The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
100% agree. This pisses me off royally. Never heard anyone else have the same view as me on this.
:yy:
Would you prefer it if we said "varsity"? :holmes:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm looking forward to uni
Reply 5
Original post by Davalla
100% agree. This pisses me off royally. Never heard anyone else have the same view as me on this.
:yy:

Its cos we have class.
Reply 6
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

No not really - "university" is good.

Its the short form of a word which should have a bit of class and the short form turns it into something annoying lol
Further Education.
Would you prefer we said "varsity"?

Yes.

The word "uni" is an Australianism that entered British English courtesy of Neighbours

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stop using abbreviations where the first result on google for it (with meaning added) is the definition from urban dictionary and would be used by someone sending a message on their phone in Costa.

Vikingninja has spoken.

Also Cambridge dictionary (as well as some other places including google itself) gives a definition of uni so it is correct.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mojo Banjo
No not really - "university" is good.

Its the short form of a word which should have a bit of class and the short form turns it into something annoying lol

But "university" has so many syllables :cry: It also erases the character count on twitter :dry:
Reply 11
Original post by Mojo Banjo
Basically, as someone with an extremely powerful brain, I find it annoying.

And its invariably highly talkative short girls in their early twenties with MacBooks, holding a costa that come up to you and start nattering about "uni".

Its University, my friends.

Not "Cambridge Uni" SMH

MOJOBANJO has spoken.

Count to 10, then deep breaths
Original post by nulli tertius
Yes.The word "uni" is an Australianism that entered British English courtesy of Neighbours

I can't say varsity. It sounds way too "rah" for me :eek3: I like the Australians, they're a lovely bunch :love:
Imagine getting rustled by a colloquialism
(edited 7 years ago)

Struggling to believe the coincidence of this thread after our backstage conversation yesterday...
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Struggling to believe the coincidence of this thread after our backstage conversation yesterday...

Collective unconcious? :eek3:

Higher Education providers :yep:
Collective unconcious? :eek3:

Security breach?

Latest