The Student Room Group

Teacher Marking?

So, I had doubts that my teacher wasn't giving me nor the class correct marks while marking questions. I had a feeling the grades that were given to us were massively under graded.

This is when I decided to do a little test on my teacher. What I did was that I went onto the exam boards websites and found the exemplar candidate answers and looked for a 12 mark question. One of the students got 12/12 (full marks), so I decided to write his answer as my own and see what my teacher would give it out of 12. After I got the results back for it, I was shocked at how my teacher couldn't mark exam papers and was shocked no one noticed that he couldn't mark either. I scored 4/12 (66% less than what It should have got).

Presently after getting these results back, I don't know what I should say to the teacher, or what to say to the teacher for that fact. Now Studentroom, I need your help to tell me what to do next, because our work is not getting marked properly this close to the exams.

Scroll to see replies

What subject is this for? Does your teacher's marking actually count (IE are you doing coursework that is marked in school rather than by the exam board)? You could make a complaint to the headteacher about your concerns, if you treat it seriously and say you'd like to make a formal complaint then they're much more likely to take you seriously.
Reply 2
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
What subject is this for? Does your teacher's marking actually count (IE are you doing coursework that is marked in school rather than by the exam board)? You could make a complaint to the headteacher about your concerns, if you treat it seriously and say you'd like to make a formal complaint then they're much more likely to take you seriously.

The teachers marking doesn't count. But I do feel like we aren't getting the correct feedback from the teacher when his list of improvements were 'more explanation'. This is the AQA Psychology, I don't think its that serious for the headteacher.
Reply 3
any more opinions on this matter? What would you do?
Original post by Drunq
any more opinions on this matter? What would you do?

Clearly favoritism....like honestly what kind of teacher would do that?? Umm I think that you should go and speak to your teacher, and of course the'll accuse you of cheating and all, but you just need to make it clear that there is something going wrong with the way that this teacher of yours marks. Or if not go to the head of department and tell them what you said here...Honestly what kind of teacher : a, does not notice that they are marking another copy of the same thing, b, give it a complete different mark and then think yup I've done my job? Stupid or what??
Reply 5
Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun
Clearly favoritism....like honestly what kind of teacher would do that?? Umm I think that you should go and speak to your teacher, and of course the'll accuse you of cheating and all, but you just need to make it clear that there is something going wrong with the way that this teacher of yours marks. Or if not go to the head of department and tell them what you said here...Honestly what kind of teacher : a, does not notice that they are marking another copy of the same thing, b, give it a complete different mark and then think yup I've done my job? Stupid or what??

Agreed, It was a good test on my behalf on the teacher to prove that the marking wasn't done correctly. I think I will speak to that teacher and will confront him that he may have an incapability of marking a paper at the standards required.
Original post by Drunq
Agreed, It was a good test on my behalf on the teacher to prove that the marking wasn't done correctly. I think I will speak to that teacher and will confront him that he may have an incapability of marking a paper at the standards required.

Tell me when you do!! I really want to hear this!
Reply 7
Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun
Tell me when you do!! I really want to hear this!

Next lesson is on wednesday. Quite nervous for this because I wouldn't like to tell him that he cannot mark and he should step up his game. But it has to be done.
Original post by Drunq
Next lesson is on wednesday. Quite nervous for this because I wouldn't like to tell him that he cannot mark and he should step up his game. But it has to be done.

Dont be scared-I remember telling my english teacher he was a bad teacher...lol-that turned out well
Tbh I would rather get massively undermarked by my teachers than massively overmarked.
Original post by Drunq
So, I had doubts that my teacher wasn't giving me nor the class correct marks while marking questions. I had a feeling the grades that were given to us were massively under graded.

This is when I decided to do a little test on my teacher. What I did was that I went onto the exam boards websites and found the exemplar candidate answers and looked for a 12 mark question. One of the students got 12/12 (full marks), so I decided to write his answer as my own and see what my teacher would give it out of 12. After I got the results back for it, I was shocked at how my teacher couldn't mark exam papers and was shocked no one noticed that he couldn't mark either. I scored 4/12 (66% less than what It should have got).

Presently after getting these results back, I don't know what I should say to the teacher, or what to say to the teacher for that fact. Now Studentroom, I need your help to tell me what to do next, because our work is not getting marked properly this close to the exams.

I do this when marking. I give 6/12 for answers I'd give12/12 for in an exam situation.

The reason is because when you're doing these with all of your notes accessible the standard should be higher than in an exam where you are relying on your memory etc.
Reply 11
Original post by l'insegnante
I do this when marking. I give 6/12 for answers I'd give12/12 for in an exam situation.

The reason is because when you're doing these with all of your notes accessible the standard should be higher than in an exam where you are relying on your memory etc.

But wouldn't that discourage you. I was nearly at the stage of saying "f&^% this subject", because i was scoring so low for answers i thought i'd get near 80-90% on. But after I did this small test on my teacher I know he wasn't marking properly or heavily under marking (up to 70% less marks), which is a killer.

Personally i do questions without any notes accessible to me, and revise for each section before I take it, and of course time myself. And in this case you have around 15 minutes to write a 12 mark essay. It is not possible to write pages of work, it simply isn't, and the fact is the teacher knew I had timed myself for every test.

I'll show you how much a downscale is even in your case. Okay, you mark it down by 50%. Let us say you got an A. Give or take this is around 58/72. If this was the exam and it was downscaled by 50% that'll give us 28/72, which is equal to around a U/E. Is that fair?

Wouldn't you be frustrated if you were the student? Thanks for the reply by the way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Tbh I would rather get massively undermarked by my teachers than massively overmarked.

I'd rather get the correct mark than being heavily under marked. ( :
Reply 13
Does anyone have any other opinions on this?
I have no problem with being under marked. My law teacher does it to challenge me. At the start of the year he was giving me 10/10 on all assessments and he gradually dropped it to an 8 in hope that I could pick up and add even more information.

However what you're experiencing there is pure favouritism. I wouldn't confront the teacher as that might not go down too well (he could become a bit annoyed and then mark you down even lower). I would talk to the head of department, and if that doesn't work talk to your head of sixth form. Just remember we're all here to support each other through these nasty 2 years.
Original post by Drunq
But wouldn't that discourage you. I was nearly at the stage of saying "f&^% this subject", because i was scoring so low for answers i thought i'd get near 80-90% on. But after I did this small test on my teacher I know he wasn't marking properly or heavily under marking (up to 70% less marks), which is a killer.

Personally i do questions without any notes accessible to me, and revise for each section before I take it, and of course time myself. And in this case you have around 15 minutes to write a 12 mark essay. It is not possible to write pages of work, it simply isn't, and the fact is the teacher knew I had timed myself for every test.

I'll show you how much a downscale is even in your case. Okay, you mark it down by 50%. Let us say you got an A. Give or take this is around 58/72. If this was the exam and it was downscaled by 50% that'll give us 28/72, which is equal to around a U/E. Is that fair?

Wouldn't you be frustrated if you were the student? Thanks for the reply by the way.

My pupils know I do it and it makes them work harder and then they're more prepared for the exam. If they've done it timed without notes then I get them to write that at the top of the sheet and I mark it as though they were in an exam. However, if they've done it with notes I expect more detail because they've used their notes. Writing an essay with their notes is not their exam so therefore they should have everything from their notes included to give them a valuable revision resource.

I experienced it when I was a pupil myself and it made me work harder.

The fact that you did a 'test' on the teacher instead of just asking why you were under marked or going to your head of year or the head of department is immature and I'm willing to bet if you go to teachers saying this you will get in trouble.
Original post by Drunq

Talking to your teacher is good, but be careful how you do the confronting. Its better to be under than overmarked. the exact opposite is happening on another thread.

