The Student Room Group

How important is university prestige?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
You used one isolated example of a god knows where internship to prove your point when it's pretty widely known that Warwick kicks ass for finance placement.. Even the recruiters at banks in the US acknowledged that a lot of their top transfers to the US offices are Warwick alumni.

Look at any top tier MBA programme as well and you will see Warwick grads represented. It's patently false to say the university has no worldwide rep - if that were the case why do the most competitive courses there have a ratio of c.50%+ international students?

These generalisations on TSR are so ridiculous, it just amazes me what people come out with sometimes.

There are no competitive (undergrad) courses at Warwick, except Medicine.
This microscopic ranking of top unis annoys me, the difference between them is so tiny it's meaningless unless you're a serious snob. ALTHOUGH it's worth noting that student bodies at the highest ranked unis do tend to be more full of people who are basically only there because their parents have a lot of money (and you learn that there is no God), it's infuriating because many of them don't deserve to be there, and would not be there had they come from less rich backgrounds and went to ordinary schools.

I don't understand the fuss about Warwick either. Why Warwick? Such an overrated university that's only about 50 years old. I hope it bubbles down in the league tables over time because that university annoys me. I swear it's had a recent influx of snobbish people going there who think it's a serious alternative to Oxbridge.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anonwinner

Oh yeah, the students who are set to achieve multiple A*s are definitely not in a competitive applicant pool at all, definitely.

This isn't America we don't just measure competitiveness based on acceptance rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wisefire
Could I randomly ask anyone here what they think of a Psychology degree from Warwick? Would I have a decent future through Warwick? Would I be doing the subject at a good university?

Yes, but it's not among the most prestigious UK universities in my opinion

Look at the average UCAS tariff to see the calibre of students, acceptance rates don't mean ****, not to mention every maths related course there requires a good STEP grade which only the smartest can achieve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
This microscopic ranking of top unis annoys me, the difference between them is so tiny it's meaningless unless you're a serious snob. Generally more prestigious a university, the more you will find people who are basically only there because their parents have a lot of money (and you learn there is no God).

I don't understand the fuss about Warwick either. Why Warwick? Such an overrated university that's only about 50 years old. I hope it bubbles down in the league tables over time because that university annoys me for some reason. I swear it's had a recent influx of snobbish people going there who think it's a serious alternative to Oxbridge.

Warwick is never going to be on the level of Oxbridge and LSE. Maybe 50+ years down the road it will get close, but no one has time for that atm lol.
Original post by Killer910
Look at the average UCAS tariff to see the calibre of students, acceptance rates don't mean ****, not to mention every maths related course there requires a good STEP grade which only the smartest can achieve.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na you can get into warwick maths without step now. If you just work reasonably hard at your a levels, but fail STEP you can do warwick maths since they give a standard offer to everyone who applies. My mate at my old school has on offer for warwick maths but got rejected from Imperial because he doesn't want to do STEP.
(edited 7 years ago)
These generalisations on TSR are so ridiculous, it just amazes me what people come out with sometimes.

For some reason I specifically remember the first post I ever read on TSR that said every degree except Medicine was pointless.

How the hell do they expect the world to carry on functioning if nobody studies anything else?
Original post by Foxab77
Warwick is never going to be on the level of Oxbridge and LSE. Maybe 50+ years down the road it will get close, but no one has time for that atm lol.

Oxbridge is leaps and bounds ahead of LSE, LSE is much closer to Warwick than to Oxbridge. LSE is not even as good as Imperial, Imperial has students of higher calibre since they do much harder subjects.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Foxab77
Na you can get into warwick maths without step now. If you just work reasonably hard at your a levels, but fail STEP you can do warwick maths since they give a standard offer to everyone who applies. My mate at my old school has on offer for warwick maths but got rejected from Imperial because he doesn't want to do STEP.

I a lot of my mates at Imperial didn't meet their Grade 1 STEP requirement at Warwick and were rejected, it all depends what kind of offer Warwick give you.
Original post by MathsMaster45
I a lot of my mates at Imperial didn't meet their Grade 1 STEP requirement at Warwick and were rejected, it all depends what kind of offer Warwick give you.

They only changed the system this cycle. So from now on, EVERYONE gets the standard offer with option of not doing STEP at all. My personal tutor told me they don't ever vary the offer for anyone.
Original post by Foxab77
They only changed the system this cycle. So from now on, EVERYONE gets the standard offer with option of not doing STEP at all. My personal tutor told me they don't ever vary the offer for anyone.

