The Student Room Group

40 MPs call for Livingstone to be suspended

https://www.buzzfeed.com/sirajdatoo/labour-mps-call-on-ken-livingstone-to-be-suspended-from-the?utm_term=.fljkRJ0R8#.ucLLQq0Qd

And in response, Corbyn calls John Mann into his office for a *******ing for his comments against Livingstone (see the other thread about Livingstone being destroyed by Andrew Neil for his anti-semitism). Clearly Corbyn has his priorities straight.

Scroll to see replies

Thank god. The man is completely odious.
Reply 3
Original post by Incongruous
Thank god. The man is completely odious.

I am not a fan either
Livingstone said nothing wrong. He stated facts and John Mann had an emotional breakdown and was squealing about "Nazi apologism". The man has no spine and had his 15 mins of fame.

Livingstone will come back in a couple of weeks, after the Twitterati's calm down a little and check what he actually said. In a way, that might be bad for the Zionists and might even make people look at the Holocaust, and the events preceding up to it in a different light.

Sadiq Khan - I expect this from him, because he has an election to win. He can support his friends later.
Reply 5
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Sadiq Khan - I expect this from him, because he has an election to win. He can support his friends later.

Yet in the other thread you said that "I don't think the British electorate actually cares about anti-Semitism."
This might be the best thing ever to happen.

Hilarious.
Original post by Ascend
Yet in the other thread you said that "I don't think the British electorate actually cares about anti-Semitism."

They don't but until the record can be set straight, it's better to err on the side of caution.

A substantial bloc of Sadiq's vote is probably coming from London's Jewry, and liberals and his campaign promises of combating hatred is an example of this.

Too close to the election to do anything other than call for his suspension.
Sadiq Khan is an ISIS sympathiser.

Vote Goldsmith!
Yeah but what did he actually say that was factually wrong? It's been jumped on by opportunists as a way of ousting him, relying on the stupidity of Labour voters not to actually question whether his comments were true or not and follow the Tories blindly will pretending to be in opposition.
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Yeah but what did he actually say that was factually wrong?

You don't think there's anything wrong with claiming Hitler was a Zionist?
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse

Hitler was a supporter (albeit, an unwitting one) of Zionist principles in 1933.

Hitler supported the Havaara Agreement, an agreement which called for the relocation of German Jews to Palestine, with the intention that they would establish and populate any future Israeli/Jewish state. (i.e: Zionism).
(edited 7 years ago)
Can't see a way back for him. He's made a big, big mistake.

I am not an anti-Semite in any way but I feel this has been blown out of proportion. I don't know if the party has a problem with antisemitism, but the fact of the matter is that the consensus is "yes" and the main body of the party will jump on anything that could remotely be construed as such to give the impression that it is being stamped out.

Not really, since it is factually correct. The reasons might have been to expel the Jews from Europe rather than humanitarian but it is not at all incorrect to say that he was a supporter of Zionism.

I can't believe you're making me defend a member of the Labour Party, but can we look at the facts?

I don't give a **** who is offended. 'Wrong' means incorrect. It seems that quite a few people think this is an accurate statement. Can you explain why they're wrong?
Not really, since it is factually correct. The reasons might have been to expel the Jews from Europe rather than humanitarian but it is not at all incorrect to say that he was a supporter of Zionism.

I think it is misleading to say the least. I think 'Zionism' means in itself support for the re-establishment of the Jewish community in Palestine for their well-being. Hitler clearly didn't give a toss about that.

Whether those outraged have bothered to research the matter is another thing though.

So if he was such a supporter of Zionism, why did he go ahead and kill the Jews in Europe rather than send them off to Israel/Palestine?

It's also laughable how anti-semites bring up the Haavara Agreement as if it signifies anything about the modern state of Israel
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I can't believe you're making me defend a member of the Labour Party, but can we look at the facts?

What fact in particular do you want to look at? The floor is yours
So if he was such a supporter of Zionism, why did he go ahead and kill the Jews in Europe rather than send them off to Israel/Palestine?

It's also laughable how anti-semites bring up the Haavara Agreement as if it signifies anything about the modern state of Israel

I'm not an anti-Semite, in terms of religious belief I would probably convert to Judaism before any of the others. I am however, interested in history, so let's leave the name calling behind and take a look at what we know.

We know that the concentration camps (at least the death ones) did not open until the war, and that previously several attempts were made to expel Jews such as the Madagascar plan and the civil service laws, violence on the street existed, Jews were considered supporters of internationalism, pacifism and democracy, the three things the Nazis had scorn for.

In other words displacement policies were tried before extermination ones.

I think in honesty he could not care less where the Jews went as long as they were not in Europe, the orders to exterminate only came later and mainly due to pressure in the East to defeat the Soviets. Defeating the Soviets required as much man power as possible which meant killing and starving non-citizens to supply food and labour for German soldiers.
(edited 7 years ago)
What fact in particular do you want to look at? The floor is yours

Oh, I'm not interested in any of this. It was more a general point about people jumping to conclusions because of how offended one side seems to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending