The Student Room Group

C2

If I draw a quadrant diagram and make it look like I've used my quadrant diagram to find the solutions of a trigonometry equation can I use my graphics calculator to find all the solutions to the equation?????????????????

will i lose any marks
Reply 1
Original post by Naruke
If I draw a quadrant diagram and make it look like I've used my quadrant diagram to find the solutions of a trigonometry equation can I use my graphics calculator to find all the solutions to the equation?????????????????

will i lose any marks

I... what? Well, you'll need to be more specific. I think you'd lose a method mark or two depending on what exactly you're talking about.

Off-topic: but why don't you just understand the damn thing and not rely on a calculator to do it for you?
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
I... what? Well, you'll need to be more specific. I think you'd lose a method mark or two depending on what exactly you're talking about.

Off-topic: but why don't you just understand the damn thing and not rely on a calculator to do it for you?

Because unfortunately, I have a life and don't have the time to sit down and try to understand Maths that I'll never use again in my life.

Now, with the pic that I attached, you can see that I've drawn a cosine graph and a quadrant diagram to make it look like I know what I'm doing. Would this be ok?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Naruke
Because unfortunately, I have a life and don't have the time to sit down and try to understand Maths that I'll never use again in my life.

Why are you taking it at A-Level, then?

Now, with the pic that I attached, you can see that I've drawn a cosine graph and a quadrant diagram to make it look like I know what I'm doing. Would this be ok? photo (1).jpg

That should get you all the marks.
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Why are you taking it at A-Level, then?

That should get you all the marks.

Thanks

and

parents
Reply 5
Original post by Naruke
Thanks

and

parents

Sorry, took a closer look at your answer. It is incorrect. You'd only get 4/5 marks.
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Sorry, took a closer look at your answer. It is incorrect. You'd only get 4/5 marks.

what would i need to do for full marks
Reply 7
Original post by Naruke
what would i need to do for full marks

Understand how to solve trig equations and why x=75.5 is not a solution.
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Understand how to solve trig equations and why x=75.5 is not a solution.

I doubt that I have to understand anything as a lot of people get very good grades just with the help of their calculators

Are you 100% sure, 75.5 is not a solution because my calculator, examsolutions and the mark scheme say it is
Reply 9
Original post by Naruke
I doubt that I have to understand anything as a lot of people get very good grades just with the help of their calculators

Are you 100% sure, 75.5 is not a solution because my calculator, examsolutions and the mark scheme say it is

Urgh, sorry. Yes it is - I was looking at a dumb thing. If you got one of them wrong though, you'd lose out on both a method and an accuracy mark. Whereas if you showed the method but got the answer wrong, you'd get the method mark at least.
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
Urgh, sorry. Yes it is - I was looking at a dumb thing. If you got one of them wrong though, you'd lose out on both a method and an accuracy mark. Whereas if you showed the method but got the answer wrong, you'd get the method mark at least.

So, that would be full marks, yes?

I recommend you get a Graphics calculator, it will prevent you losing marks, if you look at a dumb thing in the exam :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Naruke
So, that would be full marks, yes?

I recommend you get a Graphics calculator, it will prevent you losing marks, if you look at a dumb thing in the exam :smile:

Yep.

Thank you, but I think I'll be sticking with actually understanding what I'm doing. :smile:
Before you do what Zacken told you to do, learn how to draw a cos graph.
Reply 13
Original post by morgan8002

It was a quick sketch calm down
Original post by Naruke
It was a quick sketch calm down

By the end of it you were 90o90^o out of phase with a cos graph(not mentioning the non-constant amplitude).
Reply 15

+ I don't need to learn how to sketch anything as my calculator can do it for me :biggrin:
Original post by Naruke
+ I don't need to learn how to sketch anything as my calculator can do it for me :biggrin:

Sure. Make your parents proud with your mad calculator skilz.
Reply 17
Sure. Make your parents proud with your mad calculator skilz.

kk
This thread :toofunny::rofl3::rofl3:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply