The Student Room Group

iGCSE English Language 0522 - How many marks do I need for an A or a B?

For the coursework, I achieved 41/50, and on the speaking and listening I got 20/30

I'm going to do the 0522 exam on 3rd May 2016, and I'm wondering how many marks I need on the reading paper to get an A or a B overall. Would someone be kind enough to approximately or precisely tell me how many marks I need? On question 1 practice papers I'm getting around 16/20, question 2 around 6/10 and question 3 around 16/20.

:smile: Good luck :smile: we are doing the same one.
Reply 2
Nice :smile:

They have really made question 3 easy. It takes around 15 minutes to get the 15 points which is 15 marks, but 30 minutes to get 5 marks :biggrin:

Good luck :wink:

Original post by ShahbazKHAN
:smile: Good luck :smile: we are doing the same one.
Reply 3
i'm not sure about the grades.. but to maximise your point scoring
1. Do question 3a first (large proportion of marks)
2. Do question 1(also 15 marks +5 available for writing)
3. Then complete question 2 (10 marks available -so 2nd highest amount of marks you can score)
4. Finally complete 3b (5 marks for a lot of writing can go right at the end if you don't have enough time).
Reply 4
Original post by k.m.b
i'm not sure about the grades.. but to maximise your point scoring
1. Do question 3a first (large proportion of marks)
2. Do question 1(also 15 marks +5 available for writing)
3. Then complete question 2 (10 marks available -so 2nd highest amount of marks you can score)
4. Finally complete 3b (5 marks for a lot of writing can go right at the end if you don't have enough time).

That's a good technique, but not for me. I tried doing exactly that, but I somehow concentrate better at doing the first question at the beginning, then 3a, then question 2, then 3b. However, I really do prefer your technique :u:
Reply 5
Original post by Faizanasif
That's a good technique, but not for me. I tried doing exactly that, but I somehow concentrate better at doing the first question at the beginning, then 3a, then question 2, then 3b. However, I really do prefer your technique :u:

So you're saying you change texts in between answering the questions? If I'm aware, the passage for 3a is different to the passage in Q1. sounds complicated...
Reply 6
Original post by k.m.b
So you're saying you change texts in between answering the questions? If I'm aware, the passage for 3a is different to the passage in Q1. sounds complicated...

After question 1, the first passage is practically done. Question 2 just focuses on a specific shortish paragraph anyway
Hi, does anyone know how many marks you need for an A in the reading paper.
Reply 8
Goodluck bruh same here i'd say its about 30 for a B because I got 28 and I got a C.
I don't like the way the paper is marked at all and the grade boundaries are so tight as well...
Reply 9
Original post by 0lut0
Goodluck bruh same here i'd say its about 30 for a B because I got 28 and I got a C.
I don't like the way the paper is marked at all and the grade boundaries are so tight as well...

Ikr! I thought it was just me; the grade boundaries are so damn tight! I'm thinking I need a mid C for a B, so judging by what I'm getting from practice papers, I could get an A :h:
Original post by Sheikhbrumie99
Hi, does anyone know how many marks you need for an A in the reading paper.

I'm getting told its 38 to get an A, but don't assume that!
For the coursework, I achieved 41/50, and on the speaking and listening I got 20/30

I'm going to do the 0522 exam on 3rd May 2016, and I'm wondering how many marks I need on the reading paper to get an A or a B overall. Would someone be kind enough to approximately or precisely tell me how many marks I need? On question 1 practice papers I'm getting around 16/20, question 2 around 6/10 and question 3 around 16/20.

No-one can answer your question - even the examiners don't know the answer yet.

Your coursework marks are unmoderated so you can't be sure of them either - forget about grade boundaries and focus on getting as many marks as you can.
Original post by Muttley79
No-one can answer your question - even the examiners don't know the answer yet.

Your coursework marks are unmoderated so you can't be sure of them either - forget about grade boundaries and focus on getting as many marks as you can.

I got told that the exam board is unlikely to even moderate the coursework. The highest they would do is to send them a sample and moderate that. I wasn't asking for the precise mark only, I was accepting approximation. But obviously, I'll do the best I can! :u:

Hi mate :smile:

I got 44/50 in coursework and 24/30 and speaking and listening, but the exam board changes the maximum mark of 30 to 25 to get a raw mark, so I got 19/25 for speaking and listening. That's 63 in total.

my teacher said I needed 96 marks for an A, meaning 33 is an A in the exam, so 23 is a B and 43 is an A*!
4Days TO GO :wink: GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ! Get at least one more PAST paper done
I got told that the exam board is unlikely to even moderate the coursework. The highest they would do is to send them a sample and moderate that. I wasn't asking for the precise mark only, I was accepting approximation. But obviously, I'll do the best I can! :u:

Every school gets their coursework moderated - if the sample marks don't agree then the whole lot are downgraded.

Quick Reply

Latest