I see from Insegnante you may have had your notes. I cnat see where you disclosed that and assumed it was exam conditions? If what insegnante said was true, then you would be under a higher standard if it was open book or not even an exam, but the teacher should make you aware. Imo they should just score it as the marks you would get from the exam so you know you are in the correct area, but point out it will be harder under exam conditions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by l'insegnante

The fact that you did a 'test' on the teacher instead of just asking why you were under marked or going to your head of year or the head of department is immature and I'm willing to bet if you go to teachers saying this you will get in trouble.

I did ask why I was under marked, and the teacher just kept going about adding more information, and I explained to him there is only so much you can write for a 12 mark answer in 15 minutes. And he understood that point, and I also explained to him I deserved way more marks for my work and he simply disagreed. When I hand him an essay (12 mark answer) in, he gives it to the whole class photocopied (which i don't mind, but he should of asked), he keeps explaining that there just isn't enough information and everyone usually agreed.

This is where the 'test' came in, like i said. So yes I did copy down an answer from the AQA exemplar work to test if it is something other than the work i produced. And he did photocopy it and hand it to the whole class and I got a test score of 4/12. He explained there wasn't enough information to support the question.

Now, I'm thinking to myself, ok... this answer got full marks by an examiner. Then I agreed that every examiner is different and will hand different mark out, this is usually by a margin of +/- 10-20%. So before i got that question back I was expecting at least 9 marks for a question that was clearly full marks. The fact that the question got 4/12 which is 66% less than what it should have got, puts me in doubt of how my teacher marks.

Maybe he just sucks at marking papers. Maybe he's picking on me. Maybe he wants me to work harder (in this case, my hands have to move like sonic if he wants me to write more, physically impossible).

Because you are a teacher, what do you think I should do, and what do you think the problem is? Thanks.
Reply 18
Update to this article: so I told my teacher that my work didn't deserve 4 marks and I explained to him that I got it from a student exemplar work that got 12/12. He wasn't annoyed about it, and was quite proud I had to courage to tell him about it. So we were talking about how it should have got more, however he kept persistent that it was still 4/12 (like wtf?) he kept saying there wasn't enough detail and AQA were wrong to mark it that way. So he kept going on about how he was going to complain to AQA about it. I believe it was all an act to cover up the lack of knowledge he had for marking exam questions. He looked over my previous work I told him I thought was heavily under marked, they were doubled in marks! It took us 2 hours to go over the questions I've done and he agreed they should be more. (8/24 turned into 18/24). However he's still persistent that AQA are wrong and that he marked the exemplar work correctly (which he gave 4/12 and AQA have 12/12). So is he playing mind games? Does he know he was wrong?

By the way this was done in front of half our class, as he insisted that he doesn't hide any information or accusations from anyone. I think they were just laughing at all of it for me confronting him.
Original post by Drunq
Update to this article: so I told my teacher that my work didn't deserve 4 marks and I explained to him that I got it from a student exemplar work that got 12/12. He wasn't annoyed about it, and was quite proud I had to courage to tell him about it. So we were talking about how it should have got more, however he kept persistent that it was still 4/12 (like wtf?) he kept saying there wasn't enough detail and AQA were wrong to mark it that way. So he kept going on about how he was going to complain to AQA about it. I believe it was all an act to cover up the lack of knowledge he had for marking exam questions. He looked over my previous work I told him I thought was heavily under marked, they were doubled in marks! It took us 2 hours to go over the questions I've done and he agreed they should be more. (8/24 turned into 18/24). However he's still persistent that AQA are wrong and that he marked the exemplar work correctly (which he gave 4/12 and AQA have 12/12). So is he playing mind games? Does he know he was wrong?

By the way this was done in front of half our class, as he insisted that he doesn't hide any information or accusations from anyone. I think they were just laughing at all of it for me confronting him.

Yeah, it's just seems like a cover up. You can't challenge AQA standardisation material - they are selected by the senior examiners who make the mark schemes and this type of resource is used to exemplify the standard to the examiners who will be marking your official script when you sit the paper.

If the senior examiners deem it to be a 12/12, then that is the standard for 12/12. Of course there can be fluidity in a candidate's response, but an 8 mark discrepancy (I'd hate to hear the band discrepancy) is pure lunacy!

Quick Reply

Latest