The Student Room Group

Article: Can you predict exam questions?

The answer is well...kinda. Read the article here and join the chat below.

Scroll to see replies

Does that match your own experiences and teachers' advice? What's your view?
Reply 2
Can't access the page :iiam:
Original post by elen90

nor can I

Spoiler

Original post by elen90

Original post by Lemur14
nor can I

Thanks for the heads-up folks - fixed now. :smile:
Original post by shooks
Thanks for the heads-up folks - fixed now. :smile:

Great thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Don't ever attempt to predict exam questions! I did this for my AS history exam and not so epically failed getting a U, and I swear its not worth the risk if you want to be happy on results day! :smile:
Some of the modules in A-level maths/further maths have the same structure each year. For AQA FP3, question 1 is pretty much exactly the same every year.
For sociology, english and mostly other essay-based subjects, it's most definitely easier to predict.
For last year's sociology AS exams, TSR was nearly spot-on with what would come.
Predicting the questions is sometimes the only thing you can do if you've realised that you've run out of revision time as you've been procrastinating the whole year.
Reply 9
Original post by Niamh_sm
Don't ever attempt to predict exam questions! I did this for my AS history exam and not so epically failed getting a U, and I swear its not worth the risk if you want to be happy on results day! :smile:

I think it's okay to predict as long as you don't rely on those predictions and revise other things.

For my AS history I was spot on with one question, word for word. I almost whooped in the exam hall. Then I did the other two questions anyway :facepalm:
Original post by ScarletXxXRose
For sociology, english and mostly other essay-based subjects, it's most definitely easier to predict.
For last year's sociology AS exams, TSR was nearly spot-on with what would come.
Predicting the questions is sometimes the only thing you can do if you've realised that you've run out of revision time as you've been procrastinating the whole year.

I totally agree, Psychology questions are also easy to predict... the long questions will usually be asking you to recall a study and write down the aim, method, results, conclusion and evaluation.
Law is the easiest to predict. Same questions in section 1 every year usually. Just steps through parliament, advantages and disadvantages of an influence or parliament and describe an influence. Occasionally they sneak in a parliamentary supremacy question.

I wouldn't advise predicting your exam questions as you could enter and it could be the complete opposite.
In A Level Maths, the questions can either be familiar and easy or different and frustrating.

My C4 AQA Maths exam actually copied some Solomon Paper questions and changed the numbers! Good for me who did Solomon Papers, not good for my classmates who didn't do them.
Original post by SecretDuck
In A Level Maths, the questions can either be familiar and easy or different and frustrating.

My C4 AQA Maths exam actually copied some Solomon Paper questions and changed the numbers! Good for me who did Solomon Papers, not good for my classmates who didn't do them.

"Solomon Papers" ? What are those?
Original post by AhmedMA99
"Solomon Papers" ? What are those?

They're Maths papers from back in the day which are supposed to be harder than the real papers. They don't hold your hand and you're left to do an entire question on your own.

I'd recommend to do them along with past papers. I wouldn't have gotten an A without both of them.
They're Maths papers from back in the day which are supposed to be harder than the real papers. They don't hold your hand and you're left to do an entire question on your own.

I'd recommend to do them along with past papers. I wouldn't have gotten an A without both of them.

Gonna check them out! Thanks!!
Original post by AhmedMA99
Gonna check them out! Thanks!!

Happy to help :smile:
Ya know what? Nope? Well...

The amount of time I hear some people discussing what topics are going to come up, or what questions they're going to get, if they spent that much time actually doing the revision, they wouldn't need to guess the ****ing questions and they'd do fine!
Original post by mobbsy91
Ya know what? Nope? Well...

The amount of time I hear some people discussing what topics are going to come up, or what questions they're going to get, if they spent that much time actually doing the revision, they wouldn't need to guess the ****ing questions and they'd do fine!

Yeah, so true!

I did a wide variety of questions, ranging from super easy to tear-your-hair-out hard, covering all bases just in case. Just because an examiner can only ask you about something on the syllabus, it doesn't mean it will necessary be a type of question you've seen before.

Example is Maths implicit differentiation. Past papers just ask you to differentiate it but the Solomon papers ask you to find the stationary points in one single question. The final exam had the Solomon-paper-style question and I did well on that question.
Yeah, so true!

I did a wide variety of questions, ranging from super easy to tear-your-hair-out hard, covering all bases just in case. Just because an examiner can only ask you about something on the syllabus, it doesn't mean it will necessary be a type of question you've seen before.

Example is Maths implicit differentiation. Past papers just ask you to differentiate it but the Solomon papers ask you to find the stationary points in one single question. The final exam had the Solomon-paper-style question and I did well on that question.

Haha yeh, the Solomon papers are really great for revision!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending