The Student Room Group

Can i get braces on the NHS for free at 18?

I am not sure if i am posting this in the right place so forgive me if i am not.

I want to know whether i can get braces for free as i am 18 but in full-time education. I turned 18 about 2 months ago(February):redface:

I need braces because i have an open bite-my front and bottom teeth do not close.:frown: The gap is not that wide, but when i speak, you can see that there is something wrong with my teeth and this causes me to be self-concious sometimes.

I know i should have gotten braces a lot earlier as most people get them at the age of 14/15 but my parents never really took my open bite seriously and did not really think about taking me to the dentist on a regular basis to discuss about my teeth treatment.:redface:

Its really sad tbh, not many people know their rights which is bad as everybody should be entitled to free treatment imo.

Edit: What can i do? is my option only paying or are there any exepmtions?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Blackstarr
I am not sure if i am posting this in the right place so forgive me if i am not.

I want to know whether i can get braces for free as i am 18 but in full-time education. I turned 18 about 2 months ago(February):redface:

I need braces because i have an open bite-my front and bottom teeth do not close.:frown: The gap is not that wide, but when i speak, you can see that there is something wrong with my teeth and this causes me to be self-concious sometimes.

I know i should have gotten braces a lot earlier as most people get them at the age of 14/15 but my parents never really took my open bite seriously and did not really think about taking me to the dentist on a regular basis to discuss about my teeth treatment.:redface:

Its really sad tbh, not many people know their rights which is bad as everybody should be entitled to free treatment imo.

Edit: What can i do? is my option only paying or are there any exepmtions?

This was in wales so could be different, but i was refused them at 18 as you had to have a referral before 17 to qualify for funding. The dentist said they could do it for a grand but that was the best offer so i didnt bother in the end.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
This was in wales so could be different, but i was refused them at 18 as you had to have a referral before 17 to qualify for funding. The dentist said they could do it for a grand but that was the best offer so i didnt bother in the end.

Ohh:frown:

Thanks for the reply.
Reply 3

Out of interest, why did you not get them earlier?

And, say if your parents are on some sort of benefits, could you get them done?
Original post by Blackstarr
Out of interest, why did you not get them earlier?

And, say if your parents are on some sort of benefits, could you get them done?

I had been on an NHS dentist waiting list for ages (like 6months) before that and frankly I didn't care that my teeth don't look perfect really.

Once you are an adult it goes off you not your parents and braces are mostly considered a cosmetic treatment as they aren't an essential thing so I don't think they come under the NHS treatment as an adult. In which case you might want to look into private payment plans or something to get them.
Ah I found the NHS page, if it's seen as something you need to be able to eat comfortably it's a band 3 charge (£220) but if they decide it's a cosmetic thing then they won't do it on the NHS.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/dentalhealth/Pages/braces.aspx
Reply 6
I had been on an NHS dentist waiting list for ages (like 6months) before that and frankly I didn't care that my teeth don't look perfect really.

Once you are an adult it goes off you not your parents and braces are mostly considered a cosmetic treatment as they aren't an essential thing so I don't think they come under the NHS treatment as an adult. In which case you might want to look into private payment plans or something to get them.

Okay cool.

Quick Reply

Latest