 35

It's just a coincidence then that all high immigrant areas are Labour run and most immigrants vote for Labour...right, cheers to coincidence
No wayyy :biggrin::biggrin:

CISTA ftw lmaooo

in fairness london mayors have little power so CISTA will become one of the first to do something very meaningful

Their candidate is actually a really decent chap as well, grew up in south Africa fighting apartheid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sazx12
Sadiq Khan all the way!

He seems genuine and honest. Especially because of the fact that hes not willing to make promises he can't keep.

LOL, if CISTA actually stood a chance maybe I'd vote for them. Though in reality, the Green Party has a greater chance of winning than CISTA XD

It doesnt matter about tactical voting, i vote for what i believe in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Omen96
It's just a coincidence then that all high immigrant areas are Labour run and most immigrants vote for Labour...right, cheers to coincidence

Well immigrants are just generally steered towards the left wing agenda. Besides, all people have an equal vote so what is the issue?
Reply 39
Well immigrants are just generally steered towards the left wing agenda. Besides, all people have an equal vote so what is the issue?

When did I say there was an issue? Please point that out

Quick Reply