The Student Room Group

Casio FX991 ES banned??

Is it banned in a level exams. It is able to solve algebraic quadratics and cubics,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HkZcagmiwQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Xenon17
Is it banned in a level exams. It is able to solve algebraic quadratics and cubics,

It's not banned. It doesn't perform any symbolic algebra manipulation.
Reply 2
Original post by Xenon17

It's allowed! You shouId get this: Casio FX-9750GPlus

Can soIve trig equations and other things but check youtube
Original post by notnek
It's not banned. It doesn't perform any symbolic algebra manipulation.

Original post by Naruke
It's allowed! You shouId get this: Casio FX-9750GPlus

Can soIve trig equations and other things but check youtube

Are you serious its allowed. This just means you can effectively bypass learning methods like algebraic long division and method of inspection for C2
Reply 4
Original post by Xenon17
Are you serious its allowed. This just means you can effectively bypass learning methods like algebraic long division and method of inspection for C2

Yes, but make sure you show some working to make it Iook Iegit

The caIcuIator I Iinked can soIve binomiaI expansions to
Reply 5
Original post by Xenon17

And then have it bite you in the ass later down the line; plus you still need to show working in exam papers.
Reply 6
Original post by Xenon17

Yes it's allowed.

You need to know how to do it manually to show working and get the marks.
Original post by Zacken
And then have it bite you in the ass later down the line; plus you still need to show working in exam papers.

Didn't say I was using it please go elsewhere.
Original post by notnek
Yes it's allowed.

You need to know how to do it manually to show working and get the marks.

How about
Casio FX-9750GPlus

this essentially ensures 100% in every paper
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken

so you wouldn't recommend its use?

or should you use for double checking?
Reply 10
Original post by Xenon17
Didn't say I was using it please go elsewhere.

lol
Reply 11
Original post by Jassy16
so you wouldn't recommend its use?

or should you use for double checking?

It'd be extremely useful for double checking your answer. Definitely use it in that respect (or any other calculator, for that matter) - but don't use it as a substitute for actually knowing what you're doing.
Reply 12
Original post by Xenon17
How about
Casio FX-9750GPlus

Yup!
Reply 13
Original post by Xenon17
How about
Casio FX-9750GPlus

That's allowed.

It gives you a slight advantage but not much. Probably won't increase your grade.
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
It'd be extremely useful for double checking your answer. Definitely use it in that respect (or any other calculator, for that matter) - but don't use it as a substitute for actually knowing what you're doing.

I agree with this.

If you finish an exam paper early then check what you can using the calculator.

Some teachers actively tell students not to use their calculator in this way - I don't. If it's allowed by exam boards then I see no reason why you shouldn't use it to your advantage.
Reply 15
but don't use it as a substitute for actually knowing what you're doing

This is not to say that you can't use it as a substitute for understanding. A lot of people in the year above have these Casio graphical calculators, they have no clue how to actually solve most questions on Exam Papers but they are very good at utilising these calculators.
Reply 16
Original post by Naruke
but don't use it as a substitute for actually knowing what you're doing

This is not to say that you can't use it as a substitute for understanding. A lot of people in the year above have these Casio graphical calculators, they have no clue how to actually solve most questions on Exam Papers but they are very good at utilising these calculators.

Sorry but I'd have to see that to believe it.

An allowed calculator won't stop you failing if you don't have understanding.

E.g. a C2 paper:

1) Binomial : Calculator won't help you expand it
2) Trig equation : Calculator won't get you any working marks
3) Radians : Calculator won't give any advantange.
4) Logs : Won't get working marks

etc.
Honestly a graphical calculator is allowed, (Also mentioned on Edexcel website that it's allowed provided it does not do symbolic calculus).

There's a slight disadvantage to students without it in C3 in my opinion, because of the domain/range stuff.

I don't use a graphical calculator, and don't really plan on using one.

Original post by notnek
Sorry but I'd have to see that to believe it.An allowed calculator won't stop you failing if you don't have understanding.E.g. a C2 paper:1) Binomial : Calculator won't help you expand it2) Trig equation : Calculator won't get you any working marks3) Radians : Calculator won't give any advantange.4) Logs : Won't get working marksetc.
For C2, a graphical calculator is just unnecessary.

Original post by Naruke
but don't use it as a substitute for actually knowing what you're doingThis is not to say that you can't use it as a substitute for understanding. A lot of people in the year above have these Casio graphical calculators, they have no clue how to actually solve most questions on Exam Papers but they are very good at utilising these calculators.
You can never succeed in math, if you don't know whats the logic and understanding behind something.

I don't believe you can get outstanding marks just by utilizing a graphical calculator. You could pass, but getting a top grade, nope.

Moreover later down the road, you'll struggle pretty hard definitely.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hmm...

I believe these calculators really do give a great advantage. For example, say if I wanted to find the maximum of a function and was unsure whether my final answer was right or wrong, I could simply type it into my calculator and check whether I need to revisit my workings or leave it as it is.

Same goes for finding areas with integration.
Same goes for Logs
Same goes for binomial expansion
Same goes for Trig
Same goes for Circles
Same goes for the C2 Alegbra

However, people without these calculators are put at an unfair disadvantage. If it was my decision I'd say we should all use these bad boys: The Casio fx-83 GT Plus.
Reply 19
Original post by LelouchViRuge

However, people without these calculators are put at an unfair disadvantage. If it was my decision I'd say we should all use these bad boys: The Casio fx-83 GT Plus.

If it was my decision, I'd say we should all use no calculators. That'd encourage a modicum of thinking, at least.

Quick Reply

Latest