On UCAS It still says offers will normally specify achievement in STEP.
On UCAS It still says offers will normally specify achievement in STEP.

yeah they haven't updated it there. look at warwick's new entry requirements on their actual website.
Could I randomly ask anyone here what they think of a Psychology degree from Warwick? Would I have a decent future through Warwick? Would I be doing the subject at a good university?

Make the most of your time there and you'll be fine.

Unlike some people who think switching unis is going to improve an otherwise poor application attempt at getting into internship programmes.. *hint* fox *hint*.
Oxbridge is leaps and bounds ahead of LSE, LSE is much closer to Warwick than to Oxbridge. LSE is not even as good as Imperial, Imperial has students of higher calibre since they do much harder subjects.

It's easier to get high UMS in Maths/Science A Levels than humanities subjects, so obviously Imperial students will have higher UCAS points than LSE students. This doesn't necessarily mean they are of higher calibre.

LSE has the highest graduate salary in the country. 34 past or present heads of state and 18 Nobel laureates studied/taught at LSE. This profile is a lot more similar to Oxbridge than it is to Warwick.
Make the most of your time there and you'll be fine.

Unlike some people who think switching unis is going to improve an otherwise poor application attempt at getting into internship programmes.. *hint* fox *hint*.

lol i already did a spring week mate. Getting fasttracked for summer internship (fingers crossed), and still graduating in 2018 :wink:
It's easier to get high UMS in Maths/Science A Levels than humanities subjects, so obviously Imperial students will have higher UCAS points than LSE students. This doesn't necessarily mean they are of higher calibre.

LSE has the highest graduate salary in the country. 34 past or present heads of state and 18 Nobel laureates studied/taught at LSE. This profile is a lot more similar to Oxbridge than it is to Warwick.

I was talking in terms of reputation, the difference between LSE and Warwick is not as big as between Oxbridge and LSE, UCL has 29 Nobel prizes, made father of nations of 6 countries and has invented a lot of things including the first telephone and natural occurring noble gases etc (For more info check Wikipedia) so I would say UCLs profile is even more comparable to Oxbridge if you want to use this as a measure.

And LSE has the highest graduate salary because everyone there has his/her hopes on finance, while people at Oxbridge/Imperial/Warwick/UCL have a diverse range of career destinations but if you want to go into finance being at LSE is not going to give you any advantage over the other renowned universities.

Also it is not easier to get higher UMS in Maths/Sciences that's completely subjective and this year even Durham and St Andrews had higher average UCAS tariff than LSE.
(edited 7 years ago)
It depends on what you want to do and, to an extent, on who happens to be looking at your application.

I have friends who are finance managers (etc.) and hire people for their teams all the time. Broadly, they will care if you went to a top university, and would prefer that you attended one they had at least heard of (and studied an academic degree), but won't disregard applications from people who were high achievers at lesser known institutions.

The fact you went to a certain university will sometimes open doors for you, but it will have a very limited effect on your ability to actually secure those positions. Wherever you go, it is important to make use of all of the opportunities available to you to build skills. Volunteer, learn Ruby, take a course in Sage, work in the summers etc..
I was talking in terms of reputation, the difference between LSE and Warwick is not as big as between Oxbridge and LSE, UCL has 29 Nobel prizes, made father of nations of 6 countries and has invented a lot of things including the first telephone and natural occurring noble gases etc (For more info check Wikipedia) so I would say UCLs profile is even more comparable to Oxbridge if you want to use this as a measure.

And LSE has the highest graduate salary because everyone there has his/her hopes on finance, while people at Oxbridge/Imperial/Warwick/UCL have a diverse range of career destinations but if you want to go into finance being at LSE is not going to give you any advantage over the other renowned universities.

Also it is not easier to get higher UMS in Maths/Sciences that's completely subjective and this year even Durham and St Andrews had higher average UCAS tariff than LSE.

UCL has 3x more students than LSE and is 70 years older.

Regardless, I would group LSE, ICL, and UCL closer to Oxbridge than to Warwick.

Psychology is one of Warwicks least renowned courses. It's not bad, but in comparison to econ or maths it's nothing special. University is what you make of it though, don't let me put you off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending