The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Leeds or Birmingham?

Hello, I'm currently stuck between these two universities for the course of Joint Honours Economics and Geography.
I was originally planning to firm Exeter, but I got an offer from the Cornwall campus which is way too far for me, as I discovered as I drove there (5 hours, and it's 6/7 hours by train). Never again.

I've considered the advantages and disadvantages, but I can't seem to make up my mind.

Leeds
Advantages:
- Cheaper
- Offers a Year in Industry
- Degree has a much higher graduate employment rate than the one offered at Birmingham
- Better accommodation at a cheaper price
Disadvantages:
- 2.5 hours away
- Campus is very... concrete-based. Business school is very nice though
- The North = cold

Birmingham
Advantages:
- Closer (50 minutes away)
- Better 'reputation'?
- Nicer, greener campus
- Very familiar with city (been to Bham so many times...)
Disadvantages:
- No Year in Industry offered
- Not great employability stats for my degree
- Accommodation is fairly expensive
- Family have said they'll visit at least one a fortnight... Not sure if I want that

Kind of a head vs heart decision.

Thank you.
Original post by Peppercrunch
Hello, I'm currently stuck between these two universities for the course of Joint Honours Economics and Geography.
I was originally planning to firm Exeter, but I got an offer from the Cornwall campus which is way too far for me, as I discovered as I drove there (5 hours, and it's 6/7 hours by train). Never again.

I've considered the advantages and disadvantages, but I can't seem to make up my mind.

Leeds
Advantages:
- Cheaper
- Offers a Year in Industry
- Degree has a much higher graduate employment rate than the one offered at Birmingham
- Better accommodation at a cheaper price
Disadvantages:
- 2.5 hours away
- Campus is very... concrete-based. Business school is very nice though
- The North = cold

Birmingham
Advantages:
- Closer (50 minutes away)
- Better 'reputation'?
- Nicer, greener campus
- Very familiar with city (been to Bham so many times...)
Disadvantages:
- No Year in Industry offered
- Not great employability stats for my degree
- Accommodation is fairly expensive
- Family have said they'll visit at least one a fortnight... Not sure if I want that

Kind of a head vs heart decision.

Thank you.

Both universities have a great reputation. Birmingham is well respected for its research, however Leeds having the placement year is invaluable. You won't care about the design of the buildings and the extra £500 or £1500 a year for accommodation once your employed.

A coat will fix the cold :wink:

I personally prefer Birmingham but that's because of the rankings and the research status which is important to me.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending