The Student Room Group

What is the Best Way to Tackle Terrorism?

Scroll to see replies

I think the people who are in favour of re-integrating ex terrorists back into society are the dumbest set of people on Earth
Original post by toblerone eater
What does stop "wilfully ignoring" tyrants mean? What would you have us do? Sanctions, military intervention, tell them off for being naughty?

Stop getting into bed with them... both bibi and salman

What military intervention has no strategy? The war on the IS is a broad coalition of regional powers and outside forces, and since the intervention began the IS have lost 40% of the territory they held in Iraq and 20% in Syria (and have lost almost 30,000 men); so I'd say that that is going rather well.

well, as per my knowledge - this has happened because their money/oil and reserouces have been targeted - instead of carpet bombing raqqa...

or as Bush says... "go in there, fight both sides"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by chemting

well, as per my knowledge - this has happened because their money/oil and reserouces have been targeted - instead of carpet bombing raqqa...

:yep:

Also, I was talking more generally about the things we engage in which fuels the growth of terrorism in the middle east.

It is undeniable that the war on Iraq created the conditions for ISIS to spawn; it is also clear that tyranny and terrorism perpetuate the existence of each other; and the arms we sell do end up in the hands of terrorists.

If we keep repeating the same patterns of 'solving' the issue then we are going to end up with the same outcome- more extremism, more terrorism, more global unrest.
REFORM SAUDI ARABIA'S MINISTRY OF EDUCATION SO THAT IT STOPS EXPORTING EDUCATION MATERIAL THAT SUPPORTS THE KILLING OF NON-MUSLIM PEOPLE.

job done!
Original post by chemting

i am a bit conflicted on this. i do think that we should not be supplying states with military equipment with possible complicity in war crimes, nor should we be rewarding states that act contrary to international law or are dictatorships with a diplomatic alliance. however, the reverse of this is degrading our sphere our influence; if we stop supplying saudi/israel with arms russia/china will instead, and we will just lose an ally whose behaviour we can at least somewhat influence

But I don't see what Israel has to do with tackling terrorism, if I'm honest.

well, as per my knowledge - this has happened because their money/oil and resources have been targeted - instead of carpet bombing raqqa...

I don't really get the relevance of this? I was responding to EW's assertion that the intervention lacks a strategy, this can be rejected by virtue of the success of the intervention to date.
The best way to stop fire is fire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
The best way to stop fire is fire.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:colonhash:
Original post by Ethereal World
Its undeniable that the war on Iraq created the conditions for ISIS to spawn;.

Nonsense. The minority Sunni population that was not Kurdish refused to accept living under a majority Shia population.

The blame for this mess is squarely on:
the sunni minority for rebeling against the democratic wishes of the people of iraq.
i am a bit conflicted on this. i do think that we should not be supplying states with military equipment with possible complicity in war crimes, nor should we be rewarding states that act contrary to international law or are dictatorships with a diplomatic alliance. however, the reverse of this is degrading our sphere our influence; if we stop supplying saudi/israel with arms russia/china will instead, and we will just lose an ally whose behaviour we can at least somewhat influence

Good point. Better the enemy you know. Maybe there should be some sort of incentive (maybe financial) to not do war-crimes. I don't think sanctions are the answer, it went horribly wrong in Iran (and Iraq) but I think there should be more international pressure on KSA.

Spoiler

There is no easy solution ofc.
I don't really get the relevance of this? I was responding to EW's assertion that the intervention lacks a strategy, this can be rejected by virtue of the success of the intervention to date.

well I would call Bush's rhetoric as "intervention without a strategy"... and even Hillary's four step "plan" to defeat ISIS...

There seems to be a lot of "we gonna be strongman!" rhetoric going on - mainly in the US...

This doesn't help anyone - if anything they give the rest of the world a headache...

EDIT: that's what EW meant by "intervention without strategy" ... I think
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stargirl63
Send all terrorists, radicalists and anyone else who supports terror to the Middle East, build a big wall / cage / electric fencing (anything to keep them from escaping) around them and let them just kill each other. Sorted within a couple of years and saves us a bunch of money.

The rest of us can actually live in peace.

So you'd put a bunch of fanatics disillusioned with western scoiety, with the same pro Islamic ideas, together in direct proximity with each other? In an artificial hell of all places?
Can you see why this might be a problem?
Promotion of secularism has to be a major part of it.
Original post by Ethereal World
-Stop endorsing tyrants or wilfully ignoring them

-Stop ill-thought out military intervention with no strategy

And yet, you probably count Iraq as an ill-thought out intervention, which kind of contradicts your first point. :moon:

It's more sensible to deal with the root of the problem through foreign policy than the symptom through domestic because so long as ISIS are doing their thing people within our society can be targets for radicalisation.

If people have not got a successful terrorist organisation to join which has the money and expertise to target them, then the extent to which homegrown radicalisation is a problem will diminish.

This whole business of 'radicalisation' seems to me a product of the nonsense relativism in which people love to indulge these days. People don't go from being angels to joining the IS because they watched a 30-second propaganda video. It's best that we let the fifth columners go join their precious Islamic state and let the RAF take care of them from there.
(edited 7 years ago)
What military intervention has no strategy? The war on the IS is a broad coalition of regional powers and outside forces, and since the intervention began the IS have lost 40% of the territory they held in Iraq and 20% in Syria (and have lost almost 30,000 men); so I'd say that that is going rather well.

Also millions of displaced people, hundreds of thousands of killed civilians. Not going too well by those measures, hmm?
Original post by Multiculturalism
Also millions of displaced people, hundreds of thousands of killed civilians. Not going too well by those measures, hmm?

You seem to be forgetting that IS and other groups are kidnapping, raping and murdering hundreds of thousands of civilians. What the war on terrorism has done is nothing compared to the acts of terrorism itself.
Original post by Multiculturalism

Would you rather have ISIS in control?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you rather have ISIS in control?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would it result in less displaced people, hundreds of thousands of people being killed?
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Would it result in less displaced people, hundreds of thousands of people being killed?

Probably not, but I'm no expert. My guess is that if left unchallenged they would gain strength and go on to kill even more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably not, but I'm no expert. My guess is that if left unchallenged they would gain strength and go on to kill even more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it would result in less displaced people and probably less people being killed.

People seek stability, whether it is at the hands of a democratic state, or under a despotic regime.

Compare the numbers of people killed under the reign of Saddam, with those killed in the ensuring intervention and invasion.

Compare the numbers of people killed under Bashar Al Assad's continuing reign, with those killed after 2011.

Even though they may be tyrants, dictators are also extremely intelligent and probably more in tune with what the people are thinking than perhaps our own leaders are to us, because their reign depends on it.

Yes, they commit gruesome and perpetrate horrendous acts, but stability will always win over instability for any person, whether they are in a democratic state, or living under a despotic regime.
Original post by BhagwanNoBhool
So you'd put a bunch of fanatics disillusioned with western scoiety, with the same pro Islamic ideas, together in direct proximity with each other? In an artificial hell of all places?
Can you see why this might be a problem?

If they can't escape and can't contact the outside world with youtube threats etc then I don't see the problem, they would be doing our job for us and extinguishing themselves due to their own evil.

The problem would be when they escape, yes, but then we would really be in the same position we are now.
Original post by CallumXB
You're stopping them from voting what we truly believe, we learned biased questionnaires in GCSE statistics lessons. Everyone knows this is a biased survey.

This guys polls are always biased.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply