The Student Room Group

Why do white companies demand their employees write down their ethnic origin group?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AndrewSCO
To be fair, he didn't say that non-white people were less able than white people

What did he say?
Original post by HOLA255
What did he say?

He said if a company have quotas to fill and out of the best candidates that applied there weren't enough ethnicities/females/whatevers then they may need to decline a white person who is slightly better than a non-white person to meet the quotas.

He didn't say all white people are better. Just that out of those who applied, which in Britain will be more white people than non-white statistically, there may be more white people who happen to have applied than meet whatever quota they have. And also not to say everyone who initially was wanted were all white either. Maybe the top 10 people were all non-white, there just weren't enough good ones who happened to apply with the best qualifications
Reply 22
He said if a company have quotas to fill and out of the best candidates that applied there weren't enough ethnicities/females/whatevers then they may need to decline a white person who is slightly better than a non-white person to meet the quotas.

He didn't say all white people are better. Just that out of those who applied, which in Britain will be more white people than non-white statistically, there may be more white people who happen to have applied than meet whatever quota they have. And also not to say everyone who initially was wanted were all white either. Maybe the top 10 people were all non-white, there just weren't enough good ones who happened to apply with the best qualifications

Where are these quotas and for what companies?
They don't all have the race quota policies. Is it a law? What Statute reference is it?
Its to monitor their equality policies, which help them meet their legal obligations. You dont have to complete the forms if you dont wish.
As Claire pointed out previously.
Even if they don't have official quotas, if a company is seen to have 95% male, white employers they'll get attacked for it. I don't know why you're being defensive over this, no one has said anything insulting or anything.

Many companies post their diversity stats in their annual reports or something similar. It's so they know their employee stats, can assess their hiring process and if anyone accuses them or asks them they have the numbers to back it up. I seriously doubt it's to avoid giving them the job, as mentioned, it probably gets non-white people more jobs.

I'm Scottish and went to an English uni, one of the most competitive. I was told on the open day that they had a quota of rest of the UK students they had to accept, and that this would probably help my application.
Reply 25

This, repped. Too bad his ''1st Class Degree'' didn't teach him basic reasoning and how not to be a perpetual victim.
**** sake are you still complaning about this?
wtf is a "white" company? I wasn't aware companies had colours...
Considering his frist class degree, then I'm surprised he cant do some basic research.
OP it works in your favour by trying to ensure fairness.
Anyone else not answer these questions?

It feels a little bit too close to supporting quota ideas to me.
Original post by HOLA255
Why do white companies demand their employees write down their ethnic origin group and what their orientation is. What are they going to do with that information?

The short answer is that they don't.

On application forms there might be a section where you can specify your ethnicity (as well as gender, sexual orientation and religion), but this is almost always optional.

For jobs where you apply via CV and cover letter, LinkedIn, or get referred to (which are probably far more common than the above), you'll probably never need to write down your ethnicity.
Maybe for indirect discrimination.
Reply 32
Original post by 999tigger
Considering his frist class degree, then I'm surprised he cant do some basic research.
OP it works in your favour by trying to ensure fairness.

You're the ones that are claiming these ideas. I want to know your sources.
I don't even know what search engines you are using? They each yield different search results.
Are your sources from the internet, not all the world's knowledge is contained within the Internet or Google.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HOLA255
You're the ones that are claiming these ideas. I want to know your sources.
I don't even know what search engines you are using? They each yield different search results.
Are your sources from the internet, not all the world's knowledge is contained within the Internet or Google.

Its non compulsory. you dont have to fill it in if you dont want to, so they dont demand.

The source in peoples general understanding about disctimination and people making claims under discrimination laws. These have all been consolidated into the Equality Act 2010. If employers dont comply then an employee or applicant can bring a case for discrimination for which the employer cand be made to pay damages.

Employers prefer not to be sued, so they have policies which help them to show they are complying with the law.

Any search engine will locate this information. A basic search will reveal any number of organisations explaining what their equality, diversity and recruitment policies are.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by 999tigger
Its non compulsory. you dont have to fill it in if you dont want to, so they dont demand.

The source in peoples general understanding about disctimination and people making claims under discrimination laws. These have all been consolidated into the Equality Act 2010. If employers dont comply then an employee or applicant can bring a case for discrimination for which the employer cand be made to pay damages.

Employers prefer not to be sued, so they have policies which help them to show they are complying with the law.

Any search engine will locate this information. A basic search will reveal any number of organisations explaining what their equality, diversity and recruitment policies are.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/discrimination/about-discrimination/equality-act-2010-discrimination-and-your-rights/

Best answer so far.
White companies? I thought pretty every company did that. Its just basic info like your gender,
Quotas, quotas, quotas.

I avoid mentioning my ethnicity on forms and applications if possible, lest I get 'positively' discriminated against. Equal opertunities my ass.

It's sad, but I every time I see a minority or woman get promoted, hired for something important, or get an award of whatever, I automatically assume it was due to tokenism. You just don't know anymore.
Original post by M14B
What is a white company?

http://www.whitesestateagents.co.uk/

?
Original post by Erebor
This. So they can hire women/non-whites to fill their PC quotas even when those people are less able/qualified. Happens with uni applications as well. That's straight white male patriarchy for ya...

As the other person. Non white, got a 1st degree, got a job in 2 weeks. Jelly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending